News A reply from Centinni

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Arzvak, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    You get taxed on profit not revenue. Declare the translator’s pay as business cost and you won’t be taxed on it.

Source: I paid taxes last year bruh

2. streakingzero

streakingzero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone feels the brunt? so you say the editor only got 15% and the poster only got 4% of the gross income?

Yea 20% is believable but not 60% tax

Blu De Blob and DjB1 like this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can kinda get where this is coming from. If you want to get taxed on profit and not revenue, you get to deduct the payroll and save a bunch on taxes...but you're also declaring that your business has employees.

If your business has employees, then you must fill out the paperwork and pay for the employee taxes that are mandated by law. Social Security Tax. Payroll Tax. Unemployment Insurance. Other countries also have those social health insurance programs...

It's a real hassle for a small shop. Especially one made up of temporary workers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    myhlmes and eray.gns like this.
  4. yunre

yunre Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, no you don't have to do all of that. You just list them as independent contractors and then it becomes a simple business expense.

5. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm legit baffled by all this. From kitket's post where she mentioned college admissions, I assume she's a high schooler and hence a teenager, which is, well, young, but not super strange for fan translators. But I had thought that at least the site owners were Adults™ (or at least in their mid-twenties), but from this post, it really, really doesn't seem like they are. So my question is: why are a bunch of kids who clearly know nothing about how to do something as vital as filing taxes trying to run a business??

6. kittykittykittycub

kittykittykittycub Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Centipede-I mean Centinni-, get your act together! You're supposed to be a translation group, not a flaming barrel of tea! You're not even FRESH tea! Give me back my time spent on you!

It was hard work typing out these letters
    As a poster, I think I deserve to be paid. Here I am, helping you gain more attention by commenting in this thread. It's hard work typing out these letters one by one.

That will be 35%-no,i mean 70%-no Frick, I mean 90%. Actually, just give me all the money.
    Instead of WE DO NOVELS. it should be WE DO MTLS or WE DO BULLSHIT.

"We do novels" how can u engaged in sexual intercourse with novels bro, excuse my dirty mind.
    We do scams, We do garbage,
    We do nothing but quality work you should read bc we r unprofessional and mentally 5 yr old spoiled brats.

Wait actually, I think you guys can do yourselves a better job than how you do other things, cuz from what I can see, this little situation here has gotten rather big~

Stop poaching projects, you money-grubber! Work on your translation quality first before you spread yourself out on others' projects! People pay you to read good quality content, not for gibberish! If they wanted MTL, they could go mtl it themselves! For FREE

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that view imo quite miss conception, there nothing wrong for bunch of teen trying to run business despite may lack ability to fill tax form, even people who already an adult can do the same, the key lay on when the business launch, running and legally taxable it should pay the tax~ the inability to fill tax form is different topic altogether~

jackolantern and DjB1 like this.
  8. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think our countries are different tsk tsk, and it's not a buisness again, how hard is it to wrap that around your head.

9. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding IT and the server costs, I'd like to first say that I've hosted multiple translation sites myself, some even for free out of my own pocket. Looking at your website, I notice that you guys are using WordPress. You can easily get WordPress hosting for as low as $29 for 2 years on Namecheap. IT on a shared web hosting is also very hands off requiring little to do.

Taxes and money transfer fees are also negligible. I'm going to assume you guys use PayPal? At most, the fees you'll pay for transferring is definitely not even close to the 30% portion Centinni takes. As for the poster...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen other translation sites taking fees for clicking "Post"

Overall, you guys are ripping people using the excuse of "operating expenses".

I also don't agree with the reason the website was started.

"I started it to make a big website"

This is a huge red flag for me. It says to me that you don't care about your staff or the community, and you only care about growing the site.

10. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, how many viewers do you think we get to survive on shared hosting? btw, how hard is it to go on and google and search how much tax is there for indians, hmmmmmmmmmmmm pretty hard right? and we are not taking poster money or anything, the translator is more than welcome to post and edit everything themselves and get total 70% of their rev, now lemme think, oh yeah! that is the amount other websites give, damn.

11. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you reached the point where you have millions of viewers per month on Centinni?

If so, you can justify buying your own VPS, which is $5-$10/month. Otherwise buying a server would be a waste of money.

Shared web hosting is perfectly fit for most translation sites. I can confidently say that one of the sites I work with has 1M monthly viewers and is thriving on the cheapest shared web hosting.

12. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please share the hosting name, thanks a lot in advance.

13. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Namecheap

Kiki0246, Solus and Chronos5884 like this.
  14. enkiros

enkiros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a business based on a potentially illegal object you should add lmao. This whole deal with fan translations is on a gray area when it comes to copyright law at least in the US. In the end, it can never be a legitimate business because they can't just take the novels (which they are actually claiming ownership of, somehow) translate them and sell them without paying royalties to the original publisher/author, that is because they are merely transforming the original work to make money out of the property itself, no way in hell it means they have legal ownership of the original work, or the translations even because it's illegal to make a profit out of them in the first place.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Beautiful Ignorance.
    The one thing people love more than a hero is watching the hero fall.

Many on here do not have the well being of any one in their minds.

They just want to watch things burn.
    You are all giving them ammunition just shut up please..

And you lot seem naive enough to turn yourself in to a lynch mob so they slaughter you.

I will remember you all

A moment of silence for a website passing.

Myriadfold likes this.
  16. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To everyone who thinks it's hard for them to declare proper income tax due to needing to fill up a bunch of paperwork to disclose paying others, Centinni (by their own admission) is/are from India. They are a freelancer who outsources other freelancers and the procedure for getting that paperwork done is as simple as can be. They have 0 excuse to claim tax from the whole revenue. They also have been waffling between whether they counted tax into their entire payment scheme or just from their own cut of the pay (see difference between another statement of theirs in the forum and their website's statement).

17. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you're confident about your recommendation, can you tell us what the average server uptime and the average time to first byte of the site you work with? Because in my in experience, my recommendation for bad performing sites usually upgrade their plan out of shared hosting or just migrate to a static site altogether.

18. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, this is a tough question because so many variables come into play. Wuxiaworld started on a fairly expensive $40/month Bluehost VPS, even when it was just myself and Coiling Dragon, because I was determined to let people have the best experience possible, and it still crashed aaaaall the fucking time. There's just so many factors and variables, from caching solutions to data bottlenecks caused by large amounts of chapters, that it's really hard to say.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Myriadfold likes this.
  19. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right, we are using a 50$ hosting currently as well, works perfectly, love it. Moving to AWS lambda and others for the new website, I hope we don't get ddos'ed on the new website like yesterday, why ddos the website not like it will serve any purpose, makes it seem more like people just wanting to see it burn lol, bandwidth charges would be massive though, .

20. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with shared hosting that other websites' usage also become a important variable. Sites with that plan can easily get sluggish or has high down time rate even when they were on low traffic. On contrary, WW actually has a pretty good record compared to others.
    Interesting. It's rare for a WP site to use Lambda. May I ask on which part of your site you're using serverless on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.