Discussion A reason for an Inch of Radiance

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Okuri Ookami, Apr 27, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I need some reviews for an Inch of Radiance it has one rating that is 1/5 with no real relations to the story other than an opinionated statement related to what could be considered the foundation of the novel based on the summary. There is no indication the person actually read the story and his/her review could be said to derive from the summary of the story alone.

The person's statement summed up would be: " There is no way that I would read a story about flyin daggers in the modern era, I would never choose a flying dagger over a gun:sick:". Does this seem helpful to anyone? I sure can't find a reason it would be helpful unless your totally against new experiences :confused:...

I need helpful reviews and the star rating is all mixed up. I've never liked pika translated works but I've never held bias against TLs, just there translating styles (unless your talking bout those that bully others away from their translations) I don't really remember the reason I don't like certain TLs or the TL's styles to begin with as I have a horrible memory.

Back on topic:p I need reviews :coffee: sensible reviews! :notworthy: PLEASE!

I'm a huge IET fan (first CN author's work I read being CD) I've only not read 2 of his/her works this being one of them.

Ran ahzu and Risus like this.
  2. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Peolpe are rather shitty and stupid sometimes. No way around that fact.

Also Edit: you should write reviews of everything you read, so that you can come back to them and see why not continue. With or without an actual rating.

Making a review of "I did not like this because the Mc was a pansy in the first chapter" without a 1-5 rating is okay.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  3. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    just wrote a review if you want to read that
    edit: im posting it here for all you lazy people
    giving this novel a solid 4 out of 5.
    its a damn good xianxia with a i want to say interesting MC but more the world is what has me enthralled more than anything else. for me this novel is IET’s most underrated novel being translated think modern world but the cultivation of a xianxia still exists. so that means past a certain level which the MC passed a while ago guns mean nothing.
    the MC has tragedy occur to him i won’t spoil which makes him go screw this and now he’s getting help from a devil immortal who was a general back in china a few centuries ago.
    all in all a good novel that should be instanstly loved by any IET fans.

Risus likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    So it starts of as a wuxia and then becomes a xinxia?

5. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews should be done after 50 to 100 chapters in my opinion depending on how much you could stand it. I hate it when they read 20 chapters and think they know the path of an entire story. I read 108 chapters of World cult and recently picked it back up and now I've a few chapters behind; no more than 10. A review of every series is a lil much for me. I review notable works that get much love or vise versa and leave a star rating for ok works.

I'm hella lazy so this is helpful in more than one way! I generally avoided this novel like the other one that has lord something in its name (though I did read a few chapters of the latter). I thought if I waited a few months then reviews would least be equal to the amount of fingers on one hand and the stars would be more or less pointing in one direction. Lil did I know months later its still not where it should be.

I have a few questions, how is the translation grammar wise? Does the TL use: Moreover, therefore, hense, additionally, anyway, etc like their vocabulary only runs so deep? Does the MC get a pet? This is a very important question! Almost all IET novels have pets and this is a deciding factor for a great novel.

I'm guessing he/she is saying that it has Xianxia cultivation mixed with modern era learning and development. Think Us but with the ability to cultivate Qi and maybe beast that are hundreds of times stronger than normal. Maybe some special techniques and medicines.

6. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read positive reviews even if it was overselling it. Cause mostly what they're overselling is the good in the story. And if i see a trusted reviewer, makes thing easier.
    Bad reviews usually just hate. And stupid. Or like the 'bad reviews' joked in talk shows or movies, but no funny more stupid.

7. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    its done by pika so you know the quality is good and sadly i can't remember if they do but i had no trouble reading it.

its straight up IET xianxia you've got houtian xiantian and golden dan as the three levels i can remember of the top of my head. and yeah you've got families and clans of cultivators as well as vampires and werwolves in the world so its fairly hectic as for medicines and techniques they exist and hes training in a top teir one in the devil realm so yeah. for medicine he has dried up meridians in the beginning because he started training too late so he properly run qi through it though this gets solved really quickly. as for pets nothing yet unless you count a soul of a devil immortal super weakened who has become bros with him

8. Fengmi

Fengmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read book 1 of the novel, and hate every single of it...
    It start somewhat promising but considering the author's tendency to write about romance tragedy, i was served with one.
    For the love of god, i have no idea how many times IET used the romance as an end goal of the story.
    My first thought of the flying knife, "wow, this must be some sort of assassin novel, killing people in the shadow, running around without being detected, concealed weapon and everything" but what i got is "Hey guys its me standing few meters from you guys, now take this flying knife and you guy just to stand there and hold on while i keep throwing knives at you guys". I seriously cant imagine the battle in a cool way or at least making it somewhat not stupid.

I am not being haters or anything and fyi i start reading this novel with a really positive mind but what i was left is annoyance and unsatisfactory.
    (Yes, its a little bit biased considering that i've read a lot of IET's work and spoilers, but finding the same troupes used over and over again really irks me)

9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I must have confused Pika with another TL as I only read a few short paragraphs and I can't find anything wrong with the quality at all. Werewolves you say? You just mentioned a real deal changer! Doesn't matter if there isn't any pets yet as long as it has cultivation beast there's a 75 to 80% chance he/she'll put a beast companion in. I say the'll be at least 2 beast.

IET always uses love as an end goal and almost all of his/her characters resemble each other in some way. He/she loves pets, romantic tragedy (for the first love), flying weapons, underpowered but strong potentialed MC's that aren't exactly labeled trash but aren't always recognized as geniuses right off the bat. IET uses the same troupes in most of his/her novels but I like the different spins, so hey stand there and take this? that can be found in most novels not really something for me to be bothered by.

I can't say how many Xianxia I've read that the weapon moved to fast for the opponent to do anything about (moving their body out of harms way) but they can send dozens of magic treasures, send out continuous attacks, and scream that "If you kill me I your father's father will kill 9 generations of your family" or something equivalent.

With their profound movement speeds how could their mouths and hands move faster than their legs? Especially if they were in the air where a sword attack (qi slash) could only attack vertically or horizontally maybe diagonally, just being able to move to a few inches in the opposite direction could throw them off yet they all miraculously get sliced perfectly in two...

10. Fengmi

Fengmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Okuri Ookami
    I love imagine the battle scenes in novel, but when im trying to imagine the inch of radiance's battle scene it turned out really stupid.
    I am not bothered with the same troupes used in other novels, but this guys, he writes lots of novel and finding the same troupes in almost all of his novel is really annoying.
    Now whenever i read his work, and the first women that was introduced extensively, i will think "oh boy, here it is again" and IET actually doesn't disappoint me (not in a good way) in that my prediction is correct. And this actually happens in his latest work Lord Xueying too.

11. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lil of Lord Xue Ying not much so idk. I also didn't read 9C but I know the gist of what happened to the first love. I really only have one thing to say. And that's, to each his own. The same concept spun 10 different ways is better than a new concept failing 100 ways in some cases. In this case there is a reason IET is a popular author.

12. Shance

Reading List:
    Link
    Apart from being reliable author that finishes 500+ relatively good chapter novels?

13. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be confused about what your asking but I'll answer based of what I interpreted.

If an author finishes a 500+ novel that is a new concept but ideas are to far away from the audiences wants or only is appealing to the author then no matter the number of chapters if there isn't someone to read it or pros to out way the cons of writing it then there isn't a point in continuing unless you have that amount of free time.

IET is a reliable author who's stories to my knowledge all pass 500 if not double. His/her stories have a general story flow but the surrounding story content are usually vastly different. The concept of the story is proven to gain new and sustain old readers it might not be visited often by the old but they'll come time to time because they like the idea.

The rate of success with new stories and idea is not high especially when coming from amateur authors who usually write for fun or themselves.

IET is a dedicated pro from what I see, not only does he/she give the readers what they want he/she goes out of their way to make it entertaining and even subtly tries to take new paths. I see IETs works as a growing experiment with each novel. Rarely do you find a situation other than the base idea or key points the same as in a different novel by him or her.

14. Shance

Reading List:
    Link
    No, sorry there, read wrong answered wrong, I actually really like IET, but well, you make me want read his stories again.:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

15. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    eh? really? then even if I misinterpreted I still did a good job:cool:

Shance likes this.
  16. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'll give you a honest review... Inch of Radiance is IET's second work after Legend of Xingfeng, so it might strike as slightly worse than his other works. It's worldbuilding, which IET usually shines in, is worse than his other works: It starts off as a modern world with cultivation, though it is soon revealed to be an ancient cultivation world in the background. The MC is a knife throwing expert. If you are an American, you might like it, MC goes to Houston to fight in underground tournaments.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I am American and I happen to be Southern but I've never been to or cared bout Texas. I mean the thought about reading one of my favorite authors in CN web novels possibly portraying the South, America or Texas wrongly is highly unappealing! I mean look at JP manga, anime, or novels. How many of those series portray any country like its suppose to be? I can only name a few out of hundreds. That's why I stick to very very scifi and futuristic i.e SS another novel by IET or a new favorite of mine Galactic Dark Net when it comes to talking about other countries it doesn't matter as everything in the future is going to be totally different and no one generally expounds upon the topics.

18. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its so-so 2/5
    not unique at all, bored with his writing style and story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.