Discussion About Snail Noodles and Avocado Toast

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoJo, Nov 15, 2021.

1. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever read something and go "Well that's going to age like milk" and I'm not talking cheese here.

I've been reading a lot of slice of life Chinese novels lately and that of course means lot's of cooking. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't snail noodles very trendy in China a while back? All I see lately is snail noodles in stories. It reminds me of the time when conservative news channels had some weird boomer fixation with "avocado toast" as some key word to all that's wrong with millennials cause I guess that was trendy to eat at the time?

I guess that's what I want to talk about, things in stories that date the time it was written in. Like how margarine is so 80's and frozen yogurt is so 90's Doesn't have to be food, just a general time sensitive thing. Another example was in a novel I read that, I kid you not, mentioned Taylor Swift. I get she's famous, but I really think mentioning real people in novel is going to date the story.

Baldingere likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never seen snail noodles but I thought avocado on toast was a thing in real life

also, what's wrong with frozen yogurt?!

MoJo likes this.
  3. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im asian but not chinese, i've had quite a few of snail dishes though not snail noodle, but more like grilled snail on a skewer. Texture is quite a bit like cockle but harder, it depends on each personal taste i guess

MoJo likes this.
  4. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't remember anything aside of technology stuff, like the different types of music and video recorders, Walkmans or cassettes (dunno how it's called in english, it's that rectangle thing you have sound on that you turn to the other side once half is told)

MoJo likes this.
  5. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that it's a THE trendy "health food" of the 90's. I remember every strip mall and town suddenly having a frozen yogurt shop as a kid in the 90's. It was supposed to be a low fat alternative to ice cream, but it still has lots of sugar so people eventually realized it wasn't "health food" and the trend settled down. It's great dessert, but it's still a dessert not god's gift to cheating your diet.

The avocado toast thing is real and also a trendy health food of the 2010's It's even on the menu of places like Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks (not available in some locations) The reason why conservatives seem to demonize it is 1) it's trendy with "kid's these days" 2)avocados are seen as an expensive food. So having it every day for breakfast instead of grandma's oatmeal which is pennies for a bowl is seen as the reason Millennials don't buy homes. It's not wage inequality, student debt or sky high housing cost, NO it's Millennials who don't know how to work hard and save money. Spending all their money indulging in expensive trendy foods.

Margarine was very trendy as a heath food in the 80's before people knew about trans fats most mom's refused to eat/buy butter as the margarine was supposed to be better for you. It's actually the opposite, but that's the same reason avocado toast is trending, avocado is supposed to be contain "good fats"

Baldingere and ongoingwhy like this.
  6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds like how some coin gluten free foods as healthy while in actual fact it is not since in certain gluten-free deserts, more fats and whatnot is added to maintain structural integrity of the food

7. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun fact archaeologists have found evidence of snail eating and later farming(raising?) as early as 30,000 years ago! Apparently snails are super easy to corral and raise and a good source of protein. Never eaten them myself, not sold in my market and I'm not brave enough to be eating random snails in my garden.

Ah yes unless it's a time travel novel nothing say dated quite like technology. Anything thing where the protagonist doesn't have a cell phone and rely on land lines really makes me wonder what year it's been written. Or the lack of internet. Unless it's set somewhere poor and/or very rural.

8. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss my pet snail.

MoJo likes this.