Recommendations A Story of a Heavenly Demon, Demonic Sect, Suffering, Miserable Wretch, or/and Guardian

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darkn3ss321, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Darkn3ss321

Darkn3ss321 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In SSS-Class Suicide Hunter is an arc (minor spoilers), the heavenly demon disciple arc, that has a Heavenly Demon (Korean: Cheonma) character as well as the Heavenly Demon Sect/Cult. The theme of this arc is heavily focused on the suffering of the heavenly demon, who is a sort of self-sacrificial hero whose meaning or way of life/sword is to carry all the pain and sufferings in the world. For instance, the sword art of the Heavenly Demon is the Sword of Suffering, the user must understand a form of suffering for each sword movement (Hunger, Thirst, Burning, Suicide, etc). They, the demon sect, call themselves demons, because they live and thrive in the suffering of others (such as their swords and powers require experiencing suffering and the likes).

I'm looking for a book, a story, or maybe just an arc like in SSS Suicide Hunter, with the same kind of theme. I'm quite numb to the usual powerful and cool or just demonic, evil, and edgy Heavenly Demon stories. (My profile name is the limits of my spontaneous creativity btw, not because of edge).

In addition, it doesn't necessarily have to involve a so-called evil/demonic cult characters. As long as, it has the theme of "Guardians, miserable wretches who constantly fight against threats and madness [1]," it's what I'm looking for. Quote from Lord of the Mysteries, Lord of the Mysteries is what reminded me of this theme and got me starting craving.
    Preferably, however, I'm looking for an unorthodox organization or a group of people who walk on this path (the path of the organization, or following their leader's lead). Lord of the Mysteries has the Nighthawks and other secret organizations that serve churches and function like what I'm describing, but they are suffering from themselves and enemies in order to protect others. They don't carry the sufferings of others on their backs like the Heavenly Demon from the SSS-Class Suicide Hunter, which is what I'm looking for.

Phew, this is a really long description of what I want. Thank you for reading through and all the gratitude I can give for recommendations!
    TLDR; "A guardian, a hero, a miserable wretch who fight against threats, madness, and suffering of the people/world."

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Paps and Darkn3ss321 like this.
  3. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not 100% certain I understand what you're after, but you'll probably find it in the grimdark genre.

That aside, perhaps Interdemensional Garbage Merchant? Part of the reason I stopped reading it was how much the author treated her like a punching bag for the universe.

Another possibility would be After the Mountains are Flattened, but its far from obvious that it fits the bill until you've gotten fairly deep into the background information and world building.

Perhaps Chrysalis? The story kicks off after he sacrifices his life and he devotes his new life to others with a strong theme of self-sacrifice. None of it is particularly in your face though, particularly in the early chapters.

There is No Epic Loot Here, Only Puns, has an undertone of this sort of thing that comes to the forefront from time to time.

As for published works, I can't really think of any that were worth reading. They definitely exist, but the ones I can remember reading were basically trash. The closest I can think of is Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, which is fantastic book, but only kinda sorta qualifies at best.

Darkn3ss321 likes this.
  4. Noble Ran

Noble Ran Evil Ordeal

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I see it, it seems you're looking for a character or an organization who're pursuing their beliefs regardless of others' views and the difficulty of their cause.
    If that's the case, then The First Order is a good choice.

Wujigege and Darkn3ss321 like this.
  5. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.