Recommendations Actually Good Modern Special Abilities Novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SayMrrp, Sep 8, 2020.

1. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Please recommend novels that include:
    • Modern or urban setting (preferably like our world, but okay if not!)
    • Special Abilities/Superpowers or Cultivation (MC only or entire world, both are fine!)
    • Actually good quality (for example: GOOD harems (no bad ones), GOOD faceslapping, people with actual brains, no random rape (need a LEGIT reason), no really racist MCs)
    I don't care if it's BL, GL, or a harem. Just as long as the novel is good! I prefer NU novels, okay with RoyalRoad/ScribbleHub, but I'm technically fine with everything as long as the novel is really good and what I asked for! Oh, and a description/reason why would be nice, but you don't have to!

Tl;dr: Exactly what the title says. Give me a good urban/modern superpower/special ability novel.

Thank you very much! Let's see if they actually exist, lmao.

It would be nice if you checked my reading lists for your novel(s) before you recommend it/them, but I won't force you!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    aShinyVaporeon and SayMrrp like this.
  3. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I absolutely love that novel! Which means I've already read it. Not exactly what I meant by modern, but thanks though!

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  4. Dhananjay

Dhananjay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will add points to all things

Inaira and SayMrrp like this.
  5. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Fuzed

Fuzed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there, how're you doing?

I'm writing a novel about a world where assassination is legal. The assassins have some unique abilities that will be explored throughout the story.

Here's a link if you'd be interested:

Occidendum.

Thank you and if you like it, please consider subscribing and liking the episodes as it really helps! Have a good one!

SayMrrp likes this.
  7. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Supernatural Movie Actor App? Not sure if it technically counts as a superpower, although it should still fall in line with special abilities. Also The Trial Game of Life, although translations are only at beginning. You can also try Yu Wo’s Kill no More or GOD, if you haven’t read those already.

Of course, Yu Brothers’ Case Book would match your requirements too, but I know that’s already on your to-read list haha.

SayMrrp likes this.
  8. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "people with actual brains"... uh, wish there was a tag for well written antagonists

FajarRJ, Sea Dog and SayMrrp like this.
  9. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting! I was going for NU novels specifically, but I guess I'm fine if the novel's really good! I read the summary, and it seems interesting! Bookmarked! Thank you for the suggestion.

10. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao, I've been seeing you go around and recommending your novel. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of politics (tagged) or assassinations. I'll think about reading it though!

11. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    RIP our brains. We'll just melt from all the cringy and flat antagonists.

12. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this have constant face slapping + pokemon like harem members (and maybe abundant racism)? Cos that’s usually novels like these have...

SayMrrp likes this.
  13. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the suggestions! I've already bookmarked Supernatural Movie Actor App (waiting for more chapters before starting), but I'm glad to see that you recommend it! Oh, and I've already bookmarked The Trial Game of Life too (same as above). I'm anticipating reading them now though!

Yup, haha. I'm waiting for a good time to read Yu Brothers!

As for the Yu Wo works you've recommended, I think I tried reading Kill no More years ago, but didn't like it. It didn't feel as good as her other works? And I haven't read GOD yet because the ratings and reviews don't make it sound great. If possible, could you give me some reasons why you think they're good?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  14. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already bookmarked it! I'm waiting for more people to read and review. If possible, could you give me some details on why you think it's good?

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  15. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I created this thread because I want to avoid those things lmaoooo To be honest, I don't mind faceslapping+harem as long as it's good... but in this type of novel... usually it's terrible. I just want to read a goooood one....

I forgot about abundant racism! I'll add that to the first post! Thanks!

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  16. mlongue

mlongue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well since you have enjoyed Lord of the Mysteries try out Martial Arts Master it's from the same author, recommend all of his novels, and in this novel people learn martial arts like in the name, it is a modern seeting with people sendinf flaming punchs.

SayMrrp likes this.
  17. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I think I tried reading it a long time ago, but dropped it because it felt boring (if it wasn't this novel, then sorry for the diss). But, since you've brought it to my attention, I'll re-add it to my to-read list and consider it again! Thank you for the suggestion!

mlongue likes this.
  18. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moon's Labyrinth
    Isaac
    Kill the Dragon
    Secret Organization
    My House of Horrors
    Zombie Knight Saga on RoyalRoad (haven't read it yet but it seems to be pretty good)
    Super Minion on RoyalRoad

aShinyVaporeon and SayMrrp like this.
  19. Fuzed

Fuzed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the politics tag means that there are some legal things going on and some political scheming. (After all, assassination is legal so there will be some stuff revolving around politics.) But it's not prominent and you will never find me talking about the current geopolitical situation or anything... Just a heads up. ;)

And yeah, I've been trying to spread the word :D

SayMrrp likes this.
  20. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already bookmarked Moon's Labyrinth and Isaac, but I'm hesitant to read them because the reviews are conflicting. I'll think about it more since you've recommended them!
    Already bookmarked Kill the Dragon, but I'm excited to read it! Thanks for reminding me!
    I googled, but I couldn't find a novel called Secret Organization. Could I have a link?
    I don't plan on reading My House of Horrors because I'm scared, but yup! That's pretty much what I asked for, so thanks anyways!
    Ooh, I'll add Zombie Knight Saga and Super Minion to my list! They're looking good! Thank you for all the recs!