LCD Age Of Adepts

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Xravia, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Konnur

Konnur Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just from reading the first three chapters of Age of Adepts I already felt the WMW vibe but it could take a different turn in the later chapters.
    So let's hope it turns out differently from WMW

2. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    He did actually....tags are kinda part of a thread...

3. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already left it in tags.

4. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    it really feels like you haven't bothered reading the novel before making this

5. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read first 4 chapters before reading this even there is
    even a character similar to even Nysaa
    and
    location of magic tower is similar to bone graveyard of WMW

6. VeggieFly

VeggieFly New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Wizarding World came out in 2012
    WMW came out in 2015
    Age of Adepts came out in 2016

There is a saying that there is no such thing as true originality in creativity, as you are influenced by the world around you.

I can definitely see that WMW resembles The Wizarding World, and that Age of Adepts resembles both WMW and The Wizarding World.

To give another example, many Xianxia are very similar to each other, yet we still read them, enjoy them, and view them as separate entities.
    There is the exiled son/daughter, seemingly hated by everyone, who dies, then a soul from another world takes over their body and changes their life.
    There is the hardworking child of a former genius parent, who finds an artifact with a mentor inside it who guides them on their path to strength.
    There is the arrogant MC, who crushes his enemies, who are all somehow more arrogant than him, and easily rises to the top because they are MC.

I am the editor of AoA, and thus I have a bias, but I feel that the author of AoA is a very good writer, and that, so long as our translation is of a high quality, this could be better than WMW. Just give it a chance. Please.

Blitz, Setra and monkey magic like this.
  7. Ogami-kun

Ogami-kun 『Blue Shadow ensnaring demons』『FA sect disciple』

Reading List:
    Link
    hi, I would like to ask, has the story taken a different route from wmw?

8. VeggieFly

VeggieFly New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
    If I had to answer your question, I would say that the story is definitely different, but if WMW is the love of your life, and you refuse anything that is similar to it at all, you will not be able to read this story.

Nyssa and Mary are similar characters, but Nyssa plays a much smaller role than Mary does and Mary stays dominant for a while. (Dominating female characters seem to be a thing in the early stages of this novel :p )

Leylin does some fucked up shit. Greem is closer to your standard Xianxia character.

Leylin follows the more standard path of the Xianxia Hero, who strides through battlefields like their nothing from fairly early on. Greem (as far as I have read) doesn't have any clear goal/dream yet... well, he is just doing his best to survive. He is rarely the master of his own fate, as he keeps getting caught in power struggles and politics.

After becoming an Adept, he is forced to sign a contract with an Adept Family and is sent to a new plane to conquer it for them.

Setra likes this.
  9. Zyront

Zyront Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not the editor and im not biased, but i agree whit you an have been trying to say the same on the wmw disscusion. I've read wuxia and xianxia novels since he-man started this translation movement whit coiling dragon, ive read almost the same amount on Japanese ligth novels and dont get me started o animes and manga.
    Every single one of the avobe mentioned have hundreds if not thousands of stories based on the same premises and cliches that goes in a roundabout path to just be the as good as their "equals" and some times even better, it is easy enough to criticise a novel just because it seems like one you just readed or are reading but thats not the right thing to do. Just because it has some commonalities it doesnt mean that they're the same or worse, you have to give it a chance and actually read at leat the first hundred chapters or so before giving your statement that sucks, and even so thats just your opinion.
    If you just are looking for something new every time and dont want to read similar stories then this is not your "world" m8. Give it a try or stop whining publicly about it, ive seen and heard of ppl that because of the "popular opinion " dislike or hate books that havent even read, and its so dumb and sad that sometimes they give it a try and actually like it after saying so much shit about it. Give it a rest ppl stop being a fucking dick about a stupid similarity between 2 or 3 novels and actually try it or not. If you still dont like it that's your choice, or being less polite fuck off and get out of the way there's ppl that might like it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. Ogami-kun

Ogami-kun 『Blue Shadow ensnaring demons』『FA sect disciple』

Reading List:
    Link
    it is the opposite, i dropped wmw, but this seems interesting so i will probably start reading it tomorrow

11. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How come? Assuming Anderson's attitude to educating his apprentices (i.e. prohibiting them from exchanging knowledge) is representative of the way Zhentarim Association treats their future heirs, there's no way they can compete against United Adept Association that has a "shareable knowledge system".
    Knowledge is power, and disjointed organization where everyone hoards their own research will never be able to win against one with free exchange of information.

12. monkey magic

Reading List:
    Link
    @SinsI right now it seems like Anderson's way of doing things is not the zhentarim way, which is why they suddenly have to do missions outside their paygrade. everyone is looking down on them because they are so weak compared to all the apprentices everyone else sent out, he's just pissed they used his home as a mission point.

13. monkey magic

Reading List:
    Link
    do i have to point out that in DnD the Zhentarim are an orginastion of mercs who seek to make hiring anyone else unprofitable?

14. Zyront

Zyront Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, thats just a name. Its not like they have imitated the whole dungeons and dragons game, its the same when 2 or 3 novels have a "crafting school" "five elements school " "sky / heaven palace" and so on. Even the same adventurers guild of the jp novels have a better point.

15. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why they decided to split into 5 teams right from the start. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the first try together, to safely gather information on terrain and monster composition of each particular place, and only split up later, after taking into account each individual's compatibility?
    I.e. Mary can't do anything against monsters that have tough skin, and don't get anything out of killing monsters that have no blood.

It would also allow them to form more effective teams, instead of randomly pairing up without knowing each other's strength.

16. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to assume they dont want to expose secrets. I'm glad the MC with Mary though. I just know they wont stay together long going by CN standards. They get that bullshit from one of my favorite wuxia stories "Return of the Condor Heroes."

17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am rather proud of the MC for not thinking with his dick and not wanting to sleep with vampire waifu

Well, so far the MC went "warlocks bloodline adepts have to deal with their bloodline shackles, so I am not gonna be one". also his talent is fire magic not shadow magic. Yes he resides in a shadow magic swamp school... but that is actually his misfortune as it cripples his growth as he is wholly unsuited for it.

Also the AI chip has been nerfed in many ways.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Zyront

Zyront Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You and me both, had it been me i would have probably fu**ed her brains out, its the most common choice because i seriously doubt that she will kill him just for that

19. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh... I really wish author would *never* bring forth any of his numbers.
    They destroy impression of this world, turning it into a kind of D&D session instead of a new fantastic experience.
    The numbers themselves are ridiculous. I.e.
    - is far, far too fast. Who in their right mind would exchange precious merit points (earned through risking one's life) and magic crystals for Mind Concentrating Potion if you can just meditate for a week to achieve the same effect?
    Even the non-chip-boosted number (0.01 to 0.02) is far too high.

20. Zyront

Zyront Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are over reacting, 0.08 is high yes, but thats because he can actively swallow the fire element particles during meditation. Normal aprentices have to do it pasively so for them its better to use the potions, it is weird though that the chip gives him consciousness when meditating.