Discussion Abuse. Why?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BooklessBookworm, Aug 14, 2022.

1. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently tried jumping into the pit, just out of curiosity, and… why do people abuse themselves? I really just can’t seem to understand it. With revenge novels, you get a sense of satisfaction. Romance gives you a sense of fluff and giddiness at the sexual tension. Horror has a sense of thrill and mystery. Abuse… is just abuse… Maybe I’m being too quick to judge, after all, it’s only been 30 or so chapters. But… I feel so empty. There’s no giddiness at the romance, no curiosity towards the mystery, no happiness with face slapping, hell, even the papapa leaves room for improvement. It’s just… so empty. There’s nothing. I feel nothing, expect… maybe some pity? Maybe it’s because I try to dissociate myself from the novel to feel less sad, I dunno. Just curious, why do people read it?

2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Abuse themselves as in self-harm?

Oh wait, angst. For me, it's always a random thought to read tragedy or angst. Just a change of pace. What's interesting about it is how complex the situation or how stupid all the characters are. I usually get angry at them lol. Then, I'd be devoid of life and happiness at the end.

Eat_Angst likes this.
  3. YueLiin

YueLiin Kore

Reading List:
    Link
    If you put yourself in their shoes you feel sad and some ppl just wanna feel sad I guess ;u;

And if it's a HE the satisfaction is very nice

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be catharsis, curiosity, connection... who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eat_Angst likes this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    vanilla huh.png
    no idea wut cha talking about~ do you mean story where MC abuse by other during most of storyline be it physically, mentally or both?
    if yes the reason this cat read such story hmm deploy emotion perhaps? like cheap tv series~

6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    angst and tragedy stuff? i can only think that they're satisfying some hidden emotional masochism.

7. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I like cool characters, and MCs look very cool when they endure abuse. And mental breakdowns are interesting to read about. But I can't handle it when it's too hardcore and sad.

8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's to cry and experience some catharsis out of it. Still seems pointless to me, but who am I to judge?

9. Nah

Nah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? Because it hurts so good.

I love the feeling angst novel can offer. The pain make me heartache and tears make me headache. However, I never find myself hating it. Instead I'm craving it like an addict. I have a specific genre of angst, mostly romance where MC have the pain for loving someone yet all they get just wounds and scars. I don't like other angst like parents or siblings being a psychopath or betrayal from subordinates. I despise kinds of angst with the victim lack of backbone or saintly forgive everything. So, wife-chasing crematorium is my only beloved angst in genre. That kind where MC exhausted and decided to let go. After got hurt, I need the redemption. Its like 30% hurt and 70% redemption. It interest me more if MC didn't got back together with scum ML.

I prefer this genre because the pain from angst send chill to my bones. Sometimes it impact me exhaustingly that I can't move any muscles. I got hurt, but I fall in love to it. Am I a lowkey masochist? I don't know. Am I want to be in desperate life like those MCs? ABSOLUTELY not.

Edit: List of my all time favorite angst
    1. No One Saved Me
    (https://www.novelupdates.com/series/no-one-saved-me/)
    2. The Wood Has Become the Boat (https://m.shubaow.net/136/136728/)
    2. Love is too frustrating
    (https://www.novelupdates.com/series/love-is-too-frustrating/)
    3. How to Deal With Tsundere Gong
    (https://www.novelupdates.com/series/how-to-deal-with-a-tsundere-gong/)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  10. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people like the feeling of self-sacrifice as it's often been romanticized in media. Love needs to be fight more, needs to have angst to prove their love like in Romeo and Juliet. Their mind have been shaped by that idea which you can't blame them as that's how true love has been portrayed although often times it's such a selfish behavior that comes from the main character's insecurity and their need for validation. In contrary, real life love should be easy and a relationship won't fix anything if you yourself is broken, no one can fix you except yourself. It's such a unfathomable belief to wait for someone to come along and rescue you on the pit you made yourself.

I've seen summary that's so different from the actual novel, it'll make you think that mc had it rough because they were not loved in their relationship but then you read it and then realize that mc forced the ml to marry them despite knowing they love someone else and so the start of their abusive cycle. I feel no sympathy for them but just idiocracy.

It also doesn't help that most people who write web novels haven't been in a relationship same with the their readers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  11. Sellychi

Sellychi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmn abuse not really(?) but angst is an all time favorite of mine, and misunderstandings are a b*tch but they're part of the process.

My favorite type of angst is worry I suppose. Hurt/comfort genres when I used to read fanfiction lol. After realizing that I made a whole rec list for specifically the kind of hurt/comfort I adore. My reasons and example being in the description of it but I'll pluck my conclusion; that I wanted to read meaningful suffering.

[The Rec List] --> https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/51191/
    I lovingly leave a few words of my impressions on each novel I include.

As for misunderstandings idk its just that not understanding is the start of anything really and most of them are negative. People don't understand each other. Disagreements. Fights. Wars. etc. but again not only in big world situations, in daily life, like our relationships with those around us. How much of it did we really start thinking deeply about? Is my relationship with this person good? Can it be better? If it's not good then why is it bad? Was it supposed to be good? Are they important to us? Should I fix it or leave it? What is better for me or for them or for us? Main thing I learned from it was that communication is key. But human emotions are weird and rationality can be thrown out the window which makes taking that first step to initiate proper communication and explaining things difficult.

I feel like I don't understand people quite that much that's why I read in general. I'm trying to gather as much data so that I could better sympathize with the people around me when the time comes. Everything comes from something, then if not they must be mentally unstable but what caused that mental instability in the first place? Curious so curious. Cause and effect can tango in the most unexpected of ways. But yeah I also read as a form of escapism and I just want to enjoy any relationships; friendship, camaraderie, dependence, love, enmity, etc. be wrought up from the dust of despair or the blazing embers of suffering. We are social animals after all.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  12. 7456

7456 « Ready-to-melt »

Reading List:
    Link
    Angst. Sometimes I feel like I don't have any emotions, I just feel so numb. Novels with either really tragic or humorous plot just make me feel alive.

13. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    If my life is bad I want to read about people with worse lives so I can feel better, in the end they get a happy ending, then I will also become happy for them, if they don't get happy end, good for them! It's just a way of life anyway I hope this character will be happy in another life