LCD A Will Eternal

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by strixflash, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm picky, matter of taste. What's your thought about "celestial necromancer" then?

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    My first thought upon hearing Hei Dawu talk about the Terrestrial, Celestial, Earthly, and Heavenly ranks was it's a reference to Man, Stars, Earth, and Heaven. None of your ideas preserve that relation.

-M4- likes this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    The Terrestrial/Celestial and Earthly/Heavenly duality could be replace by something else, then there will be no need to keep terrestrial. We're talking about a ranking strata for necromancers. Celestial and heavenly are the furthest I could think of when it comes to necromancers.

4. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chinese culture (gleaned from other stories), the Earth and Heaven are always at the top. And this is translation, not localization. The reference matters.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  5. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    They are use as duality terms, like yin and yang and can be replace for something more fitting for necromancers rankings. It's like creating a ranking for the underworld and using holly and divine for it. It's an aberration.

6. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they are not duality terms. They are cultural. It's not that simple.

7. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't seem to understand the duality in chinese culture. Heaven and earth, there's no heaven without earth and no earth without heaven. Chinese coins reference this duality, a round coin (heaven) which encompass a square (earth). Yin and yang (taijitu symbol), young and old, man and the divine, etc.

8. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on context. You're twisting this particular context to something replaceable, when it's not.

9. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    If there was only one example, then it would be hard to tell, but there's two: Terrestrial/Celestial (man/divine) and Earthly/Heavenly (Earth/Heaven), those are common duality in chinese novels. Like Good vs Evil, which in wuxia are often represented by putting the orthodox sects against the evil sects (heterodox).

10. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    You're picking and choosing. They're not split. They're one group. Man, Earth, Heaven

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  11. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not split but are inspired from chinese duality and used to differentiate the ranking strata. Terrestrial < Celestial < Earthly < Heavenly. Among these four, the only term fitting the necromancer class is "Earthly".

Rhetali likes this.
  12. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Enough. You're picking and choosing to fit your proposed renaming. You made your point, I made mine. Let's agree to disagree.

13. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you know you can walk out of a discussion at any given time if you feel you have nothing else to add. No one is forcing you. And yes, let's agree to disagree, I already state it long before, it's a matter of taste.

14. Rhetali

Rhetali New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Terrestrial, Celestial, and Heavenly don't fit with the term 'necromancer'. This is because it usually refers to someone who raises the dead to create zombies and whatnot. However, this is a translation and thus it is not the same 'necromancer' we know. As such, the Terrestrial, Celestial, and Heavenly terms fit the meaning of the original Chinese version. As such, I think that if anything should be changed, it should be the term 'necromancer'. So, anybody got any ideas for a English equivalent of a being that deals with souls and enslavement? I nominate Enchanter. Enchanters are normally associated with charm/mind spells and it would fit nicely with the fact that the 'necromancers' are vital to spirit enchantments. Plus, Celestial Enchanter, Terrestrial Enchanter, Earthly Enchanter, and Heavenly Enchanter has a ring to it.

MadHatter and Nyarlathotep like this.
  15. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    The necromancers are controlling millions of dead spirits, so it feels on point to me. Skeletons are more traditional, but ghouls still fit

16. Rhetali

Rhetali New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I actually prefer necromancers. I got chills when they first appeared during battle. The only more terrifying being to face in battle would be a lich, which is basically a necromancer king.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    chencking likes this.
  17. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's a similar situation we have with "mo" which are often translated into demons or devils because there's no real equivalent in western culture and the closest are these two. But I believe the use of necromancer kind of belong here because it draw similarities with the western concept. In the novel, the necromancers control souls which comes from the Underworld River.

I look into it and enchanter seems to be a good alternative because of the art of "spirit enhancement" they do in the novel like you said. Also an enchanter is a mob control type of class in fantasy, and in A Will Eternal the necromancers do control a large group of vengeful souls. The necromancers in the novel also provide "soul medicine and soul vitality", where in western fantasy an enchanter provide a wide array of spell (including the Clarity aka 'crack' due to many caster class players becoming 'hooked' on the increased mana regeneration that this spell provides and constantly seek enchanters to cast it on them, often offering generous amounts of in-game currency. Source -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest#Crowd_control_/_utility)

Rhetali likes this.
  18. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Is he at nascent yet?

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, another comment here said he will be, if I remember correctly,
    in about two months

20. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does Bai Xiaochun say he has to go for the heaven Dao nascent soul? I’m withholding chapters until he reaches nascent soul but I’m curious as to why