Request Action novels with an inactive MC?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Walter vi Britannia, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any novel that's somewhat focused on action or adventure but the MC is quite inactive?

Its really hard for me to put it in words, but you know, if the MC was just there but his friends are the strong ones or his surroundings are what's moving things forward. Like if Sid from Ice Age was the main character, important character but totally useless.

Also, not like Altina where the MC is super weak but really smart. He's doing OP shit there, so it doesn't count.

Kinda like Trash of the Count's Family, but the MC is quite strong with his ancient powers and such. Like, if he had just let the story run by itself, that's what I'm talking about.

Kino no Tabi is a great example. She doesn't do much about things that are out of her power, whether something bad is going to happen or something good, she sometimes just lets it happen if she's not directly involved with it, even is she is devastated or disgusted, she's not always the center of it all wherever she goes, fixing every problem like generic MCs.

There is a novel I haven't read yet, Release that Witch, it might have something for me from what I've heard about it.

I Reincarnated as a Noble Girl Villainess But Why Did It Turn Out This Way? is kinda what I'm alright with too. Like, she's not the strongest or the smartest, she's young and her position is what forced her down this path. Her own subordinates are more talented than her and her achievements come from strategies provided by her peers. She is just trying lead them towards a better future. (But foreshadowing says that she might awaken to some dormant power or something, so this might go down the drain as well...I mean, my preference wise it might go down the drain...but the story is still good.)

Also like The Guild’s Cheat Receptionist but if the MC was not so overpowered. The MC here doesn't do anything or help with the battles, she watches over them and takes care of them...but its still an action novel because of how its written. But the MC is still so overpowered here. Maybe someone like her as the MC but not super strong. Just a normal person.

What I'm trying to say is, I want an action novel where the MC is not the center, where it doesn't feel like everything is revolving around them. Like, if the people surrounding the MC has to put a main character tag on someone and they didn't know any better, it would definitely not be the MC the author chose to follow. I also want an MC who is not always brooding over not being strong enough. Like, they're happy as they are, like that one useless friend in Big Hero 6...although he didn't turn out to be so useless cause the others built him a super suit.

Probably what would do would be a chill MC in a messed up world and he doesn't do shit about it, cause he can't do shit about it, and that doesn't matter cause others are doing shit about it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Sets up the tent* :blobReach:

PS: this is a JP school life novel, but Ordinary I and Extraordinary Them seems one with your passive MC type, at least till some 30 ch I've read.

3. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm maybe 'welcome to the party" on royalroad where the harem does the fighting
    same deal with "phantasmal party" on royalroad
    oh and master of monsters (this one's a JP novel and is on NU)
    none of these really fit with the MC not being the center however, as they're all the "party lead"

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I also should've mentioned I don't like harem either.

Anyway, thanks but I don't think this is what I was looking for. Being a leader is actually quite something, I wanted quite a bit of nothing from the MC though.

5. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    ...doesn't really sound like an action novel to me.

Also, it seems the "ordinary" MC suddenly had the whole focus of the school or something.

6. Ataraxic_L1FE

Ataraxic_L1FE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was gonna recommend the lazy King , since he doesn't offer much dialogue nor actions , but every single side character holds him in much importance.

But since he's strong and op , I don't think this'll fit .

7. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, sounds like it wouldn't.

Well, don't worry about it. I'm not really desperately looking for something to read. I was just wondering if there was a novel like this out there cause I wouldn't mind reading something like that.

8. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    God-slaying hero of the seven covenants

9. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? Doesn't sound like it...?

Can you explain a bit?

10. xtremeloldude

Reading List:
    Link
    how about a bit of a twist on this then with " 10 nen goshi no HikiNiito o Yamete Gaishutsushitara Jitaku goto Isekai ni Ten’ishiteta "
    mc does absolutely 0 from his own accord and his companions are much better at fighting than he is (however he is somewhat strong in his own right but doesn't actually fight much at al)

11. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    He's OP but Unless certain conditions are met he is really weak so he usually lazing about

12. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    So that means he becomes some sort of hero by meeting those conditions at the right time, right? I wanted ones where other people solve the problems, not the MC, or the problems don't get solved at all. Laziness in MC is not rare, but and MC not being an important character to progress the story is.

13. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC sounds like a pushover from the reviews.

...but I guess I was basically asking for it? lol

Well, I was actually hoping for a more chill dude who just lets things happen, not that he even tries to make a change.
    I don't want him to be such a loser, just very laid back or not giving a shit...or maybe just be around not trying to get mixed up in such. But I don't want a loser MC.

14. xtremeloldude

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi then

15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting enough. I'll give it a try, but it doesn't sound like an action novel.

16. xtremeloldude

Reading List:
    Link
    yea i kinda forgot about how you said action while searching for an MC that doesn't really do much. it's more casual adventure where the enemies die immediately because of the pets, my bad

17. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it doesn't have any action, and like you said an passive guy got focused on by others is how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.