Feature Request Adding author option to series finder filters

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by FlowingTime, Jan 15, 2021.

1. FlowingTime

FlowingTime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have this habit... When i finish a novel... Depending on how much i liked it... I'd read the rest of the things the author wrote... Some of them i like and some I don't... And so that i don't lose progress I'd add the rest of the author's material to my "new" list... And I'd read them depending on synopsis and mood... At some point i lost count of how many authors i had and that didn't bother me then.

One day, i found this new novel that had recently started to be translated and really liked it... When i went to the author... I found out that it already belonged to an author I'd had already saved some if their media... Some... Because there were other books I'd missed because they were newly updated.

It suddenly hit me that the same as that the novels that im already following is being updated... There are newer things being updated too... I didn't want so miss out on some of my favorite authors' stuff just because i wasn't following the update flow... And re-going through each author takes too much effort.

I'm asking for a new option in the series finder filter...
    Right next to the "Reading List" filter... It'll function the same as the "Reading List" filter... Instead of including the novels in the list... It'll include the authors in the list... Or their novels to be precise... I'd just exclude all from the "Reading List" filter... Making it easy to steadily be up to date with anything new a certain author's material has been translated.

This is my request... I'd be nice to be included... I'd be thankful if you'd consider it.

2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    The main problem I see here is that authors have several entries on NU. There is no author's page like on MangaUpdates that lists all their novels, aliases, etc. There is just a list (search results) of their novels based on the alias you choose.
    For example, https://www.novelupdates.com/series/warlock-of-the-magus-world/ from your list. Has 3 author entries.
    What you're suggesting would basically list his novels three times. Of course, it could be set up to remove duplicates, etc., but that's additional resources bothering the server already.
    The whole idea of going into every single title on your list, one by one and check their author to list their novels would be very heavy on NU's resources.

I'd much rather go with previous ideas to create full fledged author pages and allow "follow author" instead.

Still, either of these options would be a huge change to NU's structure, for just a little gain. I wouldn't hold my breath.

~~
    Why don't you make a Recommendation List with a single novel for each author you wanna follow and periodically go in, click their name and see if any new titles showed up?
    While there is no built-in filter for novels on your reading list there (other than the on-hover "add to list" / [name of the list that has the novel]), you can use this uBlockOrigin filter to hide novels that are already on your reading list:
    Code:
    ##.breadcrumb_nu>#Breadcrumb_Top>dl>dd:nth-child(2)>a[href*="list-authors"]:upward(5)>.search_main_box_nu:not(:has(>.search_img_nu>.img_addtolist>.addtoread>span>.fa.fa-plus))
    upload_2021-1-15_12-47-12.png
    Code:
    novelupdates.com##.breadcrumb_nu>#Breadcrumb_Top>dl>dd:nth-child(2)>a[href*="list-authors"]:upward(5)>.search_main_box_nu:not(:has(>.search_img_nu>.img_addtolist>.addtoread>span>.fa.fa-plus))
    Just have in mind it'll always hide novels on your reading list, when you click on any author's name. Disabled by adding an exclamation mark before the filter in uBO's "My filters".
    Or if you just wanna temporarily preview without disabling the filter - by clicking the "eye" icon in uBO's popup.
    upload_2021-1-15_12-43-59.png

3. FlowingTime

FlowingTime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok... Thanks... That's fine...
    A few hours after writing that post.. it suddenly struck me that the option i was looking for was basically the subscription button for youtube creators... And then it kinda bothered me that only after writing such a long passage that i thought about this :facepalm:

4. freemen muaddib

freemen muaddib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree wholeheartedly!
    Author info page should contain:
    1. Author original language name
    2. Author translitterated name
    3. Author anglicized name
    4. Author nicknames
    5. Author photo
    6. Author bio
    7. Author Bibliography (in chronological order)
    8. Author official twitter account
    9. Option to FOLLOW (like subscription for youtube)
    10. Option to LIKE
    11. Option to ADD TO FAVOURITES AUTHORS list (similar to reading lists, but for authors instead of novels)
    12. Option to list all suggestion lists that include works by this author