Advice for Beginner Writer

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by jossy48, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jossy48

jossy48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For those of you who write, whether it is fiction novels or stories. What is your process? I am trying to begin writing myself, but have been having difficulty actually starting. Any advice, suggestions? Even books that may be helpful as a source or something are welcomed. Thanks.

2. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an Idea. I wrote it down.
    Then I make a short summary of the Key Points that are going to happen.
    Then I start writing my First few hundred words, change a few Things, but dont edit thoroughly, write my First few thousand words and then brutally edit it until it is of a decent quality
    Then I edit the Key Points some more and make a finde Plan for the next Couple chapters. I also add some subplots or Change some things.
    You get my Drift. Just have a Basic skeleton and start fleshing it out

PS: autocorrect dicke hard

ElefantVerd likes this.
  3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    I think one of the most important parts to begin writing is to make compelling characters and throw them into any situation. It could be a war, a sudden development of superpowers, a broken antique, etc. The characters all have to act according to their beliefs as well. You should give them one or two primary motives to act as well as a general disposition.

Once you've gotten a start on the characters, you can just let the situation develop according to how the characters would normally act. There can also be outside plot elements, but you don't want to add too many. Really, the antagonist of your story(whether it be another character, society, etc.) needs to be pretty clear from early on. You want your reader guessing at what will happen next, not if something will happen next.

A lot of this comes from Stephen King's book On Writing, so if you need more help than I can give, then check it out for some good writing advice.

Fulminata, jossy48 and DiabolicGod like this.
  4. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    my only advice: don't ask random people for their opinion and let it determine what you do or how you do it.

a rough google search will find you a lot of the most appropriate sources of advice from those who publish to those who edit, rather than just people who write for self-satisfaction.

if you really have no clue; just decide roughly what the story needs to tell, decide how it will start and end and figure out what route you want to take along the way, write it and get people to proof read it for feedback.

1 writing style is to be focused on the scenery and detailed descriptions of setting (for example adventure stories like gullivers travels), another is to focus very little on the scenery and more on the characters interactions. you can choose to include or avoid any internal monologues, and pick the PoV to be anything from narrators 3rd person, main characters 1st person or a custom blend in between.

everything is personal preference and none of us can help you make those choices.

5. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do a little every day. And if you can’t write, draw. It doesn’t need to be good just do it. Before long you’ll have improved by leaps and bounds. The drawing helps with writers block, don’t ask me why, but it works.

jossy48 likes this.
  6. Antonyn

Antonyn New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say I do well, but there's this book called The the 3 am epiphany, and it provides a lot of writing exercises that you can use to start you up.
    Say when you're having a mental block, pick a random assignment to allow yourself to think of something else before going back.

My process tends to be to create rules for a world, and to write that down first. A generalized story structure from beginning to end.
    Then I roll a character. You can use any system you like, such as D&D, or any D20 system out there to create a base. Then set up your quirks and will that all down as a character model.
    Do that for your important cast.

After which, everything else is the process and finding ways to get from start to finish, but allow yourself flexibility along the way, to the point of throwing out your planned ending.

jossy48 likes this.
  7. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    and cue the argument of people claiming writers block is real versus those who claim its fictional. while drawing may have worked to get you writing more, does it actually make your writing better? or just put you in a better mindset to write.

the drawing helps with your writers block, not writers block period.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write. Read. Repeat.

Silver Snake and jossy48 like this.
  9. jossy48

jossy48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Thanks!! Much appreciated and real. How do you edit though? does it take you a long time? Do you ask someone to edit it for you, is there a group that helps with that, etc?

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Fail fail as much as possible. It doesnt make you a failure

Chronopolize and jossy48 like this.
  11. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    To make it easier for you:
    Once you've written a chapter worth, read it a few times and the key points and some extras will stand out or might be a gap that needs some changes or extras.

Found this after looking through a bit, might help you. some basics to know!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    jossy48 likes this.
  12. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn early to practice intuitive writing by freestyling. Start writing the first thought that comes to you and roll with it. It's not meant to be a story for release, just practice; especially if you've got a lot of stuff on your mind and have a hard time focusing. When you feel you're ready, write a chapter, read it, and rewrite it till you're happy with the content, then continue on.

jossy48 likes this.
  13. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    In general, i write what i like.

In slightly more specific, i dont really plan out my stories that much. I have an idea, i churn it round til i find the version that clicks and then i just write what comes to mind. Some of my stories started with zero thoughts or points beyond the initial inspiration while others have a style and vague world-plot but nothing specific until i begin writing and stuff plops into being as i think while writing.

Then again, i write as a side-hobby and not hoping to become a legit published author or something.

jossy48 likes this.
  14. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    my advice, be strong ppl will curse you, curse your writing, will say that it sucks, it has been seen before, etc, etc, be strong keep writing

Kotohood and jossy48 like this.
  15. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Coming as someone who has written dozens of chapters 1-2-3-4-5-abandoned.........

I think it's important to have a sense for the ending of your story. If you have no idea how your story is going to end, you drastically decrease the chances that you'll complete your work.

Consequently, these days I try to have an idea about (A) the message/idea/theme I want to convey, (B) what the main conflict of the story with be, and (C) what the conclusion will be, before I start writing.

SummerForest and jossy48 like this.
  16. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    Write down any ideas you have. Also, writing an outline for your whole story helps a lot. Then from that outline you can separate the different volumes, decide characters, build their arcs, etc. In other words, planning your novel properly helps a lot when you start writing it because you will know most of what you need to do. You can also make changes and improvise on the fly as you write, so don’t feel restricted by the outline, use it as a guide.

Also, learn how to separate yourself from your work. You are an amateur. You will screw up. Do your best to avoid mistakes, always reread what you write, think about what you are doing and put out the best quality content you can. That way you will avoid some criticism, but it will still come. You gotta be expecting it and not lose your shit when someone said your work is trash. Keep it cool, listen to feedback and work to fix your flaws. If you are your biggest critic, no one else will bother you, so try to be as perfectionist as possible.

Try to get into a writer’s discord or some kind of circle so you can get second opinions and help. Also a good place to learn and make friends. Don’t be afraid to meet new people or ask for advice.

This is all I can say. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    jossy48 likes this.
  17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Sit on a chair (not a bed, please don't, it's a distraction)
    2) Open your notebook, laptop or desktop
    3) Enable soft music that, listen to it while leaning back on the chair with your eyes closed
    4) Pick up a pencil, or leave your hand on the keyboard
    5) Write the first thing that come to your mind
    6) Keep writing, it doesn't matter that it doesn't make much sense. Just write
    7) Before you know it, you're written a story. It may not make much sense, but so does life

Do not worry about proofreading and editing yet. Those come later. Do not worry about grammar yet, because you just need to write. You just need to unblock your barriers. Beggars can't force the government to open the waterways, but once the beggar upgrades into a politician, he can blow up the damns.

jossy48 likes this.
  18. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not a writer per say, but a rule of gamer mentality still apply here.

1. Keep track of your character (personality/ability/motivation etc etc)
    2. Keep track of romance, if you are including it in your story.
    3. Flesh out your worldbuilding. Keep track of races and history.
    4. Use creative Writing software - writenow/power structure etc etc.
    5. Use grammar checker.
    6. Gary stu and Mary sue are difficult to get correct. A reminder.
    7. Have your engame ready and craft your character journey using that engame as reference. Plotholes is your greatest enemy. Bland character is your second enemy.
    8. Harem more than 3 is difficult to write. Straight or gay.
    9. Motivation
    10. Keep your motivation
    11. Safeguard your motivation.
    12. Good luck.

19. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually leave grammar till the end and first crosscheck what I wrote with the Key Points sheet, closing possible plotholes asap and changing a few things to fit the characters or background I already wrote. That takes around as long as it took to write the part I am editing (1 hour ~ 2.500 words), since I strike out a lot and add in nearly as much. (from changes of a characters hair colour to the background of someone to making enemies friends.)

Then I edit grammar and sentences to make it flow better and not disturb immersion (basically don't use only simple vocabulary, don't repeat words too much in close proximity, make sentences fit the situation (ie short sentences in action rich scenes and longer sentences otherwise, but no 5-10 lines long sentences.)). Also, you could try giving characters a slightly different manner of speaking and highlight it with small grammatical changes. This part takes a lot less time, since I only have to change a few things per paragraph, so around half the time it took to write it.
    I use MS Word for my writing, so I can see grammatical errors pretty easily.

All in all, a well edited chapter of ~5000 words takes between 3 and 7 hours to write, depending on how easily the story (or the part I am writing) comes to me.

In the beginning having a proofreader or just someone to tell you their opinion is always good, because it helps you see what could be changed and what parts are particularily well written, so you can improve. It isnt necessary though to have someone proofread your works if you aren't comfortable yet with sharing it.

jossy48 likes this.
  20. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    If your story gets long, make a second file, or note book, about your characters. Name, a small description, goals, fears, relations, etc. This helps with not having to go back and check on who said person was if you happen to forget.

jossy48 likes this.