Spoiler A Painting of the Villainess as a Young Lady / 악녀는 그림을 그린다

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by dunnoperson_, Apr 27, 2022.

1. dunnoperson_

dunnoperson_ was reading your spoiler

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Associated Names:
    The Villainess Paints A Picture
    The Evil Woman Draws A Picture
    악녀는 그림을 그린다
    Author:
    리티티
    Year:
    Ongoing

DESCRIPTION:

A villainess known by all as a wicked woman who has done all sorts of evil deeds—Ducal Princess Violet.
    She regained her memories of her previous life after she fell into a lake and almost died.
    The very moment she woke up, she immediately visited her father, Duke Everett, and asked one thing.

“Please confine me to the annex.”

And so, she imprisoned herself there.
    Now that Violet was secluded away from the world’s criticism and reproach,
    She immersed herself in her previous life’s memories and started painting them.

“What the hell are you up to this time?”

Everyone was suspicious of just what she might be scheming.
    However, the misunderstandings surrounding her gradually got resolved one at a time…

English Translation Novel:
    Original Novel:
    Korean Version

Korean Pick-Up Request Thread:
    The villainess paints a picture

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Spoiler Curator

Spoiler Curator Hi , Click Edit and Edit My Posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler Table of Contents Placeholder

Table of Contents
    • Chapter 100 spoiler
    • Chapter 250 spoiler
    Anyone is able to edit this post with an account. Please edit this post to link to spoilers in this thread as you find them. You are free to edit and remove anything within this post, including this placeholder text.

For more information, please visit: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/new-spoiler-plugin-for-the-forums.114103/

Tiis_Ganda likes this.
  3. Agavadon

Agavadon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

Naenia likes this.
  4. BellaReader

BellaReader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was taught in literature classes that this is called an allusion. ;)
    But official translations of the manhwa titles are not scrupulous either. So I think it's all right.
    I'm very curious to read a novel in the translation of this person, because I already read one piece in the translation of Yonnee and this is the most beautiful thing I have read from such translations.

5. tasyaaaa

tasyaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't see anything troubling from the title, though? I like her translation and her picking up beautiful novels~

donaiseiyuu and BellaReader like this.
  6. Packu

Packu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need some spoilers :(

Naenia likes this.
  7. yonnee

yonnee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It got kinda long, apologies in advance.

Hello there!

Thank you for pointing out these things~ Yep, I am aware that the subject of the title is ‘villainess’. 그림 is, as you know, ‘painting’, ‘drawing’, ‘picture’, ‘illustration’, etc. And 그린다 is ‘to draw’ (when attached to the verb stem, the -ㄴ다 form makes the verb neutral). I’ve decided to take inspiration from James Joyce’s novel, ‘A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man’ for the title because I really do think the English title is going to be too bland if it’s just ‘The Villainess Paints a Picture’. There’s no deeper meaning behind it than just that.

Though if I were to explain it further, it’s true that the English title has now changed its focus from the ‘villainess’ to the ‘painting’, and what you’ve pointed out is a valid concern, but I do also want to express that since I’ve drawn a parallel between this novel and Joyce’s novel, the ‘portrait’ is not the main focus of that title either as it what that portrait reflects about the artist/young man. In the same way, the ‘painting’ partly becomes the focus of the title only because it is a reflection of the life of the ‘villainess’ who has been stripped of that negative title and is now identified as a ‘young lady’ instead of the monikers she had been given.

I have also made certain changes to the titles of some other novels I’m translating, and to note a few instances: ‘The Exhausting Reality of Novel Transmigration’ is supposed to just be ‘I’m Tired of Novel Transmigration Now’, ‘Baby Princess Through the Status Window’ is just ‘The Baby Princess Who Can See Status Windows’ (for this, I took inspiration from ‘Alice Through the Looking Glass’ by Lewis Carroll) and ‘Life as a Tower Maid: Locked up with the Prince’ is just ‘Living as a Maid in Confinement’. Similar to the reason stated above, I found that if I were to translate the titles literally and as close to the original as possible, they’re going to be much too simple and might not catch the attention of the English-speaking audience (they certainly wouldn’t for me if I was the reader).

Given how saturated the internet already is with romance fantasy novels out there with similar titles, I thought, why not spice things up a little? Really, nothing serious. I’m just trying to have fun with it since I’m not an official translator anyway.

Though from just the title alone, I understand your concerns about the accuracy my work. If I’ve changed the title that much, what else have I changed in the content of the novel, right? If you’re concerned about the quality of my translations, you are free to cross check them if you’d like, I’m totally open to that. I do want to assure you that I don't make it a habit to change anything drastically—not just in this novel, but in all the novels I’m translating. I try to stick as close to the main text’s (raws’) original meaning as best as I could while still trying to preserve the author’s intent and the novel’s literariness. It couldn’t be helped if there are a few minor changes in phrasing, but that’s only because I also value localization compared to just giving the readers literal translations that would sound too robotic.

TL;DR: Yes, the English title has taken a departure from the original Korean title and that is an active decision on my part. I understand your stance and I acknowledge it. It’s been mentioned that I might be changing things in the content itself of the novel, and I assure you that I do not—I just spiced up the title.

Even so, I will continue translating this novel under the title ‘A Painting of the Villainess as a Young Lady’ while also keeping the alternate title ‘The Villainess Paints a Picture’ underneath it.

That’s it for me~ I won’t be replying to this thread anymore because the main purpose of it is to for spoilers. If there are still things you’d like to clarify or work out with me, my dms are open! You can also reach me through discord (you can find me through the public server of the group I’m translating this novel under). I’m always open to everyone’s input regarding my translations as I constantly strive to improve so that your reading experience can be more enjoyable <3

8. Naenia

Naenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers?

zoefleyl likes this.
  9. Glutton idiot

Glutton idiot Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe:hmm:

10. donaiseiyuu

donaiseiyuu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally think it’s a good change. Many authors and translators are inspired to change the name based off on famous books or to localize for the translated audience (see Murakami’s memoir about running, the girl with the dragon tattoo). Plus I think this change by the translator is quite clever. Perhaps it will inspire readers who enjoy the translation (for free I might add, which is already quite a privilege) to pick up some Joyce. People who are worrying about the integrity of the original work can perhaps purchase the original and translate it as they wish. I hope this doesn’t put off the translator from making clever translations like this in the future.

11. Arc en Ciel

Arc en Ciel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need spoilers:blobpeek:

Naenia and Turbostop like this.
  12. yi.lin27

yi.lin27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how many chapter does this novel have?

Naenia likes this.
  13. Rose thorns

Rose thorns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need spoilers:blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

14. Averyn

Averyn The Forum Lurker |ω・)ノ

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers please~
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

15. Eloisane

Eloisane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok...this is what I could grasp about the first 3 chapters posted by the translation group:
    Mikhail -> oldest brother
    Roen -> Second son, platinum blonde hair
    Cairn -> the third brother
    Eileen -> her cousin, Fluffy pink hair, lost her parents and was adopted by MC family
    MC -> the eldest sister of the family, she has silver hair
    MC mother -> She died, beautiful golden blonde hair
    MC father -> black hair.
    ML hasn't appeared, but I can't tell how will he look like:
    MC has silver hair
    Her father has black hair
    One of her brother's have blonde hair
    Also, seems like it's another story about a family neglecting OgMC and she becoming a villain who bullies the cousin, who seems to be a double faced bitch who has all the family love

16. Naenia

Naenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoiler?

Cutey Porcupiney likes this.
  17. SayuriMou

SayuriMou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

Naenia likes this.
  18. kali1

kali1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaahaaa I came for spoilers and ended up learning so much about titles!

19. zoefleyl

zoefleyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha me too and I keep clicking it thinking is spoilers but it just about the title

20. Lena36

Lena36 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers please :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

Turbostop likes this.