News About Qidian International Project

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Qidian, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black9Pink

Black9Pink Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because that are where the potential readers for Qidian novels are at. (Munpia is pretty much dominated by fantasy/sci-fi).

Sometimes, it's better to be part of a big pond than creating your own small pond.

For example, if you are a foreign publisher selling ebooks in the USA, do you create your own website to sell or sell them on established markets where readers are at (Amazon, Nook, Apple, Google)?

Sure, if you create your own site, you get a bigger cut but the disadvantage of that is that only a small reader base will find their way to this website.

Whereas, there are millions of potential readers on Amazon etc...

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    o_O still a waste of money, dude. they would have just spent less on doing advertising and enticing people over. >_> Long-term plan here man. I doubt they would even bother with targeting small audiences cause it would not be profitable. Fan translators cleared the way for qidian to try to branch out here.

3. Black9Pink

Black9Pink Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are no fan translations of Qidian novels in South Korea. So Qidian will have to start from scratch and build up. That could be expensive.

Option A: Create your own site and get more of the cut but a much small reader base. Have to do marketing to gain more readers etc..

Option B: Join Munpia that offer 63% royalties. Munpia have a very large reader base.

I rather take 63% of $10,000 (from a large reader base)
    than take 100% of $2000 (from a small reader base)

4. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we may start some new stories and we have invited some mature fan translators to keep their works. Do you like it?

welcome all translators and editors~ To be an editor, at least you should good at the English grammar. We build up a test for all editors. Please try it if you are willing to join.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  5. underwaterrain

underwaterrain

Reading List:
    Link
    Who are the characters in the banner on the first post?

Just curious, does anyone know?

SummerX likes this.
  6. Black Frost

Black Frost Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In case anyone's wondering how to apply to be an editor, scroll all the way to the bottom of the en.qidian site and poof, there you go. Finished the application today and I'm already excited for a response.

7. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Qidian: This was written on reddit in response to a question about unauthorized translators:
    This statement on reddit seems to a bit contradictory to the statements that have been made on this thread. Which is correct?

8. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's same. The reason I said not 0 effect is that some TLs and groups said they don't care the copyright and they don't like to cooperate. They will move into pirate websites if we can not offer them a totally unreasonable rate with no limitations such as the quality plus update frequency requirements, even we have promised them that we won't charge them if they can not reach the requirement in temporary in case like mid-term or final something.... So what we can do for this? Do you really think 5 chapters / week is a slave like terms?

9. xXxPhilxXx

xXxPhilxXx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I don't think that answer at all what @Tannhauser is asking. They were asking about your statement on reddit about the "can not guarantee there is 0 effect to all unauthorized fan translators". That can also mean that people who don't sign up with you can face legal issues.

Also, in your statement, you are placing the blame entirely onto the translators for being unreasonable or asking for unreasonable amounts of money. But there's the quite probable reason they did not apply with you because your conditions were unreasonable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda wonder how this will affect Novelupdates as a whole. Things like wondering how it might affect NU's traffic and whether the need for NU will dry up some with a different centralized hub for novel access

11. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe they don't have to worry about that unless they are going to be a pirate site, right? I hope they can contact to us and find out the cooperation model which is benefit for both.

I believe both of us will grow up into next stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
    BabaNovac and Shio like this.
  12. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    How will having an international Qidian site help to improve NU? NU's whole purpose is aggregating links to novels and thus enabling more access to novels. With a already centralized location for such provided by QI, NU loses one of its core functionalities. It's like how for the longest time I didn't particularly use NU, cuz I was satisfied by WW as a hub for novels. This will be the same but on an even larger scale.

Furthermore, the question of legality will frighten off many of the fan translators who consider tling a hobby, which will further decrease the number of novels being translated.

These are possibilities that could cause a decrease in the traffic that NU sees particularly with Nu being so young

13. xXxPhilxXx

Reading List:
    Link
    You said translators and groups may move to pirate sites. How are you defining pirate sites? Are they sites that haven't sign up with you or already have authorizations like WW? If so, doesn't that mean that all sites that don't agree to work with you are open to legal action and consequences?

Also, according do you:

Translators need to release at least 5 times a week, receiving pay that you think is reasonable, with their work measured up to unknown quality standards, and who else knows what kind of terms you're shoving at them? If translators have to ask qidian for "authorization", does that mean qidian gets to choose which novel gets translated? No wonder none of the big groups have announced signing up with you.

How can NU and QI grow together? NU/NUF is built around a community of fan translators. It hosts links to novels of mulitple languages. I highly, highly doubt NU/NUF would ever cooperate with you because that would mean losing neutrality.

Lovely and gr8 b8 m8 like this.
  14. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    While I don't think they'll grow together, I do think NU will cooperate because that is how NU maintains it neutrality. It only provides "licit" links (which is why it prevents pdfs of licensed novels from being on the forum). If Qidian wants to strongarm its way, I'd imagine that NU would let them

15. xXxPhilxXx

Reading List:
    Link
    one last remark before I leave. Would you be willing to show us the contract you have given to translators? Because just throwing around words like "reasonable" means nothing.

Why don't you prove that it's not a slave contract by posting it.

Lovely likes this.
  16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I do think this is a valid point. There is a lot of uncertainty right now and there is a great deal of vagueness to the current terms of what exactly QI will be. It would settle many readers' minds if you were more open with your current strategy, including what you are doing right now and what you are aiming for in the future.

17. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL hey friend... Asking for the contract whcih is really an abrupt request. Have you even seen any organization did that? Haha, anyway, lets move forward and see what's gonna happened~ Take a positive perspective.

18. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    "We aim to translate our stories into more than 10 languages in the future
    English、한국의、日本語、ไทย、tiếng việt…" - Quote from En.qidian
    I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the moon runes with the circles is Korean. So, Qidian has plans to move into the Korean market and this user is simply letting them know that they could do it through a local site.

Rige likes this.
  19. xXxPhilxXx

Reading List:
    Link
    so basically what you're gonna do is ignore all the points I brought up, brush it under a rug, and tell me to take a positive perspective.

I expected as much lol, you've been ignoring most negative statements thrown your way. Pretty cowardly, just saying. I can understand why you would do that. You're trying to attract more people to work for you so acknowledging any issues on your end would be detrimental for you. On the other hand, if the contract is indeed a slave contract, then these points that are being brought up are essential and need to seen. For that reason, I have no intention of moving on. I do not trust you.

Also while a full contract might be out of the question, providing facts would go a far way for you (or against you all considering).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    saekicchi and Lovely like this.
  20. Rige

Rige Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doubt it. Line taking up webnovels didn't effect manga translations. Honestly, line probably took a bigger hit than the fan translators. Dunno the numbers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.