Discussion Advice? College and Career Worries

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cosmic_, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'll soon be entering college and wanted to share some of my worries for advice from those on NUF that have gone through the whole experience. I'm a first-generation Chinese American and will also be a first-generation in my family to actually graduate high-school and get into college. This means that there's not a lot of help and answers or advice when it comes to college and career things as well as me having to do most of the work myself.

I'm thinking of going into one of the sciences of either physics or chemistry to pursue engineering or research. Still, I'm not quite fully sure what I'll be doing with my life.

So my main worry is on majors. I'm thinking of majoring in Physics but I've heard a lot of things like how majoring in "Physics" specifically isn't as "secure" as if I'd pick the "more specialized/focused" majors of "Mechanical or Chemical Engineering." There's also a lot of things like how classes are typically small and falling behind is very dangerous compared to others when it comes to the Physics major.

I'm also confused on how majors work as well like a person wanting to be a chemical engineer having the major of "Chemistry" vs "Chemical Engineering". Is it scope or is it like course selection/department. Like could I not be understanding majors vs department. Meaning it's actually Major in _Chemical Engineering_ but happen to be in the Chemistry Department.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    yuzuki and AMissingLinguist like this.
  2. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    My credentials: I'm a first generation student, too(though I'm still in college).

Advice for First Generation College: If you're a "first generation college student" in your family, then I advise you to enroll in a special program that helps first time college students. If you can't enroll, don't fit the requirements, or there isn't one, then the next best thing to do is check the classes for your degree. Also apply for financial aid if possible.

Advice for graduating: Go to class. Meet with advisor. Check e-mails(e-mails feel outdated to me, but it's official stuff). Go to at least one workshop that deals with finance, time management, and resume writing. If it's not possible, then check WikiHow and Google for when you have time.

Good luck in college. I'm not an expert on physics degrees so you'll have to ask someone else.

Skallagrim and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. Magicwafflez

Magicwafflez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand, all of the engineering degrees are like the normal degrees but are actually hellish tribulations that try to weed out the unworthy.

That said, really, degrees are fancy pieces of paper with words on them. Blahblah engineering sounds better to some random HR person looking at resumes, so it's said to be more marketable. What's less marketable is a 2.0 to 3.0 which is what engineering teachers are hell bent on dishing out.

After you get your job, no one cares anymore. I double majored math/computer science and got hired with someone with a masters in computer engineering. You pass the technical interview and no one cares about what the degree is. So~

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Skallagrim

Skallagrim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all I am not from America but from Germany so my advice is quite limited. Studying at the moment in a University of Applied Sciences the course mechatronics.

In my opinion studying "plain" Physics or Chemistry is going to limit your career choices as the only real thing you can do with them is teaching or researching. For researching to earn a lot you would need to do your PhD. So I think your choices and possibilities in engineering is much better. Though that also depends on where you live and where you would want to work later on.

One of the most important things is sill the fun factor. Anything that you have fun studying is gonna help you as it is much easier to study something you like. Still do not underestimate any course as that is the beginning of doom as no study is easy and need a lot of work and time and not just partying ^^.

Go to classes and do your assignments right away. Do not push them to the last moment before deadline to finish them. Do study during the semester and not just before the exams. Some practical experience in your semester holidays looks good on your resume and can earn you some money.

Maybe look into studying abroad.

Cosmic_ and AMissingLinguist like this.
  5. Knilthas

Knilthas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. getting admitted, transcripts extracurriculars, essays showing ur motivation. Right school ? not too far or too close to mommy n daddy ? Campus, off campus housing? blah blah blah
    2. Actually studying in college, whether you ll be studying physics, chemestry, or x engineering, you d have a shit tons of maths that ll go with it. Gl with that.
    3. Skillsets aquired in college: you wont learn how to do jack shit with a bachelor degree, that s the sad truth, you ll know a lil about everthing but won t be able to offer anything concrete to an employer.
    to rectify that experience in research, internships or lab works (if ur inna decent college) helps alot.
    Xengineering trumps X at every turns, because engeneering majors usually have a more sought after skillset, and are higher in demand due to their rarity.
    If ur looking for a decent career dont decide on which bachelor degree you want but a masters/doctorate in what, then plan out which bachelor degree you ll ought to get first.
    University is expensive AF in america i d advise u to study somewhere in europe where they hand out degrees with english classes.

(sources: Liberal arts degree in Bioengineering and business adminatration, 1 year of biocellular sciences in france, and am actually getting a bachelo4 degree in chinese rofl ;)

Cosmic_ and AMissingLinguist like this.
  6. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am actually a Physic Professor at a University.

The decision between Physics (or any pure science major) and Engineering is the one about what you want to get out of it. If you just want to go to school, get a degree, and then get a job doing what your degree is then I recommend going the engineering route. If you are more interested in the process or problem solving (where is there is plenty in engineering but I am talking more about solving much longer term problems) and more interest in possibly continuing your education, then lean more towards the Physics major. The main problem with a Physics bachelor's degree is figuring out how to leverage it to get yourself the job you see yourself in. Many times, engineers have science degrees rather than an actual engineering degree and vice versa (it is all about what you know or have done rather than what the degree states but you need to have the actual degree).

In terms of school work, both Physics and Engineering have some of the heaviest loads amount all the majors. Both majors also have to take courses that are generally not easy and students (even very good students) will have a hard time getting a decent grade. Personally, I was able to graduate with a Physics and Mathematics degree in 4 years while working full time off campus, but i really don't see that as a possibility for the majority of students (a lot of my knowledge came from older members from family with advanced educations and having a public schools system that focused on academics, especially AP and Duel Enrollment). Regardless, the amount of time you will be putting into class will be close to 40-80 hours per week (average probably 60 with some in the 100 hours near exam time).

Now in terms of support, I would highly recommend going with a Physics major unless your college was much different than mine. In an engineering program, you are just a number to the faculty and one that is trying to gain admittance to your professional school that is highly competitive. For those reasons, engineering programs are more of "throw you into the deep end of a pool and see if you learn to be an Olympic swimmer". This is a harsh generality about engineering programs but in general, you will be one of maybe 4-5 students per faculty (probably more like 10 to 1 at bigger universities), which means you really need to stand out to get the best opportunities. Meanwhile, Physics programs are always looking for students and generally have a 1- 2 to 1 ratio with actual Physics majors to faculty. This allows much more one on one attention which is what most first generation students really need. The smaller number of majors also means you will get to know everyone in your department well and hopeful gain good relationships (those are very possible in engineering course but it is a numbers issue). Also, as a physics major, I was basically forced to work for the college in their tutoring center and laboratories at a rate much higher than minimum wage (compared to many of the other jobs on campus). Due to the number of engineering students, those types of jobs are few and far between so you will more than likely need to get a job elsewhere to support yourself.

My biggest advice will be for you to make sure and get as many research and internship opportunities as possible, The physics route will have you focus more on doing research for a Professor (some of which pay for your schooling + more), or a summer REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) which will mostly pay you (but depends on the specific program). For engineers, getting an interneship for a company or just work for a company from an entry level will generally help you later one (and might possibly get you a job). Also, any time you could present at a conference or publish a research paper do it. It will pay for itself later many times over, especially if you decide you need to go on for graduate school.

7. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Chinese-American and in the US. I can answer any questions about biomedical research or premed, and a little towards computer science.

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is whether you're planning on pursuing graduate school (or any kind of further education, such as med school, law school, business school, etc.). If you are planning on pursuing graduate school, your undergraduate major matters much less. So long as your fulfill your pre-requisites, it is generally okay to major in whatever you want. For example, I know a lot of medical students who did stuff like major in Spanish/music/philosophy/whatever while fulfilling all the pre-med classes. Check with your university's advising department (most universities will have some kind of pre-whatever advising department).

If say, your goal is to do chemistry research as a career (which basically requires a PhD), you don't necessarily have to major in chemistry in undergrad. It may even be preferable to major in something that is closely related, but slightly different from what you plan to get your graduate degree in. The reason for this is that research is increasingly multidisciplinary these days, and unique skills that you collect in undergrad will make you a better researcher in graduate school. Personally, I think it is a waste to do a biology undergrad and then go on to do a biology PhD. There's actually a bit of an overlap in curriculum as well. You will be a better well-rounded scientist if you major in undergrad in something slightly different, for example:
    • Statistics major (undergrad) > Biology PhD (grad)
    • Physics major (undergrad) > Chemistry PhD (grad)
    • Computer science major (undergrad) > Epidemiology PhD
    • Economics major (undergrad) > Public Health masters
    See what I mean?

If you're going to graduate school (or any kind of further education), the major on your diploma doesn't really mean much. The important thing is the skills that you pick up and what you learn in undergrad. If you are at a traditional US university, one of the strengths of a somewhat liberal arts education is that you have some more freedom to learn what you want and take what classes you want. The further you get in your life (e.g. if you choose to get a PhD, or go to law school), you gradually get busier and busier, and you no longer have the time to go back and learn things you didn't bother to learn the first time.

I'm on a biomedical research track, and I regret not taking more statistics and math in undergrad, because I simply don't have the time to take those classes now. I am extremely glad I minored in computer science, because this gives me an edge up over my peers.

In short, pick your major based on what you think you want to learn or give you skills/knowledge that will help you in the future. I can tell you that once you graduate from university, you probably will never get an opportunity to take a class like.... I dunno... econometrics or differential equations. You don't got time for that kind of stuff when you're in graduate school.

------------------------

^Section break^

Now, if you're not planning on going to graduate school, forget about EVERYTHING I just said above.

------------------------

If you're planning on finding a job straight out of college, your major matters a bit more.

This is because any potential employers will primarily be looking at your undergraduate major and GPA when they are considering whether to hire you.

Therefore, if for example you want to get a tech job, don't be silly. Get a computer science major (or computer engineering, whatever). Don't get a History major or you're going to be unemployed for the next 10 years. You need to package yourself so you can get that first job. The first job is probably the most important, because that's when your undergraduate credentials matter the most. After the first job, future jobs care more about what you did at your previous job.

In today's job market, getting a first job is really hard without having connections.

Do yourself a favor and apply for internships early.

This means for your sophomore summer (yes, indeed that early), apply for internships at companies that you think you might want to work at. Work really hard at those internships, and when you're done with them, you can ask what it would take to get into the company as a full-time job once you graduate from university. This is how you get connections.

In fact, I would probably say close to 80% of all the computer science majors at my university already had their post-graduation jobs all set before they even started senior year. Your sophomore summer, and your junior summer, you should be busy working hard! Don't slack off because internships are the easiest way to get a job once you graduate.

Applying for jobs cold without connections is really hard, and you don't want to put yourself through that, right?

Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    orematcha, Wol0f, Tramsloof and 2 others like this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    When you take a major, it consists of multiple classes. Think of it like a bundle of channels from your cable company. Some majors can share classes and the like but also have some classes differ from other that specialize more for your major. That is all it really is.

No two colleges have the same classes or material even if it is the same degree because there is no such thing as standardization for these things. Of course once you go for a career, there will be certification exams which are more standardized.

To major in something you just need enough credits and credits in certain things. Departments is where the class you take belongs to.

For example, to get engineering you might take an architecture class that belongs in the Architecture department, but the class is necessary for your Electrical Engineering Major. And while architecture major students will move on to second or 3rd level of the class, you as an electrical engineer will only cover the basic levels.

Majoring in stuff also has specializations. Going for chemistry vs chemical engineering will have a lot of classes the same, but as you go on you will find your classes split up by your specialization. In same way a poet and a book writer both would take english classes, but as they go one would take poetry classes while other one would take book writing classes.

As for what you should take, it doesn't matter too much really. Take whatever you like the most and confident you get better grades in if you don't know which to take. The fundamentals of college is mostly to teach you the basics while learning to socialize and work with others. Most colleges are decades behind modern knowledge. So you will need to do a lot of learning after college as well. That said I'm not saying ignore what college teaches you, because those basic fundamentals are important.

Cosmic_ likes this.