LCD Advent of the Archmage (formerly known as "Descent of the God of Magic")

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by userunfriendly, Jan 24, 2018.

1. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite authors include Larry Niven, Asimov, Benford, Sheffield, Forward...

All "hard" science fiction authors. :p

In case any of you are unfamiliar, "hard" science fiction is science fiction where the plot line involves science...to a very great extent.

you have to have a good grounding in physics to read Larry Niven...:p

Wujigege likes this.
  2. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    And now, a demon from our sponsor...

3. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't really mean to insult anyone here if they don't feel this way but I think the I your father meaning is quite clear as long as you have a basic understand how to find sentence context. I can't think of a culture in the world that doesn't believe in respecting your parents. Now if you were going to argue the difference between eastern and western culture you need to go into the difference between individualism and collectivism. Now I'm not going to go into big detail on this or try to use any other big words to make myself look smart but main difference is the size of your responsibility. To make it easier Western culture still teaches to respect one's father/mother but it is your own family and yourself that is important. It is still publicly appropriate to aid others', mainly elders, in public but the degree to that help is limited(also decreasing in recent generations). For the east the responsibility is expanded a great deal to the rest of your extended family and to any other group/organization/collective the individual belongs too.

Back to Wujigege's comment; the joke we get it but the problem is the overuse of the joke. Imagine you and your friends go out to hang out one night and one of them repeatedly says "that's what she said!" The first couple of times you will laugh and enjoy it but after a while it will grow stale and joy will be sucked out from the joke. That's what occurs in most of these novels. They repeatedly use the same mainstream joke over and over again that it was lost its comedic enjoyment. I will admit sometimes there are other jokes in the novels and I do enjoy reading the translators trying to explain it to the readers but that usually occurs in KR novels with wordplay jokes.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I know from good authority that " your grandma" is a more crueler joke. I think I blocked the dude, so I don't see his posts. I wonder if "your grandma" has been used in any translated novel.
    I am also well aware that translators can take liberties and over localize just as you see in anime dubs

5. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    except it's not a joke...addressing one's self as your father,or "laoniang" is a way of speaking of most chinese people and it is not a joke nor is it used in an offensive way. it is just used to show your superiority.

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said it was a joke.
    And it is offensive especially, when it is used by someone of the younger generation talking to someone of the older generation.
    https://forum.wuxiaworld.com/discussion/665/i-your-father

Thesis no jutsu strikes again.
    @userunfriendly you must be enjoying yourself :facepalm:

userunfriendly likes this.
  7. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    A joke is a thing someone says/does with the intention of making people laugh. It's a joke not because the character in the novel thinks it is but because the author wrote it in the novel to create humor.

A bunch of chinese friends are messing around with each other and one says to the other "I, your father." Is that a joke or an insult? Among friends it would be a joke. Now take away the friends part and just make it strangers and it would be an insult. Just saying this useless sentence to show that settings change what something means. In the novel it is an insult but for the reader its face-slapping humor.

userunfriendly and Wujigege like this.
  8. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
  9. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh oh...big bad demon escaped! Time for an epic magic battle...:p

10. webreader

webreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    isnt this the flaw of all these stories? once their attacks can destroy large areas everytime they fight? whats the point of cannon fodder?

they be launching nukes and you shooting them with bb's?

11. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone know why there is Tragedy tag?

12. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't this true for all fantasy novels? As the MC gets stronger, to maintain literary tension, the author has to make the enemies tougher..or the author might as well go write a slice-of-life story.

I think it's actually undeserved...after reading up to 500 chapters in lnmtl.

13. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm quite liking Vance's character so far.

14. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, he's a bit sociopathic, but decent to his friends...:p. Reminds me a bit of Leylin.

15. EricBannen

EricBannen √[To Read or Not to Read]

Reading List:
    Link
    All the characters are fleshed out very well... Except for Links unusually thick head when it comes to interactions, everything else is marvellously written

16. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeppers..one of the things I like the most...

Interestingly enough, Celine hasn't been written well...despite her taking a main supporting character from now on..

17. EricBannen

EricBannen √[To Read or Not to Read]

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like you rushed ahead with the RAWS... I can only say "you must have had it raw reading it (pun intended :p ;)) "
    Btw Celine has been real quiet and her interactions are as little as Lucy... For now she is still a minor character... I just pity Link who had multiple chances to be a 'man' , atleast in front of Herrera (Angel of Light) ... His dense head is similar to Jap MCs :/

18. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Raws really BAD with this...

Upcoming will feature more Celine...my fav character. :p :)

Edit: (spoiler for greedy kids...:p)

Besides, Celine becomes Link's official girlfriend soon. :p

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    EricBannen likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to make sure you were the thesis no jutsu lover.
    The fight against Tarvis was anti climatic. He knows magic and the best construct he could come up with was a punch.
    Not even a shrinking cage. The author is so unimaginative.
    I am getting worried. I am reading this for the kingdom building but I foresee disappointment. Author might just time skip the entire development of Ferde. We never saw how they curbed the bandits

20. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't be trusted for reporting exciting fights coming up soon. Raws are particularly bad.

What is thesis no Jutsu?

Kingdom building is...well...

he completes a quest, and gets a sword! The sword had a spirit... that caused all the crap weather

There are a lot of quests...and sometimes you have to go WTF to the authors plots...but I've yet to see a reason to stop loving this.

Yep, I'm curiously loyal to authors...unless they pull utter sh!t moves like Emperor of a Solo Play, or they just get annoyingly bland like Monster who levels up...:p

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.