Discussion About Gender Oppression in Cultivation Novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Slief, Feb 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay so in alot of cultivation novels i see that women are treated worse then men there, i mean i guess that most of them are based on ancient times and so on but the reason that women were treated so in ancient times was because Men contributed more in Farming, enlisting in army and so on because of the difference in physical strength.

so theoritcally if a society based on strength like a cultivation society arose and the difference in hierarchy is based on their cultivation, shouldn't there be no gender differences? i have seen a lot of novels where either the MC or the Antagonist goes "How can a woman be so strong?" or like "Hmph! back off woman, what could you possibly do as a woman", doing that is basically like offending half the population of cultivators who can easily kill you with a single slap.

So shouldn't there be no gender oppressions even though it's set in ancient times? cause what determines your worth there is your aptitude in cultivation not gender.

It really breaks my immersion where they do that.

Saphychan, Wakashii and TDDM like this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You make it sound like guys think with their brain instead of their testosterone lol. Face it, even if a woman was the Empress of the World and can kill anyone with a slap, the instant a guy looks at her, he'll start drooling. Speaking from a guy's point of view. lol.

jubd likes this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all eventually balanced out by how much the MC, as a representative of manhood, single-handedly through the course of the story, gets oppressed or looked down on. :blobReach:

4. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah then somehow the author will write that MC is a guy who respects female and that he is different and all that shiz.

otaku31, Saphychan and jubd like this.
  5. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An mc in a cultivation novel that respects women? never heard of them. generally they are either rapists or eternal married virgins

Saphychan and jubd like this.
  6. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, but the author will still do his best to show us that he is different by making up a bunch of excuses like "He knows that he shouldn't have done but that was the only thing he could do in that situation bla bla bla" that's why I like novels with only absolute villain Mc or an actual gentleman MC I despise hypocrite MCs

jubd likes this.
  7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically speaking, the real reason women were always put in the back was due to evolution. As mammals moved away from laying eggs to giving birth. Males would generally protect the females due to it being more likely for species survival.

As for how relevant that would be in a cultivator or any other society. It would probably still be somewhat relevant as women are help grow the clan by giving birth, and can also be used as tools for marrying away. Now sure, you can marry men away too, but the one who usually takes care of the children would be the woman. Thus, it gives better leverage as you brainwash the next generation into being friendly with you. Not to mention, polyndry would still be rarer than polygamy. Because polygamy leads to more heirs than polydnry. This is also why the population in many cultivation novels is billions per city.

This is also why the male heir is the one who gets most of the resources, while all the other males are pretty much treated as worthless trash.

Thus, unless the female cultivator themselves is the strongest, it is possible that women are put in the back line as their value would still be more as bridges to more powerful clans.

Slief likes this.
  8. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might look unrealistic but in fact, this could easily happen in reality.
    There's also Confucianism enforcing gender roles, so keep that in mind.
    In real life, it is similar to medieval Europe. Peasant women had to work in the fields alongside their male counterparts despite also dealing in cooking, cleaning, childcare, and other housework, meaning women needed strength and stamina as well, yet they had lower social statuses than men due to Christian/cultural beliefs. They also lived shorter lives on average then men but that might be due to the dangers of childbirth and malnutrition.
    Women were also paid lower when the Black Death killed off large portions of the population and women had to fill in roles traditionally given to men, but there is still a debate on the reason why they are paid lower wages.
    We still have it today with women being statistically paid lower even if they are given the same work as men in employment.
    There's many other factors to consider which would lead to an entire book being published.

TLDR: Equal strength does not necessarily lead to equality, whether in fiction or reality, no matter how unrealistic it is.

Saphychan and jubd like this.
  9. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you 100%, we can talk about how men are more proud and strong by nature, but the 'law of the strongest' can only be really applied in cultivation world based on cultivation and power, that's all, I really can't understand how most authors can't see that.

by reading this topic I remember that ZTJ is a very good novel with plots around this question, the strongest person in the country is the empress, and she is lonely with no man by her side, that would make a lot of ppl bothered 'how can a woman be the leader of the dinasty?', so what she does? She kills until ppl understand by force that they can't disrespect her.

Novels with side characters like that are masterpieces, sadly we don't have enough, and because of the cliche of women mostly being used for pleasure is still fine in the vision of most readers, authors fail to improve and create a more '''''realistic'''''cultivation world.

seabuckthorn and Slief like this.
  10. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly there are a so many ways to answer why, but the real answer is always going to be down to the author's beliefs. If you grow up being taught that one gender is inferior to the other that mindset is going to infect your written work as well. The reason cultivation worlds oppress women has nothing to do with historical accuracy, it is simple because the author has that bias, so naturally their world has it too.