Question Abandoned novels that are being translated again (by the same translators)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by bibi, Jul 22, 2018.

?

What do you do?

1. I read as soon as I see that it has been released

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. I only read if you have more chapters on the following days

46 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. I usually stop reading (I can not remember the story / I do not feel like re-reading the story)

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. I usually stop reading (translator who has abandoned a novel will abandon it again)

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibi

bibi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a question I ask myself.
    At least 4 novels (I think) that I followed and that were abandoned by they translator months ago, launched a new chapter this week, by the same translators. In other times, when a novel I was accompanying did this, I always read this chapter, and some olders ones to remember the story. But this time I didn't do it.
    At least in my experience, when this happens, it usually launches 1, 2 chapters, and will be abandoned again.
    I'll wait to see if the translation will really continue, and it's not just a chapter that came out of nowhere, before investing my time in this novel again.
    I would you like to know what you guys do when novels that you like and were abandoned by their translators are released again, by the same translators?
    Do you still read the novel soon?
    Do you guys wait to see if the translator will actually translate again?
    Or do you abandon the novel?
    And that's a good topic to show how it works for translators. What readers expect from them, what to expect from a return to active, etc...

wnln and Sabruness like this.
  2. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    mostly depends on how much i like the story.

Bad Storm, Sabruness, Rumby and 6 others like this.
  3. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on how mech I liked the story~
    And well one’s IRL circumstances come into play too~~
    Tho for me it’s mainly about my mood, I’m some times a bit too lazy~~~:blobthinkingsmirk::blobsmirk:

Lianna and barashkafromro like this.
  4. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    if it is a story I have been waiting for I will likely want to read it, but if they do end up abandoning it again, I consider it a sad ploy to prevent another group from picking up the series without readers complaining.

(the count here is relative and not the actual chapter count)
    If chapter 1 is released on month0 day1, then 2months later chapters 2 and 3, another month or 2 for chapter 4 and then just shy of 3 months for chapter5. I consider this to be "the translator has no intentions to translate this at speed and so others should feel free to pick it up".

when a story has tens hundreds or over a thousand chapters. it simply isn't fair to promise the complete translation only after many years have passed and still intend to deny others picking it up.

read the chapter if you feel like it, but then consider learning translation yourself? by the time you get to a decent standard, the story has likely not progressed so you may aswell pick it up too.

5. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    usually i wait 50-100 chapter before i start reading back, and that is assuming this is an interesting novel for me

wnln and OceanMagix like this.
  6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    *looks at .hack//cs and solaris*
    I reread them from the beginning usually in case it has been a while or i dont remember the story otherwise I wait for binge time and include them on my binging spree

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a novel I like then sure, probably. Though, if it's JP WN or CN then I might have just go MTL with the later chapters.
    If it's a novel I don't really care then I will just drop it.

8. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well most translators really don't pickup after dropping a particular novel generally

9. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually I just dropped the novel. It's too troublesome to reread the previous chapters as I'll probably forgot the plot and the names of the characters.

10. wnln

wnln Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EIther Read another novel. Ongoing <@or> Complete/d.
    Then wait until the new Chapter/s Release/s . Again

11. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    if there's no schedule listed then I'm assuming the person is just translating whenever they feel like it. if it's a story i really like then it doesnt matter, I'll read it as soon as it comes out. I'm not too concerned about forgetting pieces. eventually I'll just read the whole thing again anyway. after all if it's a story i like then I'd want to enjoy it again.

Lame stories... why would i bother?

12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There have been a few I stopped due to not remembering and not having the urge to reread, but that's because the story already wasn't great, for a good story I'm always willing to at the very least go over chap summaries up to current so long as it looks like the tl is fully active. I usually wait until they release 20 chaps with relatively stable and short time gaps.

"Relatively means it doesn't have to be ww/company that shall not be named, speeds. Daily or bi-daily is way too high of a hurdle. So long as a chap comes out over a few weeks it qualifies. Monthly at Max. Anything above that I'll just wait and binge read

13. AlmaStock

AlmaStock Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man honestly it depends , there are novels that you may not feel the urge to read.
    Though if someone picks up sayonara ryuusei i would reread everythimg , that one was my first novel.

14. demon666

demon666 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be hard returning to a previously abandoned novel. Ones that are already over 100 chapters especially so. The worst is any disconnect to the story and characters as it would ruin the feel of the novel. It's fine if it's only within 30 or so chapters for me, but after that the disconnection only widens and becomes worse.

15. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes it get boring reading the series I started translating. Not as interesting as some of the other ones.

16. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recall this happening twice. In both instances, they started where they left off while some other translator who had picked it up months earlier had a several-chapter lead from that point. They didn't go very far before disappearing again.

Sabruness likes this.
  17. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember this happened to Otherworldly Evil Monarch back in 2016 and I ended up abandoning it after there were no stable translator and update. Since it was a long time ago I might pick it up again and read from the start if it reaches 1000 chapters.

18. aurash45

aurash45 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't start immediately..try to remmber story n reread the synopsis.. I f really want to i start reading from the beginning or can post the oart i remember to get the chapter number to start from

19. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the total numbers of the chapters available in the raw.
    If I really liked it I prolly will already MTL read it..
    I wont read something that have 2000 chapters and being translated at the pace of 2 chapters per 3 month..
    Just not happening.
    The translator is prolly translating just to get some excersize for his/her language skill when that happens.
    He/she is prolly not aiming for money or publicity.. so it doesnt metter if its dropped by random readers.
    If Im not interested enough to mtl it I will 100% drop that series..

20. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I think it depends on my mood and interest in the novel.
    Like there's sometimes i just pile up chapters to binge since it's hard to remember stuff in novels if releases are sporadic or rare, rather not go back and reread if possible lol

If I'm still hyped and memory of it is still fresh, sure ill read the latest one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.