News A Special Announcement by Qidian International!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Qidian, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It wouldn't have been so unusual if IET pulled from Arthurian Lore. King Arthur grew beyond his tiny kingdom of Camelot to become a global trope. CD is set in a land with feudal kingdoms, and people fight with swords and such. The main character is essentially a Dragon Knight, and there's wizards throwing magic around. The second he decided to use western names, his brain had to have been shouting "KING ARTHUR! MERLIN! CAMELOT! ARTHUR PENDRAGON!" on repeat.

I'm willing to bet a few hundred dollars that there are less than five Chinese people in the entire world that go from thinking about Arthurian convention to googling "Anglo-Saxon names".

2. Raven_King

Raven_King Keeping an Eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    lol probably why he did that, to avoid the typical tropes and names. I mean, we get kinda ticked when we see MC's with teh same name over and over again, so tons of props for originality and depth

3. kalp456

kalp456 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Translation Nations' translation better. I just fear that TN will stop translating because NS already was approved by Qidian as the more legal one.

4. Raven_King

Reading List:
    Link
    Hold up -- QI is currently become a major player in the translated novel community, it hasn't become a governing body, overall. While a ton of their works are being translated, they've struck deals where possible, and generally allowed the community to continue.

This NS vs TN gripe seems like something that should be hashed out between the existing community, otherwise it would definitely allow QI to step into a more governing position, making something community and fan generated into an entirely different ball game, with new barriers to entry and everything.

5. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i can already see the novels will be locked behind a paywall, i guess i better start looking for new hobbies,
    cos most of the novels i read are from qidian, and i feel like the pricing will be more expensive than the one on qidian chinese site (cos of the whole international thing), i don't think i will be able to afford

and with translated korean novels is also starting to get DMCA / something similar, i guess, the future is bleak......
    if you don't know some translated korean novels are getting a take down notice.......

6. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I find how NS handled TTNH to be really shady. Not only have they never read the novel but they're planning on releasing with completely different terminology and their pace of release is slower (hearsay from TN).

How they just suddenly translated TTNH without any approval from the original translator (directly from the announcement which gave translators permission) was already a bit shady to me. Now they're switching to Qidian to most likely shut out TN and do this for profit.

Overall I doubt it'll be able to be hashed out between the existing community since NS is showing signs they won't play fair.

7. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    If Qidian truly did that then they'll fail pretty quickly.

8. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i can already see the irony, that they will blame piracy.........

9. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    Another irony is that Xianxiaworld, arguably a piracy website, failed because they tried to get into this scene with profit in mind.

zzz and sz like this.
  10. kalp456

kalp456 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. I was pretty sure TTNH was published through Qidian so the rights over anything about TTNH should have the consent of Qidian and should Qidian (not just Qidian International) say that NS should only be the one to translate the series, then TN should stop translating them, at least that was how I viewed it. If ever what you said is the truth, then I guess I won't care.

Raven_King likes this.
  11. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm not familiar with xianxiaworld or what happens in it, but thinking logically obviously they will fail, with a lot of other site that provide quality novels and quality translation, of course they will fail miserably....

and i think there is still some site that forces us to pay to get latest chapters, and the newest chapters will be behind paywall for months....

i forgot the name of the website and the name of the novel, but because of that, i decide to drop the novel, rather than having to wait months to be able to read latest chapter...... (i think i found it on december or november)

12. Raven_King

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why i said they've struck deals...but you are right, in this case -- i know QI have asked people from NS to host their works on QI's ste now -- i know Martial God Space and Overlord Evil Monarch are moving over (might also be one more iirc)

but yeah, this TNvsNS TTNH TL beef needs to be sorted out more by the community, i think, rather than allowing QI to blindly dictate any and all terms would set a precedent of oppression rather than collaboration -- at least that's my take on it.

13. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except where they said they wanted to work with a site and went behind them to translate the same novels they were talking about. Or ninja'ed the novels. *sigh* Qidian comes across as real friendly but their actions have been proving otherwise. I foresee a future in which translators mass drop their Qidian novels in favor of ones for other raw sites because they're tired of corporate-ism and this crap. As a reader... that would really suck.

Raven_King likes this.
  14. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is expensive to you, you're either unemployed or yet to graduate. Which both means that you have no job. In that case, you should better focus on your study or try to get a job before considering "reading" as your hobby. Because reading novels generally requires money. You need to buy the novels. But in this case, translation is provided free to you, which has in some way spoilt many people and they refuse to accept this change.

15. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    and you by saying that, is obviously not from a 3rd tier country, or someone that is born on a good income family....

stop acting as if you know me, just because i can't afford it, it meant i'm unemployed ?

the only reason i like reading novels, is because its free, and its quite a good entertainment.....

edit :
    even if it cost 3$ or around that, do you know how much a meal cost for me ?
    a meal cost about 0.5$ for me, so STFU

miles118 likes this.
  16. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to eat, but so do the people that translate the free novels for you. In the first place, it costs money to own and read novels unless you go to public libraries. In that case, you can just do that. Otherwise, you could find other hobbies that doesn't cost money or just watch videos on Youtube or any free video platforms. It's like you're saying that because video games are expensive and you can't afford them, you should be allowed to play them for free.

17. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    and did i say that i just want a freebie ?

i said that i'm prepared to drop reading novel as a hobby, if it wont be free anymore,

so nope i never said that people that translated novels, shouldn't get paid, heck if my money situation is better, i am gladly will donate for novels that i like,

i really think you misunderstood the point of my post....

18. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I am from one of the Asia countries, and I was born to an average family.

I don't need to act as if I know you. You see, all of these novels is the source of the authors' income, give them what they deserve.

Just pay 10$ and you can survive for a few weeks.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  19. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

There's no need to do that. Just go to your local library and borrow books. Besides, there are ebooks that are available for free legally.

zzz likes this.
  20. zzz

zzz .

Reading List:
    Link
    no worry, i was just at a bad mood, and the previous post by the other guy, somehow triggered me.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.