Resolved About Private Servers

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by bewitched, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewitched

bewitched Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a private server picked up a series, are we not allowed to pick it up anymore? Is there a unspoken rule about this? We picked up a series cause we did not see it here at NU yet, then a private server told that they are translating it and asked us to stop. They are a private server so we didn’t know. Should we stop?

BTW I don't think it will ever be resolve.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  2. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I say you continue. A lot of readers don't even have access to 'private' servers so there is no way for us to read. Even if we somehow discover this group that has been hiding under the rock, the invites are limited. I understand their concerns but if it is not on NU, I think it should be open to translating. NU Rules don't apply to them if they are not on NU. :blobwhistle:
    Please continue translating so that we, the readers, can discover more novels and enjoy more chapters. Thank you for your hard work (y):cookie:

Blitz, yserieh, sin-angel and 3 others like this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless the private server actually owns the right to the series, they don't have the leverage to make you stop. And if they get nasty about it, you can probably dogpile them with the fans that you'll quickly pick up from the public sphere.

That being said, their next course of action could be to release to the public. That would force you off if they're doing a good job. Iunno, I'd check the quality of their translation since their first move would probably be to give you access to read that series as a bribe.

Cian-Chan, LaDyViL and runsing like this.
  4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    you can do whatever you want. no one is stopping you. unless it is officially licensed for publication in english freely available for purchase by the public, you can do whatever you want. if it is a fan translator hiding behind a pay wall and only allowing their friends to view, then they dont really exist. go pick it up if you want.

Shio, Cian-Chan, Jaspaaar and 2 others like this.
  5. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless they have a license for it, I think you could continue

runsing likes this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're specifically asking about Novel Update's release listings, then releases not listed on the site are irrelevant to all discussion. From Novel Update's perspective, the series is not being translated if it is not listed, and new releases are absolutely welcome.

If you're asking about standards of courtesy generally upheld in the community, then it could go either way. Normally I'd strongly urge against picking up a project another translator is already working on. If said translator is making it extremely difficult to outright impossible for people to read their work, however, then... well... are they really even translating it, in the ways that matter?

7. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    This right here. What's the use of translating it, limiting the access and then harassing other groups who are actually providing the chapters to everyone by re-translating the same novel.

yserieh, Eelillya and sin-angel like this.
  8. bewitched

bewitched Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, Thank you for your answers~ We will continue to translate it. :blobamused::justabotheart:

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  9. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    which novel was the cause of conflict? Might as well go check it out huhu (totally not looking for a recc)

10. bewitched

bewitched Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was stopped by other members to disclose the name cause we don't want any conflict. But this time, I saw in another group that also has a trouble with a private server and I had their permission to say it cause it's really getting out of hands so I decided to open this thread again just to share it. So this novel "May I kill you, Your Majesty?" is being done by a private server which means not all readers are able to read them. Then, it was posted by a reader to a public translation group's server to request for translation and a translator from that group decided that they want to do it. The private server then got the news and declared a war, they literally said that if the group do it, they will start a war. I can't send the ss of that message but we don't want to implicate a member of that private server who kindly shared it with us. I am once again opening this thread for everyone to share your opinion cause not gonna lie, start a war? it's so petty.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  11. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, just translate it man. Don't think that much.

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  12. bewitched

bewitched Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    told them to just do that. What kind of war could they even do? release chapters faster like it would do anything, they're a private server.

13. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    my fellow member, staff-sama has spoken. Ignore them. If they want to start a war, they will have to go public. Which they clearly don't want to. Private translations are not part of NU. And they can't stop you unless it is author themselves who descends onto you with the accursed DMCA. Chillax~

14. bewitched

bewitched Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RIght~ Ive sent them this thread it has also been on their announcement. They just prolly got anxious cause nobody wants a war. Though the private server is saying nasty things now which is just sad

15. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    eh best way too handle stubborn people is just to ignore them~

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which public group is this?

Your first post said it's not on NU, but this novel is on NU with dead links.

17. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller said it nicely, but as far as I'm concerned, private groups can fuck off. They're not on NU, so idgaf if they're translating or not. Especially since these private groups act like pseudo-cults or pyramid schemes.

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  18. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator did not want to... confront them so they deleted it. What a shame. All the hard work wasted :blobwoah:

LaDyViL likes this.
  19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fr? they do not get to intimidate others when they're cowardly enough to hide being a private server. smh.

20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which translator? The one listed on NU's page? Which one? Or the public/private translators mentioned by @bewitched ?

Please don't use a general term, it gets confusing when talking about multiple groups.

Sutad Aatma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.