Discussion A Rant on Rant Threads

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Arcturus, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    So .....rant threads.

On a forum with as many novels as NUF has, there's bound to be people who vociferously dislike certain novels. This is to be expected. And so rant threads, such as the recent Absolute Choice is Absolute Shit, are a somewhat regular occurrence. Frequently, the OP of these threads brings up certain issues that he specifically finds problematic with the novel. Yet, I see, more often than not, that many of the posters on these threads respond with some form of "If you don't like it, then you can stop reading," or some less polite version of such.

It seems to me that for a forum with several sub-forums dedicated to discussing novels, these generic statements telling others to piss off are out of place. In fact it is such unwelcoming attitudes that cause many such threads to be eventually locked and discourage readers from discussing and continuing on with such novels. Discussion of the aspects of novels that other readers find problematic should be encouraged. I remember when I was still reading ATG or TDG many months ago, I was able to have discussions/arguments about the merits of the novels and certain aspects of them, without the discussions degenerating into outright hostility. In fact, I continued reading the novels, despite their shortcomings because of these excellent discussions. And when I stopped reading both of them, I was able to have a candid and short discussion about my reasons why and left the LCD thread rather amicably.

So in short, I would like to tell my fellow NUF users to stop being lazy, short-sighted and opinionated jerks and if you want to post on someone else's rant thread, please at least be respectful enough to put some thought into what you are saying.

Thank you.

2. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows maybe some people are having good days and bad days that lead them to be like that. But then again, they could just be ass hats or dumb asses.

3. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not asking for an explanation why. I'm telling people to just stop, and that I really don't care about their reasoning

AliceShiki and LordCorwin like this.
  4. DCLXVII

DCLXVII 『Team Deathmatch』『Desu_Tronic』『RMJI True Fan #1』

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot MGA. People just hate MGA when they have stopped reading at 700 chapters.

anboyjrocks and Hunta like this.
  5. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I was speaking about my own personal experience on discussion threads. I never actively discussed MGA on the forum

6. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    classic
    Everybody loves to hate MGA lol
    and it ain't that bad

Wowafay and DCLXVII like this.
  7. Tenor

Tenor Hard Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't like how we respond to these kinds of threads, then stop reading our posts.

8. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    i feel the inception is real with this thread.

can i make a rant on the rant on rants?

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't this more of a rant on lazy assholes over rant threads

10. HavekZero

HavekZero A well meaning, contributing member of this forum

Reading List:
    Link
    Your post just goes against what you stated in you first post...
    You have to realise that people no matter where or when are going to be oppiniated jerks whether consciously or unconsciously...
    Its like the fact that college is gonna be shit whether you like it or not. But if you spend your time bitching about it all the time its definetly gonna be shit however if you just go out and have fun instead it doesn't feel so crap

11. DeathStroke96

DeathStroke96 『President of Sindria Trading Co.』『Uncle』『GOD』

Reading List:
    Link
    have you seen the ATG, MGA, PMG and other such rant threads? they are only created so that the person who created them could have someone say "yes you are right it is shit" or "what did you expect" those threads are only created to create hate towards novels, and that absolute choice is absolute shit - 1. if that person wanted a proper discussion he/she should have called it something along the lines why do you reader like absolute choice instead of absolute shit... that is nothing but a hate thread...

Dupe2718, runsing, saekicchi and 6 others like this.
  12. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Arcturus, I agree with everything you said, but you have to have posted this realising what sort of response you're going to get, surely?

These types of people have no interest in intelligent discussion. They're kids looking for some way to briefly kill the boredom, like junkies looking for their next shot of heroin. They're going to do whatever the fuck they want, and there's nothing we or anyone can do to stop them.

The most we can hope for is for the mods to be stricter with these types of behavior, but even that has a limit, as they can hardly be everywhere at all times.

13. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    People just like to rant~
    'cause their opinion are so important~ (laughs)

runsing likes this.
  14. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    It goes both ways. People are just as dismissive about criticism (if you don't like it don't read it) as people are dismissive about positive talk (but JP MC, rape, etc.) There will always be a vocal group of people who just want to stir the pot instead of having a discussion about the novel and nothing will ever change that. You can tell people to grow up all you want but there will always be an influx of new people who think their argument is somehow original even if they're a year late to the party.

Instead of trying to influence how new people (or people who are looking to start something) post it would be easier to hope that the community as a whole can just deal with them better. Don't feed the trolls, and don't feed the ridiculous weekly atg/mga/pmg is shit echo chambers.

15. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    If I don't like it I don't read and talking trash some people just ............................................................

16. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a little comment: your thread title makes it sound that you want to complain about the rant threads themselves.

17. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    According to google, rant means to speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

This means that when people rant, they do so, filled with emotions.

And when people speak passionately, others tend to reply as so as well. Thus it becomes a place where people starts getting butt hurt because their emotions are hurt.

This is unavoidable imo. My advice is to just ignore all the ones that are trolling and clearly there to mess with you

Lonelycity, Reasonable Guy and Jaded like this.
  18. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    The title is about rant threads. Even if I'm complaining about the users who post on them and not the creators. Plus the title is more aesthetically pleasing this way than say, as "A rant about the ongoings of Rant Threads"
    I'm just trying to have users acknowledge that passive aggressively saying, "If you don't like it, then don't read it" is just as bad for the community as the haters who give no legitimate reasoning behind their thoughts.
    Sounds about right to me
    I'm an optimistic cynic. By that I mean that I will hope that people can try to be better, but I don't expect it.
    Lack of discussion due to disagreement is becoming ever more prevalent in my opinion and I find it somewhat disturbing. I'm not expecting everyone to get along, but giving fellow users a chance to discuss their thoughts before writing them off as trolls or haters should be the forum's MO, and not the other way around

AliceShiki and mir like this.
  19. osman993

osman993 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't find any grammar mistakes. (y)

20. Cfourify

Cfourify Undercover FBI agent

Reading List:
    Link
    TRIGGERED, TRIGGERED people everywhere

Thread Status: