Discussion A way to support Qidian authors without going through qidian.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SAimNE, Jul 28, 2017.

1. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is a genuine question, not a request for a flame war. I am just looking for any qidian authors that it's possible to send money electronically without qidian getting a piece of the profit.

I'm to the point that the only way I would want to read would be through aggregators(well OTHER aggregators), but I don't wish to do so for authors I will never have a way to send support to

So if any authors have self published novels or some form of donation that qidian doesn't grab a percentage of, I'd appreciate if people could tell me them.

EDIT: so far the mentioned options are
    Snail mail: I may use this option, but it would take awhile to set aside enough to be cost effective given shipping rates. More possible if there was a trusted community member to organize funds people want to be donat d.

Encouraging them to start a YouTube unrelated to novels/qidian: interesting concept I think would be cool. Would be nice to try and get them ad revenue through this option just by loading a Chinese vlog or something in the background.

I've been made aware YouTube is getting scrapped in china, so NVR mind that one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Pyoo, Myriadfold and wolf.prince like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Fly over there and rub their feet.

3. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting question you have there, I don't know the answer. But I doubt you could support author without profiting qidian.

4. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    Should we assume that patreon's unavailable in China? It would otherwise be a viable option, I guess.

5. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are already Qi slaves, maybe you could find their paypal or something idk.

nicostrato likes this.
  6. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only PayPal I've seen is a donation thing on qidian Chinese.... I'm less than optimistic that it all goes to the author xD

elengee likes this.
  7. DevianT

DevianT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's a bit too late when the novel community in China is how do I explain....What I heard from people is most author/writer they don't earn much from profit...The publisher/company have it all and they live just barely and it's a different story when famous actor or people when they publish book they earn most of it instead of the company...

8. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would probably be illegal based on their contracts they signed. The only money the get is what they pay them per-chapter.

tamsok, alamptr and Wand148 like this.
  9. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they would still have to give qidian their cut, otherwise they will have to give them their first born son

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy the physical copies of their books.

11. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't specify what it's for a donation is hard to be illegal.

TheRudeOne and PotatoZero like this.
  12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately they get even less of the profit margin on those than they do online chapters from what I've read about qidian. It's why I want to find a self published book by one of them. I can buy one of those, tho it is less than optimal considering shipping cost

13. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    I think TJSS has his own site. You could visit it?

14. nicostrato

nicostrato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you support the translator, then they translate more, thus qidian gets more chapters, thus qidian pays translator, thus they put out more chapters, so on and so forth. Qidian always gets profit. It is unstoppable. They are the devil.

15. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Author not translators. To be frank I feel like the TLS seem to have gotten their fair share of profit when they auctioned off their souls, not advocating never donating to them, but I don't consider it high priority like the authors who qidian pays scraps.

nicostrato likes this.
  16. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh well maybe we can try to find a more direct way to send them money.

17. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    Supporting the translator doesn't necessarily mean that the author gets direct support, since many of the novels being translated are already complete. While the translator brings attention to the novel they translate and the author's future works, it's highly likely that any form of financial support for a completed novel will just be rerouted to the publishing platform. (Aka Qidian)
    At least, that's my two cents.

18. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    unfortunately, from my perspective, all I can 'see' (pffft I have a visor covering my eyes xD) in china regarding the novel industry is countless people in strangle holds by those of higher 'status' and 'power'.

besides the 3 main sites there is practically no other way for web novelists to promote themselves to earn a living and the contracts for those at the QI chinese platform practically sign away their rights to self host their work should they be deemed a potential profit to the company.

I am all for supporting authors directly, but it's been known for a long time now that how things operate inside of china don't really align all that well with the western world's philosophy on things.

19. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the hope of this thread, although if I do have to buy books they published elsewhere it could at least be useful to practice reading Chinese if I ever start learning

20. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China is a xenophobic country that hates foreing companies that compete with their natives. This is especially true for their online companies. If you want to support chinese authors financially for their works, you can send them money the old fashion way (by mail). If you don't trust that the cash will get their in one piece, you can try to use chinese version of paypal, patreon, ect... It's actually more of hassle than you think it is and not worth the effort.