Feature Request A NovelUpdates Rating & Review System

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Nom de Plume, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I like our current system. The ability to sort review based on usefullness would be nice, but going further would be a pain. I pretty much agree with remy. Longer review is not always more useful

Nom de Plume likes this.
  2. Archerreborn2

Archerreborn2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda agree with the up-vote system. Except maybe rewording it into a "X amount of people found this review helpful". I don't think a 10 star system will actually change anything though, as people will just tend to vote higher and higher. And forcing reviews to be incredibly detailed and thorough will just demotivate the majority of people from reviewing.

Nom de Plume and Shio like this.
  3. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    so basically you want it a bit like MAL?

false likes this.
  4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    holy ship...i can only imagine how much time that took..all for just a suggestion which may not even be implemented...

Nom de Plume likes this.
  5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, the problems I've experienced have been whenever I am trying to search for a new novel. Sometimes the description doesn't tell me anything about the novel or there isn't a description at all. Then I scroll down to see how many stars it has. Wow! It has so many by at least 5 users. Unfortunately, they only rated it and did not review so I still don't know anything about the novel. I think I stumbled onto an only-slightly-better-than-machine-translated novel that had the protagonist almost raped...every chapter? I was disappointed. Other times, I just want to find novels other people like within a genre, so I will filter, say, Xianxia novels and then sort by Rating! This also doesn't usually help me find a new novel...

6. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    In Paint. While Playing Monopoly and keeping up with this thread intermittently. I get bored...
    Is it tasty? What is MAL? Can we eat it? Do you like it? I am assuming it is a rating system? Can novels eat it?
    Anything will help. I at least want the X amount of people found this review helpful. I feel it would motivate users to create quality reviews. :)

Random likes this.
  7. Kyubey

Kyubey 第四ラボメンバー

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened with the user taste likeness idea? Since everything is subjective, I'd found those with similar taste (or other metrics) with me to be more trustworthy than some anonymous whom I don't know.

remy911 and Nom de Plume like this.
  8. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Nyanko's three would be
    "Pacing" - How good the pacing is
    "Interest" - How interesting it is
    "Nextability" - How often do I want to read the updates

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I would as well. Reading List Compatibility would be Awesome. At the very least, being able to find and read the reviews someone with your taste has made, or finding out what people with similar lists are reading. Then of course the ability to blacklist certain novels from appearing within these recommendations.

The only thing is that it would require a lot of work to make a reality. On top of that, determining the 'metrics' that decide whether you and others have the same taste. I think that FIRST there needs to be an easy way to know what people like about X novel. The tags/genre are a great start, but are a bit vague and do not define elements such as pacing. Ze Tian Ji, for example, has a nice steady pace. I would say the same of Douluo Dalu. Unfortunately, I can't just search 'hey, steady-paced cultivation to become strong". I can search Weak-to-Strong Xianxia, but I just get flooded with things I've already read or I find that the story has these things, but turns into repetitive revenge killings. (It is Xianxia...) I'm going off topic...

Uhh, essentially I think the idea is amazing but the implementation might be difficult. For now, I will keep sulking in the tiny related novels section (since this is the only way I find anything new anymore).

Reading List Compatibility would be so cool though...

10. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why you quoted me since your issue and what I addressed are different. This is a problem in tagging and not reviews. You said it yourself, reviews and description are absent from the novel you read. Specific tag like rape or whatever is what you need.

Sorting by rating is irrelevant for me, what I look for are reviews. If a review is absent, the system isn't at fault. You can leave your own review or add description about the novel you've read.

11. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    My Apologies.

12. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    np

Nom de Plume likes this.
  13. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    MAL is myanimelist
    their rating system is good

Nom de Plume and little king like this.
  14. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This would be nice but I feel like it'll be too hard for the average novelupdates.com user. I've seen a lot of bad reviews.

It's one of the features I would like to implement but I think it's a bit hard. I won't know until I try it.

YES, I like the current system too but a few changes is needed. Features I plan on adding:
    • Let users like/dislike reviews
    • Sort reviews by date/likes
    • Long reviews should have a "show more..."
    Not sure what else I have planned but that's on top of my head.

A 10 star rating system would be nice but it would take too much time right now. I think a 5 star rating is fine for now. I'll change it when I can I guess.

15. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony laying the smack down on our users.

I wanna see who I'm compatible with since I have 415+ novels on my list.
    5 star is good imho.

(I also want a special tag that says "NU STAFF REVIEW") .... for reasons... ye know.. reasons..

(Nah I don't need the tag it was a joke k?)

Nom de Plume likes this.