Resource aggregators no more❓

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tofu Cat, Mar 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently noticed that some of the aggregator sites among the top results when u search a novel up do not update the post after you upload. Found this out by visiting one of the little shits like a few weeks after I uploaded and noticed that the mistake I forgot to edit out was sTilL thEre :hmm:

So here’s a kinda solution: post booby posts where you maybe start the story with a few paragraphs then go off and write rubbish afterwards. I don’t think those sites care much about updating so I think it’s safe to edit those posts that you’ve previously posted* maybe a few days after, depending on their efficiency lmao.
    *extremely important otherwise they’ll take your new post as.. well a new post, and steal it.

You can add a few paragraphs of “go to the original site <tofucat. cattofu> for the actual content.” like most do to hopefully move the hearts of people back to the original website hahaha.

remember to tell readers that ‘this issa fake post!!’ in the comments of your post(bc they only copy the main text I think) otherwise they’ll run away lmao

actually idk yet if this worked for others, I just hope that if u try it out it’ll help.
    cheers :blobcozy:

snowandcats likes this.
  2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then it’ll mess up this site.

Those sites will never stop so no use worrying or trying to fool them.

3. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    your plan will never work, they do not update it today's, because is not needed, because people is posting the correct chapter, in the moment you start to implement it, and people takes notice of the mess up chapter, they will only need to add some lines in the script to update it with the new content.
    of course with one or two people doing it, they can still let it go, but once the translator start to mass doing it, is only a question of time for the new update.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregator sites are a strange bunch.
    I admittedly use one to read a story that would otherwise be hidden behind an (for me) not affordable paywall (Question my Intend silently please), only to come across one of these "read chapters on xyz.com, this chapter is stolen if not read on xyz.com" messages hidden within the chapter.
    The problem was that I knew that they did not translate said story, so I found out, that the aggregator site I was using steals their content from another aggregator site who either steals it from yet another aggregator site (continuing the queue) or from the original site.

And at least one of them has the galls to complain about chapters being stolen from them.

No honor among thieves. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

5. jintingmei

jintingmei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people wait a week before uploading chapters to novelupdates, since they rely on this site's updates to scalp. This is a double-edged blade though and will cut into your readership. Many of these aggregators don't update though I noticed? I managed to ward some off by posting some chapters with "bot check" posts where I put in several links to confuse bots.

I wonder though, do people continue to read on aggregator sites even with missing chapters?? :hmm:

Also my booby chapter that I hid in those links contain the entire bee movie script, but I've only seen it getting copied once :blobjoy:

6. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve thought of that but now that you’ve said it the more I feel like yeah in a few weeks it’s not gonna work
    There will always be people trying to fool them bc them sites are literally taking money (aka readers=clicks on ads).
    I don’t feel like it’ll screw up NU except maaybe the system will crash bc there’s more load...? But yeah mainly bc in the end chapters are still gonna upload.

7. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    those "read at site x" are still useful.

Useful in the sense that I can find out who were the one that actually post the fastest blob_crime

I care about speed enough that 5 minutes is a big difference. Unless it's a paid service then that'll go to the trash and aggregators are the go to. Other than that, TLers shd be more aggresive on their "read at x dot com" more if they find out their stuff is stolen.

8. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed :hmm: actually eh sometimes when I stumble upon the unfortunate main website that’s kinda broken down(frigging ads sprout out of nowhere after 3seconds) I go to gator’s website to read in pEacE. But then I return to main website to try again if I find missing chapters

Pffft why is the bee movie still so popular :blobjoy:

aye they’re good, but idk about spaaamming the website names that much tho, bc sometimes readers wanna read in reading mode for the fonts they want and those reminders are extremely disruptive of the reading experience.
    Literally wanted to run after some TL w a pitchfork once bc they had freakin bLacK background w whiTe for normal text and gReY for the “read at x website”. Like did they not remember bro I quit it book after 18 chapters bc that was when they started spamming like once after every 10 shoRT paragraphs.

9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregator sites are a nice archive just in case. It would be nice if they upload new chapters with at least 1 week delay though. It's annoying to the translators. I mean, some people at least realize the aggregator site is just using someone else's work, but there are plenty of naive kiddos who don't have a clue (I see them begging in comments for new chapters).

Wujigege likes this.
  10. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My reading list contains at least one or two dozen series whose early chapters are only available on an aggregator. Those sites are way more reliable than the average translator's blog in terms of sticking around for the long term. Translators disappear, stop paying their hosting bills, or delete their blog all the time. Sometimes they change domain names and hosts every year or two (Raising the Dead) and don't bring over their older chapters to the new hosting service.

I get that translators hate having their work copied to other sites without their permission, but people who read translated novels hate finding a series they can't start reading because the blog hosting all the early chapters disappeared.

Wujigege and animefan217 like this.
  11. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you want to start at the begging of a story and when you go to the first chapters the original site is down/ gone/ in Limbo and you "get lucky" that it's on one of those sites or it's gone through like a dozen translators so you end up going from site to site to site just to get up to the current translation, then I think about going to one just to read it all in one place. Otherwise I stick to the original translator unless there's really no choice (like the site is so broke humpty dumpty was easier to fix) and only if I really want to read said work bad enough

12. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s called refreshing. They don’t cache your old chapters.

13. nigaria

nigaria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also think they are useful as an archive for novels with dead links, but with one or 2 aggregators would suffice, how many aggregators are out there?

in the end fighting against aggregators is wasting a big effort in a fruitless task.... i had tried writting bullshit at the end of each paragraph in white in the past, doesnt prevent aggregators from stealing but it will annoy the readers and might convice them to go to the original tlor site (i would write before the chap explaining that aggregators steal the translations and to please com to our site, if they decided to continue reading a f*cked up chapter in aggregator then that was their choice)... well at least i had a nice time writting those hidden messages xd tho it had not occurred to me that reading in dark mode in our site would also show the messages... so far no one complained so...

btw writting a small message in the beginning explaining why are you asking them to come to your site really does convince some readers, even if just a few, to switch to your site

Tofu Cat likes this.
  14. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or better, don't upload on novelupdate, research have shown that if you don't upload chapters on novel updates Aggregators won't stole it until some one else upload on it.