Recommendations Actually Smart MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Centennial, May 22, 2019.

1. Centennial

Centennial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been trying to find novels that have an mc that is actually smart and makes intelligent decisions that make sense, for example the mc in RMJI. I just can't read any books that have mc's that are supposed to be smart but end up actually just are insanely stupid and get saved by plot armor the entire time. Any kind of book is fine, but I prefer books with cultivation. Thanks.

2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  4. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew it was coming so I wanted to be the first to say it, you know like what happens in comments, like that First! comment :blob_grin:

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Ksiti

Ksiti Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forty millenium of Cultivation. Best novel I have read so far.

Centennial and boilhats like this.
  7. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World - You want to see an MC severely injure two op rank 8s(rank 9 is the max level) with the goodwill of a few girls and a fucking tree? The most villainous betrayal that you will cackle evilly afterwards? This is the novel for you
    City of Sin - keep in mind that the MC's entire bloodline is filled with lunatics/psychopaths so don't expect sane decisions all the time. Also, book 1 was boring but ot gets good afterwards
    Dungeon Defense - do you want a batshit insane MC that is insanely smart? A psycho loli playing a piano beside a mountain of decapitated heads? Read this
    Isaac - minus the blatant rascist prologue, this is a great novel

Centennial likes this.
  8. All mighty Asian

All mighty Asian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. boilhats

boilhats Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Spirit Sword Mountain. MC's main "weapons" are his defense, his intelligence, and his shamelessness. Not certain how much you would consider his intelligence to be plot armour, but it doesn't read like that to me.

The MC of Mother of Learning. Highly intelligent, while remaining a teenager in all practical senses at the start of the series. If you haven't read it yet, give it a try.

You have to pay for this one, but the MC of the Arcane Ascension series, which starts with the book Sufficiently Advanced Magic, is intelligent. It's one of the two series that are being used to try to promote a new sub-genre on Reddit that's being called Progression Fantasy. If you don't find it here, maybe the list of Progression Fantasy on Reddit will help you find what you're looking for.

Centennial likes this.
  11. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a psycho doesn't make you smart.
    The same with pointless slaughter that is why I disqualify ISSTH and Warlock of Magus World.
    A smart MC only kills if he can hide his tracks.
    Killing doesn't make you smart but manipulating others especially your enemies to work for you is smart.
    That is why Reverend Insanity is probably the only novel on here in terms of Chinese that qualifies.
    I doubt any Japanese qualifies because of this trope : Cannot say no to girls.
    Pretty annoying, even if it leads to disastrous consequences but since it's " great comedy" it is fine.
    Just like how Sakura keeps punching Naruto when he is strong enough to dodge or block her.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  14. Wosefiz

Wosefiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich - saving the world by scamming
    The Legend of Sun Knight -- completed and quite short.
    Spirit Sword Mountain. - 2nd this, though I just read the manhua

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! - a despicable weakling that won through underhanded tactics; nothing is too low for him.
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending - yes, he is a cheat character, but he moved people around like pawns.
    generally agree with wujigege - it's tough to find intelligent mc in japanese wn/ln - though i have different reasoning.

basically there are 3 ways to present smart mc:
    - shows that the mc is smart --> this requires a smart author
    - turns the other inhabitants into idiots/vegetables, making the mc smart in comparison -- typical japanese trope: crop rotation, potato, mayo, etc.
    - tell, don't show --> praising mc's smartness, without elaboration. The Silly Alchemist employs this technique. it doesn't fit your criteria, but still decent for laugh. another excellent example is Hibiki - Shousetsuka ni Naru Houhou; the way other characters praise her works don't feel forced (to me).

The Amber Sword - mtl'ed to the end. -- won't recommend this though. some said that WolfieTranslation made it better than the original.
    a decent read, but if your primary goal is smart mc, search elsewhere.

16. yexiu

yexiu Daoist No-life

Reading List:
    Link
  17. RANTMAN

RANTMAN PRESENTATION!

Reading List:
    Link