Spoiler About Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Yumika12345, Mar 16, 2017.

1. teal08

teal08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 1st half upto the hidden room one was expected, it was somewhat mentioned that Hartmut comissioned Wilma about Rozemyne's paintings somewhere.. The last part was unexpected, I wonder if his parents knew the room contents and can no longer stop the runaway :blobsweat:
    I also remember Otelie's reaction during her son's name dedication to Rozemyne :blobjoy: she gently turning her gaze away..

How? I can't imagine..
    How about before he pinched her cheek, what was he thinking? :blobthinkingsmirk:
    It was expected as her role was finished long ago. It's just that i'm more worried about Rozemyne's relationship with Gilberta people (Otto and Corina) or Rozemain's income from her ongoing investments in Ehrenfest, will it still continue? :hmm:

Same reaction :notlikeblob: I don't need these kind of info

Does the collateral royal family get adopted/married into the main royal family and treated them as ordinary Jurgensmidth royal family? I remember that they were either married by Aub (if there are willing to take them) or become a central side servant and not totally treat them as Jurgensmidth royal family :hmm:

Kaylee likes this.
  2. nesi

nesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems I have mistranslated :facepalm:. It was written 最終的にはジェルバージオに敗北して終了です which I initially translated as 'In the end, Silvasio lost' but actually means, "In the end, she lost to Silvasio."

The girls have never truly been treated as royalty by other royals, but on the outside, they were still collateral royals, so normal nobles give them the treatment their status deserves. The girls also received baptism and entered the royal academy like normal nobles, but if they couldn't secure a marriage before graduation, they would be returned to the Adalgiza as either 'flower' or feystones.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Kaylee, teal08 and saix2 like this.
  3. saix2

saix2 I'm seeing things

Reading List:
    Link
    I really cant imagine Roz winning in that scenario even though she killed Dietrend. If she is 2-5 days early, Dunkel wont go with her to Central, Georgene will win at Ehrenfest. The reason they didnt lost at Ahrensbach/Illgner/Gerlach border is becoz of reinforcements. They will be over run at Ehrenfest. Central aristrocrats are already hypnotize by Turk, Traokvar and Sigizwald will hide in their bunkers. Ignoring the leaving Lanzeneve ship means it will go back with reinforcements. Its the end of Yurgen and Roz and most of the Royal family female members will be thrown at AdalGiza or Temple Brothel as requested by Immanuel.

Sorry haha about the Hartmunt reaction I still cant shrug my long time theory of him to be hidden villain.

Ok I retract my No comment after rereading my initial reaction. I suddenly remember if Myne become a gray priestess and not a blue shrine maiden... Central orphans had that tough life.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Kaylee likes this.
  4. teal08

teal08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking a little similar.. I was always wondering if he'll betray Rozemyne one day since the author letting him know about the temple entrance to the foundation magic (not only on any duchy, but also Jurgensmidth's) since he was present during Rozemyne's disappearance by pouring magic to Mestionora and deduced that the library was related to Ahrenbach's foundation entryway...
    (due to Rozemain's carelessness)
    When Rozemyne is acting related to foundation magic, she's careless about people around her that she didn't even order their silence about the important information related to foundation magic (including Hartmut or even Hannelore/Heistiz when they were about to transfer to Ehrenfest city from Gerlach):facepalm: Unlike Ferdinand, who only takes the dedicated people and orders their silence upon arriving, even letting them go about face :blobsweat:

Kaylee and saix2 like this.
  5. saix2

saix2 I'm seeing things

Reading List:
    Link
    I also wonder of the full contents of Ferdinand and Hartmunt contract. Coz that was the leash holding him back blackmailing Roz. Sorry Hartmunt fans. My first impressions dont really change that much...

Kaylee and teal08 like this.
  6. Neuthue

Neuthue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is official art.

This is one of the small things I like about Sylvester; he can't say no but does the second-best thing to try to salvage the situation.

I'm not really a Hartmut fan, but I have never seen him as someone who would harm or betray Roz; he gave her his name stone after discovering her origins and even added a few restrictions to the contract to protect Roz in his priv. SS. Would he go behind her back to improve her chances for anything she needs? - without a doubt, but after the Traugott incident, he learned that he can't go around like that if he wants her to accept him as a retainer.

Kaylee, saix2 and Jukki like this.
  7. teal08

teal08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kaylee, Jukki and raremonkey like this.
  8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure, from Sylvester and Rozemain, this is what he scares the most since both are the ones he cares about.

But, eliminate who? I'd understand if they are the Lanzenave's people/soldier.
    Ahrenbach? So, how they'll get in the way?
    From the sentence, I took it as AFTER the whole thing is finished, right? The girls are saved and in the port side waiting or already in the castle waiting/resting for Ehrehfest's side to come to ask them question? Then, the people Eckhart might find 'gets in the way' should be Ahrensbach, the girls' family or other traitor nobles that want to cut the loose end?

Hmm.....maybe they accept the death in exchange of the 'children production' fate and being seen by their people as feystone.

Well, Sylvester is very much pised off with how they threat Ferdinand, and now his adopted daughter too??

I want one ss of Wilfred coming to talk to her. Either talking how her plan with him fall through, or how his pov is the result of her education, or maybe he still thinks of her as grandmother.

So, it meant, Philine's mana is higher than the ones she can sense?
    Wont it put her marriage (pregnancy) with Damuel in danger?

saix2 and teal08 like this.
  9. teal08

teal08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same Question :)

I think Philine's is more on lesser mana, since the mana sensing is between 70%-120%/130% of your own mana and she just starting to sense others people's mana.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Jukki, saix2 and Kaylee like this.
  10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once again, I realize, I'm disliking Aldophine more and more.
    She's just so selfish.

11. saix2

saix2 I'm seeing things

Reading List:
    Link
    eliminate who?
    This is a political strat btw. All politicians also do this during chaos/disruptions. Like in a supposed siege of a city. If that politician had a list of possible threat to his reign he and his goons/retainers will go with the flow. In this case maybe Eckhart has a long list of anti-Ferdinand politicians. Killing them in the span of 2 days (during Lanzeneve attack and Ahrensbach rebellion). Then blame it all on the crisis. Coz once they (Roz/Fer) take office officially they will be neutral and cant take further murderous actions during their reign. They need a just cause to eliminate them. They have like 2 winters to observe Ahrensbach nobility.

Nabeyaki Udon and Kaylee like this.
  12. teal08

teal08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kindly elaborate your opinion, i'm curious as well :lordmeow:
    Maybe you'll change your perspective once part XI is out since many readers are requesting for her perspective in part XI (though it's going to be a special SS bundled outside the book I think):blobsweat_2:
    I even haven't read her SS about her behind the scenes marriage situation with Sigiswald yet.. I wonder if someone would give even the mtl of it or a link to read it.

There are too many aspect to be covered in the words 'eliminate the hindrance' (figuratively or literally):blobsweat:
    It could be politically or romantic perspective hindrance.. or those already in the prison, or those surviving Lanzenave, or those as you mentioned the opposition faction.. That's why I'm confused which one as well :hmm:

13. saix2

saix2 I'm seeing things

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe s/he read this

I like Adolphine than Eglantine. She (A) maybe dead set on copying rinsham and wanting to be close to Roz but she never meant to do personal harm unlike (E) where she choose to force her wishes without explaining anything and making Fer their hostage (collective punishment).
    (off course this is opinion only for Main story - opinion for additional story may differ if author choose to expand her role in the sequel or spinoff)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    teal08, Jukki and Neuthue like this.
  14. Neuthue

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Adolphine; she is way better than Eglantine.
    After FB7, we all know that Sigiswald's middle duchy wife planned the pregnancy to harass her as the new first wife. At the same time, Adolphine did everything to save the royal family's ass - look at the Ahrenback Aub's funeral, where the first prince made another blunder. What did she get in return? - treated as a consolidation prize and a pretty face, nothing more; her achievements and feelings were not considered. She deserves better.

If rebelling against the bad treatment is selfish, I do not know what to say to you.

Nabeyaki Udon, saix2 and Jukki like this.
  15. YumenoJigen

YumenoJigen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's normal to try and secure a better future for yourself, especially in the AOB world where even your own family often see you as just a tool, and a woman's happiness usually depends on her marriage partner. Adolphine is wise and capable but she's always beaten down, and she's entirely right in her criticism of Sigiswald. I had a blast when she prayed to the goddess of parting upon her marriage :blobrofl: It's good that her prayers will be answered. It was also fun that both Adolphine and Rozemine held their ground against him and firmly told him how unreasonable he was. And they both compound their own potions lol. I do see these two as getting along.... more honestly at least than Rozemyne would with Eglantine considering what situation Eglantine forced Rozemyne into. I do wonder if Adolphine will learn the truth about the palace that was to be gifted to Rozemyne on Academy grounds... :hmm:

About Hartmut... I can't see him betraying Rozemyne either, given how devoted he is to her, and his antics are always fun to read about. I mean, do you see Eckhart betraying Ferdinand? I understand though if people worried about how far his fanaticism could take him... in various directions. He would crossdress despite not being suited for it, which would cause problems. Staining his hands.... would not make his mistress happy, but that would surely be to protect her in some way. That said, I do see him pushing her around to some extent in order to further his own goal of spreading and strengthening his cult worshipping Goddess Rozemyne... just like he did when teaching the orphanage kids how to pray and acting like he was taking those kids' future hostage when she told him to stop.

He also said he wanted to spread that person's splendor to downtown. I can imagine teaching the commoners reading, and as the printing industry spreads in alexandria, him making some sort of book teaching the commoners all about the glory of Saint Rozemyne who became the Aub.... especially if he takes a leaf from her book, and make picture books about her, like she had done picture books about the gods... as that would make it harder for Rozemyne to sneak into downtown... I'm not sure he could keep it a secret though :blob_tilt::hmm: Someone would surely stop him and chew him out before it came to that :blobnom: Well, Clarissa would be sure to support him in this endeavor lol.

Callumcortes, Jukki and saix2 like this.
  16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeking their own happiness in a bussiness arranged marriage is acceptable.
    Seeking their own happiness but not willing to put the effort to understand your spouse but only to ridicule while still wanting to take benefit from said marriage is where I found her person as selfish.

And then, when the whole thing goes down and it doesnt bring her family's benefit, she immediately proposes divorce to escape friendly fire to her family and her happiness. Even before that, she creates amulets and pray to related god to annul the marriage.
    I mean, she agrees with the marriage because it brings her duchy great things from the demand or compensation. And she knows, entering another family means she'd need to help them too. But she's just unwilling to be mana batery.

For me, she and Sigswald are similar. Both are unwilling to listen to others. They both are too used to be in command and ordering other to do what they want. Just like how she's been doing to her brother. When the husband she marries is someone not to her expectation and someone she cannot control for her status is lower than him, she just gives up. I thought she's only selfish with people that cannot say no to her, like Ortwin.
    Is there anyone who would shout when the marriage partner is not as your expectation in that society? She's lucky to have privilege.

Yes, Adolphine is educated to be the one to rule. She has pride. She doesnt bow to anyone she considers lower than her. That's how, she despises Sigswald whom she thinks brainless. After she finds him like that, she loses her interest for the marriage only the word of 'bring benefit to our duchy' is the one tied her. That's how her person is. And that's how Sigswald is. Both are like that because they are taught from childhood to adult of people's expectation and their birth status brings. The same with Anastasius, but he's willing to bow for the sake of love.

Well, this is my impression of her after I read her ss pov.

saix2 likes this.
  17. nesi

nesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, let's try an in-depth analysis of Adolphine (btw, I am in support of her, so do fix me if I made wrong interpretation).

First of all, Aldolphine has never wanted to marry into royalty. She enjoyed her life in
    her duchy, and even wanted to become Aub. However, her duchy needs a daughter to marry a prince to balance the power with Dunkelfelger and Klansberg. Status-wise and age-wise, Adolphine is the only candidate, so she has no choice but to accept as this is her dutyas the daughter of Aub. This means that in Adolphine's view, her marriage is a purely political one. Once it no longer brings benefits to her duchy, it is a given that the marriage be dissolved.

She might see her marriage a bit more positively if only the husband treats her well.
    But as we all know, Anastasius is madly in love with Eglantine and Sigwalz only has throne in his eyes, so both of them only court Eglantine and paid no attention to Adolphine, not even sending her a single gift or letter. Prior to Anastasius's engagement with Eglantine, Adolphine's brother noted his surprise when he found out that his sister has, despite her status as a royal fiancee, never been treated like a proper fiancee by her betrothed-to-be. Adolphine understands the reasoning behind the princes' behavior, but it is only natural that she doesn't feel good about it, especially because she is also Eglantine's friend and thus see how ardent were the princes in courting her.

Later, when Adolphine is properly engaged with Sigwalz and started her marriage preparation, it becomes more apparent how Sigwalz doesn't have an ounce of consideration toward her. There are many incidents, small to medium ones, that annoy Adolphine, but the biggest is the one before the wedding. That day, Sigwalz summons her to his palace (pretty rude, because he didn't even ask if Adolphine was busy or not and directly send a messenger to fetch her), only to announce that his second wife is pregnant and thus he cannot share a bed with Adolphine until the baby was born. Adolphine was stunned and asked if this means that their wedding is going to be postponed. Sigwalz instead looks confused and says why should it be postponed? You do know that the royalty is in dire need of mana, right? Needless to say, Adolphine returned home very pissed off, and even her father the Aub — who dismissed Adolphine's previous complaints of Sigwalz as her expressing dissatisfaction of getting married off duchy — was totally speechless after listening to Adolphine's report, and finally had to admit that his daughter is right. But the engagement still has to go on, because this is a contract with the royal family.

Why is Sigwalz's action such a big matter? First, he let his second wife pregnant just before marrying a first wife. This is a breach of etiquette because the newly-married first wife, the one with higher status to be noted, will be left cold during the pregnancy. If such a thing happened, the groom's family should offer an apology and compensation, and postponing the wedding is also acceptable. But during the conversation, Sigwalz didn't show Adolphine even the slightest bit of apology and only announced the fact as if it is the most natural thing for Adolphine to be considerate to him without him needing to do the same. Moreover, when he said that the wedding cannot be postponed because of the royal family's need for mana, it implies that he saw Aldolphine just as a mana battery, not an equal partner. This is degrading, because once again, Adolphine is married as his first wife, bringing with her the support of her Duchy.

With all of this, is it strange that Adolphine sees her marriage with a 100% mercenary view? 'If you cannot fulfill the promised clauses then the contract is void' kind of thing. Like Rozemyne would later note, once Sigwalz is reduced from prince to aub, he could no longer give Adolphine's duchy the support he promised because that can only be given by his status as prince or king. On the contrary, he would have to ask for support for his duchy, which... make the marriage one-sidedly benefit Sigwalz.

tl;dr: Adolphine marries Sigwalz purely out of her duty for her duchy, and totally rejects him on a personal level. Once the marriage no longer brings benefits to her duchy, it is only normal for her to divorce him.

Side note: I agree that we need another Adolphine's pov. What particularly intrigued me is her remark when Sigwalz accused her of being power-hungry when she asked for a divorce right after it was decided that Sigwalz's royalty status would be gone. She said to him, "Have we truly been a husband and wife?" --> which implied more things have happened after their wedding.

18. YumenoJigen

YumenoJigen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with everything you said, @nesi
    Besides, Adolphine and here retainers were basically confined to the mansion and not told anything. I think we can say Sigiswald is the one who's truly selfish, and self-serving here. He says he respects Adolphine, Rozemyne, and their respective duchies, yet we need only look at how he actually treats them. I don't think you can respect someone who doesn't respect you. He makes Adolphine fulfill her duties as a royal when he doesn't fulfill his own duties. I feel he truly sees both Adolphine and Rozemine as only mana batteries.
    And Eglantine is one who also considered Rozemyne as a battery, being the first to say her mana was necessary to the royal family, and making her Sigiswald's 3rd wife without caring how she (Rozemyne) or Ehrenfest would suffer as a result. She also made (or try to make) various other unreasonable demands like having Rozemyne and Ehrenfest continue with the rituals at the Academy over the years.

I don't remember Adolphine acting that way, though. More like she protected Rozemyne at tea parties, and Sylvester at the funeral of aub ahrensbach?

Still... the more I read about Sigiswald, or Adolphine's (true) assessment of him, the more I recall someone saying in this thread that he and Willfried are the same, both arrogantly expecting others to bow down to them simply because of their position and simply accept whatever is asked of them, not even noticing how unreasonable and disrespectful, if not downright insulting, they're being...

Nabeyaki Udon, teal08, renuac and 3 others like this.
  19. Tiilka

Tiilka Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Siggy is a complete and utter ass. He wants the throne.
    Even in the end when Rozemyne lays down the God’s rules, he keeps trying to marry Rozemyne so he can be Zent. He doesn’t want to put in the effort to get the book himself. Adolphine is intelligent and ambitious and she is forced to marry a man who does not respect her and is cruising on nepotism for his livelihood. I admit her stealing (poorly)the rinsham recipe from Rozemyne made me dislike her but she isn’t actually evil ( like Deitlande). And nobody deserves to be stuck with Siggy. It was a political marriage to bring her duchy more power, since he ends up becoming the Aub of a new and lesser duchy, there is zero advantage to her duchy. And since she could not care less about him as a husband. She took the hit to her rep (she is pretty much unmarryable now) and gained land for her duchy that she can be leib of.
    good for Adolphine!

20. Neuthue

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me see if I understood your points right @Kaylee:
    Political marriage is a contract where you provide a "service" of support for equal benefits.
    According to you, if the husband breached the contract (meaning: not providing the agreed-upon benefits), should the wife just shut up and take it without any moves to null the agreement? And if the breached contract not only brings none of the agreed-upon benefits but entails harassment and abuse, the poor girl shall just shut up and take it as it is?
    Did I understand you correctly? - you are entitled to your opinion, but if I get that right, I'm afraid I have to disagree with your take on her.

I, too, agree with everything you said, @nesi.

Nabeyaki Udon, renuac, Jukki and 2 others like this.