Question Abilities

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DiabolicGod, Jun 29, 2019.

?

Would you give the stranger a (within the reasonable limits) pretty strong (useful to him) ability?

1. Yes. (Why? Comment.)

2. No, I would give him a ... , because ...(Comment.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What ability that isn't overpowered but also not completely useless would you give a random stranger crossing into another world that you both don't know anything about?

Scenario: You have to give a stranger an ability that would help him when he reincarnates in an unknown world. You don't know anything about him/her, all you know is that you and 99 other persons will be reincarnated and all of you will get an ability decided by someone else in the group of 100. You don't know whether you will be reincarnated in the same world nor anything else apart from the rule that the ability you choose must be useful, but can't be godlike.

It must be an ability, so it can't be an item or simple knowledge or other things that others could gain.
    Useful:
    -You can see when someone is completely lying.
    -You know exactly what is around you in a small radius (1-2 m nothing escapes your perception)
    -You can spit seeds 80 m/s

Useless:
    -All your farts smell like fresh Pizza
    -Your hair stays in form against strong wind

Godlike:
    -You can control all matter/energy
    -you can teleport anywhere instantly and teleport anything with you (even the earth)
    -your body can't be harmed at all

possible drawbacks for the above:
    -you can teleport anywhere instantly and teleport anything with you (even the earth) -> you can teleport into known locations with things you can lift, but it takes a few seconds and is tiring
    -your body can't be harmed at all ---> you can make your body invulnerable for a few seconds, but it takes all your energy and you can't do it more than once a day

Drawbacks can be, that the ability is simply a better version of something other people may be capable of. Like: everyone who is strong or skilled enough can teleport, but that teleport makes noise and can be blocked, but yours can't be blocked and is silent.
    or also a deficit, like the ability hurting an organ of the user. Like stopping time for one person, but it also stops your heart.

ps: you can balance an ability that would be too overpowered with a drawback to make it acceptable or boost a useless ability.

+points for abilities that can be developed into something stronger through effort

Maelstrom08 and Traveling Chef like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like support ability which can buff by a factor of, say, "x" the ability of the person it is applied on. With 2x buffing only when used on me. :blobowoevil_horns:

P.S. I don't hv much idea of games, so not sure if that's how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. DiabolicGod

Reading List:
    Link
    So long as there is a limit to the power you can buff, I'd say that is pretty useful

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obediance:
    Any creature meeting the users gaze has to obey it's will.
    Drawback:
    - Target mustn't be more than one big realm stronger than the user
    - User is targeted with his own ability as long as it's creator is concerned ; Treat this as if his creator would always be meeting user's gaze, even if he would be blinded otherwise (injury, curse, closed eyelids, etc.)
    :D:D:D

5. DiabolicGod

Reading List:
    Link
    Only while they are looking into each others eyes?
    maybe add/change that stronger creatures can shake it off after a moment and the effects linger on weaker people?

6. NoLoliNoLife

NoLoliNoLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ability to photosynthesize. You only need water and sunlight to live :)

7. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nullify every kind of supernatural, but limited to touch with the right hand.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  8. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    would perfect metabolic process be too much? specifically whatever your body takes in, produces no waste. you would use 100% of all food, drink, even the air you breath would break down and give your body 100% of whatever it was needed without excess waste produced. even taking in harmful substances would result in a net gain for your body

of course, taking a perfect metabolic process to the extreme would effectively allow a person to be immortal but I'm just focusing on the catabolic and anabolic processes and not the entirety of the metabolic process.

what I'm saying is no outside harmful substances would be able to harm you unless in very large quantities, i.e poison, carbon monoxide, alcohol.
    and you never have to use the bathroom ever again.

Maelstrom08 and DiabolicGod like this.
  9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Either one of those two and also they can cutomize them:
    Make anything they touch other than humans into lolis
    Make anything they touch other than humans into milfs
    And honestly, depending on what sort of person they are, these abilities can fall under any of the categories you mentioned.

Traveling Chef and DiabolicGod like this.
  10. DiabolicGod

Reading List:
    Link
    pretty good, yeah, though the question would be what happens to all that matter and energy. you could very well die from having too much energy because you breathed in a bit too much xD
    maybe a growing ability?

Maelstrom08 and Traveling Chef like this.
  11. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    that could be good, it's also possible that a downside would be that you had to be constantly using up that excess energy through exercise or military-like training.
    it would also allow you to continue moving a reasonably long amount of time as lactic acid wouldn't build up in your system as quickly.

so in a fantasy setting, you would be constantly diving into dungeons or training yourself and others while limiting your intake of anything other than the most basic needs.

and the more muscle mass you have the more energy you would need so being as big as a Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson would be an effective use of just basic food and water intake.

edit: it could start small like harmful substances don't affect you as much and as it grows it makes it so you waste less and less until it becomes perfect.

maybe the skill starts as "enhanced metabolism" then levels up to the "perfect metoblic process"

DiabolicGod likes this.
  12. DiabolicGod

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd imagine that it speeds up the stronger you get, so that you still have to breath out the majority, until later on you only breathe out half as much air as you breathe in.
    I like it, it's balanced, simple and has lots of potential.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  13. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was misswritten; It is intended to linger either way.
    Bit OP, but not too much - and is destined to serve me. Plus the ability I'd get myself... Should at least make it to the later parts of the novel :p:D

14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Information storage.
    Kind of like a savant but not unlimited information.
    I recommend reading Lord of Mysteries for inspiration.
    P.S. I will be moving to even better servers so there might not be any chapters released the first week of next month.
    Cheers!

15. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought of another power I been kicking around my head for a while.

Shapeshifting; at the lowest level you can only do basic mimicry of another like-sized mortal, possibly only for a limited amount of time.

at the highest level Omnifarious
    you don't shift your shape so much as bend the reality of your body.

low level shapeshifting would be something like mystique from X-men or even something like a Werewolf is a lower end version of shapeshifting
    at the highest level of shapeshifting "Omnifarious", you could do things similarly to Genie from Aladin and could change your shape, Mass, molecular make-up. the only limit would be your imagination.

at low level you wouldn't be able to be anything much smaller or larger than your own body mass. you would still be affected by things like alcohol or poison, possibly to a lesser degree than the average joe but no more than say a snake handler you has inoculated themselves to those kinds of things or a drunkard who is use to drinking alot.

and even at the high level of Omnifarious, you can still be affected by things like poison or stab wounds or even death, but only so longs as you want to
    Schrödinger from Hellsing has a variant of this called Belief-Dependant physiology, so long as he believes it to be true of himself, it will always be.

so at the beginning of the adventure, you would only be able to use it for things like infiltration, and spy work. Mimic a guard to get close to a target, or mimic townsfolk to escape from a pursuer.
    after leveling up/training or through full understanding of the ability you would be able to have basically any other ability you desire. along with all the basic shapeshifting skills.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  16. Meloncauli

Meloncauli 『Melon Cauli』『If you prick us, do we not bleed?』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ability to be fluent in the local language. That seems pretty useful.

17. DiabolicGod

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, that isn't really an ability. more likely would be something along the lines of having an inherent understanding of what exactly people are saying in that language and its nuances. Like that no misunderstandings would occur.
    at a higher level it could be developed to being capable of speaking to/understanding anything, even the physical laws or animals.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  18. Meloncauli

Meloncauli 『Melon Cauli』『If you prick us, do we not bleed?』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like your idea.

19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Ability to form a connection with someone to communicate to. Think a chat group or something like that.

Drawback - Require consent from both sides, and could only be used with other otherworlders.

20. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Danger sense. The user knows when he is likely to get hurt or killed, which enough forewarning to take action. Reacts to strong monsters, slavers, poisonous berries, avalanches, political plots and anything else... Gives only vague information about what the danger will be, but good information about how it can be avoided. At higher levels, extends to danger to people the user cares about, and may give more useful information or better forewarning. May evolve into full precognitive ability.

Other worlds are quite dangerous places, I'm sure it will be useful. Probably not too strong on its own, but the user can expect a long and rewarding career in occupations where people usually die young, like adventuring, politics or crime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.