Discussion A wise word from my teacher

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nyaa.23, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Nyaa.23

Nyaa.23 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So one day, my middle aged language teacher told us that problems never went away, it just got overshadowed by even bigger problems. This one stuck to me for a long time. Do you think it's true?? Your thoughts about this??

2. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, for a problem to get solved, the reason for its existence (aka. root cause) has to disappear.

If someone/something else doesn't solve it when you're not looking at it, it will stay as it is.

3. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. For me large problems are always just a pile of small problems, all you can do is chip away at them. Its all about categorizing.

Sometimes getting rid of one small problem can clear a whole lot of trouble down the road, feels nice when it happens.

Nyaa.23 likes this.
  4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of problems are problems because they lead to some outcome that is undesirable, and a problem can lose relevance/stop being a problem if 1) the outcome has happened, then you get get a new problem, a different one, or 2) the outcome has stopped being undesirable - now the problem is a problem no more.
    If your problem is not about an outcome, but rather something else, something that inconveniences you - then, by analogy, that something can stop being inconvenient for you (i.e you adapt to it or you find a way to make it convenient or whatever), or it's really not a problem, since it not having the property of never changing its state for you implies its permanency - it's a new fact of life for you now.
    A problem that doesn't go away and always stays the same, its relevance outshined by a new "problem" - isn't it just a new fact of life?
    Though I guess I did take it a little too literally and you mean something else. But I really don't get what you mean, so that's what I can say about what said.

Nyaa.23 likes this.
  5. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    People tend to forget giving up is always an option, not because you can but if the problem is such burden then you can consider this option. I mean really burden that make you strain physically and emotionally.

Nyaa.23 likes this.
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'd say I completely disagree with him. I'm sure there are cases where that does happen, but usually problems act like sounds where they heal over time. Sometimes they cause side effects, but mostly problems slowly disappear.

Nyaa.23 likes this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's probably true in many cases, but it's a bit too absolute of a generalization to swear by.

8. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well though in the end it also depends on what you think or view as a problem. Imo doe all problems have the same weight it's importance just varies between certain individuals. Some people will think school problems are heavier than personal or emotional ones it just works that way. Nothing is just set in stone and as we grow some problems would have a bigger weight based on our perspective in life and others lighter.

9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if you solve one, it's gone...
    Though if you leave it be and stuff, yeah bigger problems are on the way~