LCD Age Of Adepts

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Xravia, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Kiriima

Kiriima Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @KidBuu

You think too far ahead. Sarubo clan doesn't want to kill Greem, they want to suppress him so he won't lure their adepts to join him when he creates his own force. You transform this in some death and life struggle while it's much simpler. Just wait 20-30 chapters and you will see.
    Why? It would hurt her in the first place. It's all here:
    http://gravitytales.com/novel/age-of-adepts/aoa-chapter-403
    Alice and Greem isn't a thing yet. Greem isn't going to die and Alice isn't going to shoot herself in the leg for his clan struggles.
    He is not powerful, he is level 1, with level 1 background at best (Alice). Any level 2 adept will kill him with one hand, not speaking about level 3. Again, Sarubo clan isn't trying to kill him anyway.

2. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what I really want to see for magic type novels? An adept/mage that use's necromancy and nature/life magic. Before someone says they are opposing elements in CNs its always talking about how a balance can be formed between yin and yang or fire and ice. I thin that life and death would fit more into a type of balance than fire and ice. You know the whole circle of life.

You ever play Elder Scrolls Online? On the Daggerfall story there is a Necromancer Reachmage called Angulf. A Reachmage is sort of like a corrupt nature mage. He used vines as his main attack pattern and then summoned undead to go with that and since fighting against him in that one map I have become interested in that combo. I think a darkness and nature affinity combo would be interesting. Use vines and nature to attack(maybe put some curses on the vines) and then summoning undead as a support to overwhelm the opponent. Later on experimenting with making chimera(corrupting nature) and then when one dies from the experiment using necromancy to raise it to still fight. Just a magic combo that I thought would be interesting to read about. It would require the mc to plan out fights though and not charge in so probably unlikely to happen. :(

mrttao and bonifide like this.
  3. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    I do think to far ahead and honestly I'll take that as a compliment. I would consider myself a logically person and with how many times that the author has repeatedly told us of how cruel and logically the adepts of the world are I would like to think that they to would be planning this out and thinking of the consequences of their actions.

Now then I do not recall ever saying that clan would directly kill Greem but you don't have to kill someone to make them hold a grudge. Ways to make someone hold a grudge: Indirectly killing their apprenctices by sending them to wars (check), refusing services/helping (check), repeatedly sending person to war zones(most lekily going to happen). What I predict to happen is that for the rest of Greem's contract him and his faction are going to be on the shit list of the clan. What I mean by that is whenever there is a war or conflict his faction is going to be sent to deal with it. That will cause not only a loss of life but also a loss of "cultivation" time. . . I don't know what other word I could use maybe meditation?

Now then there is some good from this bad. If Greem and his those of his faction survives all of these battles than that means that they are going to be strong. They are going to be a well made sword forged in the fires of war. The only question would be what kind of grudge they hold against the Sarubo clan afterwards? Now once the contract gets to the 100 year point at that time the clan would truly start worrying about Greem. How would an adept who survived all that fighting react? Would he be neutral in future conflicts or would he be an enemy of the clan? For a logical organizations all these questions would be asked.

The whole Alice not shooting herself in the leg I agree she would make that big of a deal about it but why did she make a contract with the Sarubo clan about the resource sites? Why not ask the Death witches instead they were the witches that supported her in the North? The only reason why I see that she would make a contract with the Sarubo clan is because of Greem and Meryl(friends). If something happens to them she has no point to continue to have any relationship with the Sarubo clan.

The whole escape to the north thing is because I am a logical overthinker. If I was in Greem's situation would I believe that the Sarubo clan would kill me for wanting to leave? No, because if they did and that got around they would lose some reputation with adepts who wish to make there own organization in the future causing them to avoid them but its best to plan for the worst and hope best. Always plan an escape route even if you have confidence to win. You never know one of your opponents might have a space stone infused into her body and teleport you outside of the tower(Alice). In that situation it wouldn't be to have an escape plan though and just to kill your enemies very quickly.

4. Kiriima

Reading List:
    Link
    Adepts don't care about apprentices if they are not their blood relatives. Greem is not an exception. He also took them on his own.
    Greem chose to build his tower far beyond Sarubo territory, which was the same as screaming 'I am going to leave', he expected not having any help after that, natural thing.
    He had about 10 years to do his own things under protection of his clan. While they do have their contract with Alice now, it was in no way 100% guarantee thing. Any fighting was on his own reasons and he was repeatedly protected and taken revenge for by his clan. Doesn't it amount to gratitude then? And he is leaving the clan after that. Basically, he is an offender here and clan is taking revenge for this grudge.
    That is why I said that you are going to far ahead. The bad thing with predictions is that they don't work this way. My prediction: clan is going to bribe Greem 'faction' (part inside Sarubo clan) with benefits so they stay with clan in the future and in the same time they will suppress Greem by making him fail a few times and plummeting his reputation as a constant winner so minority of people would want to leave clan with him and on this they would be done with this suppression thing. See? Wouldn't it be smart? Just as quasi-realistic as your prediction and 180 degree opposite. That is why I am saying that they are not working.
    I am not going to quote everything else cause I already showed my point. You are basing everything on your prediction, which could easily be wrong. There is no point in arguing with a prediction.
    That is because they are enemies now. They got her granny as a prisoner. Read the novel.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    You misunderstood a couple of my points.

First off killing off his apprentices is a negative not because he cares about him but for his reputation and future plans. "Who wants Adept Greem as a master all his apprentices die." Future plans was what I was going for in the point though. If Greem's faction had a high number of death's than who would want to join him? If there is not that many people in his faction come time for him to leave than there won't be a big chunk leaving. Best use them while we have them would be the mentality of the clan.

Second point of not helping him was not because of the tower but of the voodoo adept ignoring Greem's invite to come help him after the battle. Greem wanted him to turn the big guy who fell into lava into a voodoo puppet to defend the tower but strangely he never got a reply from that adept. That's the help that I am talking about. Also it could be considered not helping/refusing service now that his faction/apprentices are no longer getting the same treatment as before.

Did you notice the (check) after the end of more points in the first comment? That meant that the point in question has already happened. When I talked about "repeatedly sending a person to a war zone" was it a (check) to? No, it was a prediction going off of the piece of news about the clan's next assignment for Greem was going to be at the resource site next to the other clan that they were going to go to war against. It was a prediction that in the future if the clan had a fight they would send Greem to it. Why? They might as well use him while they have him. So let me ask you this: A clan gives you good treatment for 10 years but then suddenly for the next 90 years they are giving you the cold shoulder maybe even repeatedly sending you to a war zone. Does 10 years of good treatment equal 90 years of bad treatment? Would gratitude for 10 years of protection out weigh 90 years of being put into harms way? If it was me in this situation I wouldn't hold a grudge just wipe my hands clean of the clan and leave but this is a chinese novel so I expect face slapping equal revenge. I hope I am wrong on that because I would like a smart mc but who knows.

Just so you know if I was the clan leader your prediction is actually close to what I would have done in my situation except with a few tweaks. First off I would bribe the apprentices to his faction but more importantly I would cut off the supply. Greem does not have a city/population to recruit apprentices from by no longer sending him anymore of the clan apprentices. I would also sideline Greem from battles but not purposely damage his reputation. The reason I would sideline him would be to make Golems. This is one point of the story/clan that I do not fully understand. Why doesn't the Sarubo clan have Greem make golems for them? According to Greem golems is just his side gig while combat is his main but anybody with a decent mind would see the importance of his golems. Think about this: Greem was able to bring a decent amount of golems with him into the planar war; why couldn't have he made more and given him to the other adepts in the group? It was mentioned that a fair amount of adepts who died in the war died because they were not combat adepts but if each of them had a golem with them perhaps they would have survived. By Alice using the slime golem and tyrant we can see that the golems can be used by anyone so why didn't/does the clan just provide Greem with monster cores and have him make golems for them? Sure you could argue that it is not in the contract by why wouldn't such an important ability be mentioned in writing? To sum that up I would have Greem be a hermit for most of the contract time building golems for the clan while his reputation slowly fades away. No complications. No worries about anyone leaving with a bad taste in their mouth. Just benefits.

Kind of confused a little on your second to last para. "The bad thing with predictions is that they don't work this way." It's a prediction. It doesn't have to work out. A prediction is a guess of what will come by using previous pieces of information. If my prediction is wrong then big deal.

Oh and your final point is the one that I love the most. The death witches have Alice's granny prisoner?!? I should read the novel?!? Oh woe is me and the translator of the novel. I most tell him that he made a grave mistake. In chapters 383 and 384 it is said that it is the DARK WITCHES who have Alice's granny imprisoned at the Black mystery tower. Someone better contact him to correct that mistake. :)

6. Kiriima

Reading List:
    Link
    @KidBuu
    As I said, wait 20-30 chapters.

Greem showed that he is going to leave clan and take some clan people with him (according to his abilities). Sarubo people have all reasons to retaliate here. Greem started the whole thing. Not Sarubo people. Greem.. It's normal to suffer a little for this, they are not going for each other throats (important).
    You can't possibly use your predictions that last to up 200+ chapters further in the novel to prove that they are somehow wrong. It's the same as with the analogies: predictions are not arguments because we can 'predict' anything. Why 200+ chapters? Greem cannot escape to the north and take an asylum there before his 100 years contract expires. It directly spells so (it was in a chapter right after he returned from planar war: Greem cannot leave Sarubo clan for 100 years). So even with major time skips you still need 200+ chapters or something before your predictions could kick in fully.
    I don't really remember who are dark and who are death witches. Some of them was Alice's kind of allies but took her granny as prisoners, others are her clan who abandoned her in the first place. Right?

7. Alex Crimson

Alex Crimson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Billis is alive huh? All these minor characters. I always wonder just which ones will end up surviving and joining Greems faction. The snake bloodline adept seems to no longer be a thing, but i am curious to know what happens to Billis and that one witch apprentice that joined Alice.

8. Kiriima

Reading List:
    Link
    So much for suppression, he doesn't even need to fight too much. In reality, the clan makes use of his reputation and strength to achieve pretty crucial thing for itself during very crucial time. Both a punishment, as a dangerous job, and an opportunity.

jirka642 likes this.
  9. Alex Crimson

Reading List:
    Link
    I did miss Mary. Naturally she is back to trying to beat Greem into submission. Wonder if there will be more bad guys they need to handle together. Maybe its finally time to break from the Sarubo clan.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Alice dead yet? :blobconfused:

11. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    No, and probably won't happen. She is now the leader of the witches of fate in the North. Her plot armor of predicting the future is strong. Her uses to the mc are strong. She will most likely be around for the long run.

Good news though- Mary is back.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    mrttao, jirka642 and Wujigege like this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What chapter did Mary come back?
    I was really hoping the story won't be so predictable in terms of the Alice storyline. Guess I wasn't lucky

13. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    She came back at chapter 451. If you want to skip the majority of the Alice focused story line go to about chapter 385.

14. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also she is a haremette waifu. that is an extra layer of plot armor

15. Alex Crimson

Reading List:
    Link
    If it makes you feel better, she is no longer a loli. She is actually showing herself to be fairly competent.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary is just a better character.
    I can spot this story's direction from a mile away. Annoying characters like Alice just make it more tedious to read.
    I just came here to jest.
    I probably prefer to cut my finger off than continue this novel at this month.
    Surprised author hasn't ended the novel yet

17. Radon Stone

Radon Stone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And so we get out first(?) major time skip. Glad that the author realized the characters are just in a growth stage and it'd be nothing but actual filler if he had extensive details for that time period. So far Greem's repertoire of companions has remained significant and will be an integral force of his. Not something we see too often. Looking forward to the child and I'm hoping Mum makes it out alive.

It's also pretty interesting to see the type and level of respect Greem has garnered, not often we see kindness/civility respected in these sorts of stories. Usually it's all the brute force order or the MC is so amazing strong/talented with no other qualities. Greem's fairness and willingness to grow others is quite the asset.

jirka642 likes this.
  18. Alex Crimson

Reading List:
    Link
    Off. Another series going to QI. Ill continue reading it on GT, but it will obviously be removed eventually. Its pretty highly ranked on GT, and QI love to make their novels premium now. If its removed from GT, then unfortunately ill be forced to drop it.

Love how the editor is covering himself by constantly saying stating "no current plans" to screw over the readers that have stuck with them so far.

19. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GT has been owned by QI for years now.

20. Alex Crimson

Reading List:
    Link
    They have a small enough impact on the site that im willing to finish up the series i currently read on there. If QI starts interferring with them, then i just drop the series.