Discussion A very interesting article from an "insider" talking about WW and QI issues

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RenarDuSud, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that a Qidian smurf?

I don't think you sign any contracts to join WW, right?
    Unlike with Qidian, TLers can just up and leave WW if they want to...

And WW's profitability has no relation to Qidian's business practices that are being criticized.
    If we wanna talk about WW's business practices, it should be on a different thread than one talking about Qidian.
    Also, being profitable does not immediately equal being unethical. RWX has a good reputation around these parts, and for good reason.

And there's a difference between Patreon and Donations vs. Paywall.
    Most obviously that they're voluntary. People pay because they love the series they read enough that they are willing to pay more than what they would have to to get actual books.

And it's hard to take this seriously when there's clear lack of effort in providing info.
    Millions of dollars in ad revenue. Per day? Per month? Per year?
    What are their expenses? Have you reduced the cost of labor as well?
    Is there anyone who seriously believes Child of Light brings in the same revenue as Desolate Era?

Also not to be forgotten is that Patreons aren't for the site, but for the TLers for the most part.
    I don't think WW has its own VIP system.

P.S.
    "They have recently headhunted some top translators from GravityTales, the second largest site."

RWX said this was a false claim by Qidian... Of course, he could be lying, but in fact, there was no fiasco when it happened and some of the TLers explicitly said it was a peaceful transition when there were people who tried inciting drama.

What has been said is that the TLers approached WW, not the other way around. The actual reasons behind it are unknown. GGP said they don't know the reason why, WW said they were approached, the TLers said it was for personal reasons.

So which "insider" would this even feasibly be saying that WW tried to poach the TLers?

http://forum.novelupdates.com/threa...iscussion-of-gt-and-novels-moving-here.31173/

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Risus and hondatadakatsu like this.
  2. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't care anymore. WW won't collapse and people who bitch still read Qidian.

eseul and hondatadakatsu like this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Even fake news have reach NUF.

Slayerwolfx2, SoulZer0, kenar and 2 others like this.
  4. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes me think people in China trust the big corps more. This level of information warfare is small time in the states. If you're going to try and manipulate the public, at least put some effort in and make your stories partially believable, "this fight that could be a huge roadblock for them but of minor consequence to us, with 'victory' results massively favor us, has quite obviously been caused by them"

Sounds believable to me guys.

5. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    you are all missing one important point........

most leechers will not care so far they don't place a paywall to prevent ppl from reading

i personally will side with WW, for i preffer devil know that devil to know.........

its like the fiasco that was Xant & Minions vs Lazy9

or so many dramas over translation groups and translation website groups

6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daaaamn, @rwxwuxiaworld. You rollin' in all them millions? Share the love, man.

Arcares, noob_senpai, kenar and 4 others like this.
  7. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor mr.big head ball:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    They are earning a lot of profit. That's for true. And the most terrible part is that most of the translators earned thousands of dollars from author's work but the author got nothing. (Thankfully some translators on WW never did translations for money. And few of them shared the profit with authors [CKtalon, Etvo,etc]).

Of course the authors should be thankful that their work is spreading overseas even if translators are earning money from their hard work.

Of course it's changing when WW made the deal with Qidian and author got a small one time payment. But before the deal WW made good money on author's work. Actually they are still making money on series which aren't licensed.

eseul, SummerX and Pyre like this.
  9. bartsimpsons

bartsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RWX once spent 5 digits ($) on fixing a security breach. However I dont think they make millions wtf guys.

10. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link

1. How much GravityTales, the second largest site earn?
    2. GGP cried to who? I'm guessing this was not in front of Ren. Did he talk face to face to Ren and hear his side?
    3. Millions revenue?
    Well done Ren. No wonder QI get mad. They spending millions from investment but got no revenue. They should learn from ww and simply follow this proven business model.

11. landon9560

landon9560 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, sure.

I'm an insider too!
    I'm inside my house, and when I opened this thread I smelled bullshit.

mir, kenar, Tnyhy and 3 others like this.
  12. Potatos

Potatos [Mostly Inactive] [Frozen Ink's Slave #2]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not hating on OP, just the "insider"

Doubt he'll ever see this, but don't many of WXW's translators have the author's permission? And in the first place, I doubt that Qidian will give much, if any, money they earn(will they even earn anything?) from the translations to the authors. Also, it's really funny when the "insider" says that WXW recruits translators by throwing money at them when they voluntarily asked WXW to join. Not to mention Qidian's other post...........who's really recruiting translators now, I wonder.

Exact quote from their post:
    "We are now officially inviting all translators who did a wonderful job on those 11 titles to join us. We are still hoping those titles could be covered by the same translator with sole flavors until its very last chapter. We will provide better conditions in terms of monetized returns, formal authorizations, and more promotion resources"
    ha!

Lastly, STOP DRAGGING POOR GGP INTO THIS MESS. That poor guy.

13. bartsimpsons

bartsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RWX once spent 5 digits ($) on fixing a security breach. However I dont think they make millions wtf guys.

14. DeadZky

DeadZky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well duh, of course they're making lots of money and that's precisely why QI starts eyeing WW

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uh...I don't want to seemed biased...but the BS is too much.

kenar, agilan, xalienxgamerx and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.