Discussion Adwalls - The Lock Symbol (Qidian)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Queen of Sheba, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen of Sheba

Queen of Sheba Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really curious about this. It used to be that for Qidian novels, next to the newly released chapters, there would be an adwall symbol (the lock) to indicate that it is 'view-advertisement-to-read'.

Now, the symbol indicating that the chapter is actually adwalled only appears on the very last adwalled chapter, but not the for the adwalled chapters before. Is this Just translator negligence? Or is this something technical?

For example, when viewing the chapters for 'I'm Really a Superstar', according to the categorisation only chapter 847 is adwalled. Yet, that's clearly not true, since chapter 846 is adwalled as well. This is pandemic for nearly all Qidian stories.

The level of annoyance this induces is slowly increasing, continuously being deceived by the updates; to click expecting a few new chapter, only to see that it is available only after viewing the advertisement. I don't know about other people, but I certainly don't watch the advertisements.

All opinions, and replies are welcome.

Spiritsong and Allchemic like this.
  2. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    most novels on Qidian are generic shit. the ones that arent, my dao fo MTL lets me read them.

Slayerwolfx2, Ingenuity and Yonas like this.
  3. Queen of Sheba

Queen of Sheba Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also kind of funny that the number of adwalled chapters are increasing. It used to be one chapter. Turned to two. Now it's four. Not to mention that there's the system of currencies on Qidian which was - relatively - recently introduced. The milking has began in earnest it seems. :notworthy:

Ai chan likes this.
  4. Yariazen

Yariazen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I see the adwall symbol for every newly released chapter.

5. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to stockpile chapters for NEET has dating sim or something like that. I stopped reading it because it seems its on the verge of going downhill. For the adwalls Ive mixed feelings since they need to pay the translators that actually do quality work in their novel translation but then again its something that Qidian will probably abuse. I still dont approve of their illegal actions. Btw i dont read anything on Qidian since im more of a Korean and Japanese novels reader

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  6. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    it is usually the last 2 latest chapters that are locked with adwall.

7. A.I.M.E-02847

A.I.M.E-02847 [Trying to understand Humanity]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: adwalls are fine though if you have patience with them.

8. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a 30sec video. Either watch it or wait until its open. Stop complaining like everyones post that got sent to the mega thread. Its annoying. You're lucky its not paywall.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  9. jw287962

jw287962 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guessing that too many people are just not reading it when it is adwalled, so they are doing more chapters to incentivize people to just go ahead and watch some ads and read it. Cause otherwise idk how they are making them $$ if so many are just waiting for the adwall chapters to go away.

10. Eclantro

Eclantro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be clear here, the complaint isn't that adwall chapters are a thing, but that the system that makes them show up on our reading lists as open without adwall is chronically incorrect.

For example, HIdden Marriage is a mess atm (with 8 walled chapters), and Gourmet Food Supplier shows no locked chapters when there are in fact 2.

11. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not always a 30 second ad I've gotten one that was 4 minutes long and not skippable I'm pretty sure the ads are regional so depending on where you live you can be screwed over

Mangochic likes this.
  12. Charles83

Charles83 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    quidian has a weird way of adding addwalls, most novels are 2, I have seen some novels where they do a massive release and every single one is addwalled (up to 8 chapters), and there are some that get no adwall at all even on the last chapter of the series, why this happen no idea, maybe its because of agreements with the different authors?

13. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just the start... maybe VIP may come in the future...

14. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    I had those too, but its not like thats the only thing you want to read. Play the ad on one tab and read something else on a different tab (mute the computer while the ad is going on). By the time you finish reading the other story, ad would've ended a while ago. Or idk, get a glass of water and drink it. Go to the bathroom. Complain on a NU thread on how the ads are annoying and make QI as a business do a paywall instead of ads to get money from those complaining about adwalls to shut them up.

If you can wait 1 day for the next chapter. You can wait 4mins for an ad. Do something for 4mins until the ad ends. Not that hard.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  15. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Then why don't you report it to the mods that the feature isn't working properly? Making threads like ain't gonna solve anything.

Slayerwolfx2 and readerz like this.
  16. Dydreamr

Dydreamr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've noticed that for the few novels I read the ad-wall was up for the latest two chapters. I was one of those people who was furious with novel updates for not giving a way to filter out the ads and complained bitterly. Then I actually looked at chapters with the ads and I realized while some are a few minutes some are 8 seconds. In either case it was not really a hardship to simply play the ads, and either do something else or just wait it out. And if I didn't feel like doing either, nobody made me watch the ads and I could just be a few days behind.

The fact that I deplore their business practices and how they've treated WW and the community doesn't change the fact that they have over 50 novels they are actively translating, they are starting a new series every week, and they have brought over good novels from genres like scifi and modern that fan translators have largely refused to touch. I don't know what they are making from ads but doing all of the above is a pretty big expense and so far they've asked nothing of me but to watch a few ads if I choose. If they do decide to charge I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

17. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Adwalled chapters are bonus chapters. :blobexpressionless: If you see more adwalled chapters, it means the translator is releasing more chapters than his schedule. :facepalm: It really makes one wonder what's the point of bonus chapters if readers are going to complain about them. :hmm:

lonelytree likes this.
  18. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the OP's grievances are genuine.

There are options to not show locked-behind-adwall chapters in reading lists. So, by right, those that are no longer locked-behind-adwall shouldn't appear. But they did appear, as unlocked, and when you read the chapters, its locked. So either NovelUpdates are doing it wrong, or somebody on behalf of the translation team is posting it wrong.

However,

1) who updates the lists? They should be held responsible for misleading.
    2) who edits the list after initially they are "unlocked"? Or is it automatically by the system? They should be held responsible for misleading.

It isn't an issue of "you can wait for one day, wait for another day". It is about 'what you see is what you get'. IF I see chapter xyz as non ad-walled, it better be non-adwalled. Such practices are rampant in many countries, and users become de-sensitized to such scams and schemes (like in Malaysia, for example). Other countries, like Australia doesn't allow such practices, but it doesn't mean that these goons will care. People who want others to click and view the ads have interests. They are not your friends.

Last I heard, the translators have full control over which / how many chapters to be ad-walled. How about the revenue from ad-walls? I don't know. If somebody can answer that question, then by following the trail of money, you can immediately see for yourself who's the guilty party. As far as I'm concerned, personally, my view is that the entity running NovelUpdates don't have such motives (to have users run to ad-walls) because it is in their interest to deliver "what you see is what you get" experiencce for those having reading lists. So somebody with material interests in users having to go through all that adverts will want users to. But, who?

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that's mean there so many turltle which make @Qidian feel sad cuz too many turtles! da adds is nut enuff! helep!!! lel~
    oh well perhaps qidian change da system? huehehehe
    @Tony will da bot only check locked chapter until unlocked and abandon it when unlocked?
    seem like another work
    meh

20. elitesaint

elitesaint Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I 'm curious as well. Is this lock intended design for QI?
    It does not surprise if in the future we will see the new symbol is dollar sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.