Discussion AGM has the best Harem (Prove me wrong)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Malicre, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Malicre

Malicre Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got started with the whole cultivation thing years ago with coiling dragon and while it was good it didn't have the romance aspect i wanted so after reading countless novels i finally found a hidden gem that apparently did "harem" right and had an actual reason for there to be "harem" and not just another drop x girl after y arc which is kinda shocking because most people haven't even read AGM (Ancient Godly Monarch) and it has become my favorite novel to this day.

I'll post a spoiler link below if you want to read why/how i think the harem works so well in AGM compared to other novels. BE WARNED MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW SO SKIP THE SPOILERS AND GO READ THE NOVEL.

Highly recommend AGM to anyone who's a romance lover or wants to read an actual good "harem" novel. Also feel free to post any novels you know of that do the "harem" situation right as in theres a logical reason for it and not just a collectathon.

So basically the MC sees his lover / female MC die right in front of him (He thinks she dies but you see shortly that's not the case, he just doesn't know it yet) which causes him to go berserk and basically turn into a demon/monster and after which is saved by a friend whos also a female and she takes care of him for a long time even while hes in said demon/monster form which gradually increases his feeling for her but nothing ever happens for awhile. He eventually find out his original lover is alive and while she lost her memories she regains them as soon as she meets the mc again. After the main 2 get married he has to send the other girl off since shes from a higher plane and the wife allows him to kiss her and gives him permission to make her wife #2 because she knows she was there for him while she was dead.

2. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sevens

3. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai Tensei Soudouki

Sabruness and lolilolinepu like this.
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    What's up with that bait and switch title? Title isn't the same as shown on NU: Actual good harem novels? -> AGM has the best Harem (Prove me wrong)

Anyway, AGM is ultra trash, I wouldn't recommend anyone with any amount of self-respect to read it.

Also, if there were a "best" harem novel poll or something, I'm pretty sure Mushoku Tensei would win it.

kuroAnsatsu, Reak, Heartless and 3 others like this.
  5. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Those spoiler you describe, there is a similar event that happened in arifureta.

When MC went beserk when main female lead got in trouble, then other harem member calm him down and finally getting accepted

6. DiegoDeveze

DiegoDeveze Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a CN, KR nor JP novel (it's from a Chinese-Canadian author, actually), but Savage Divinity deals with harem pretty well. It's not the main focus of the story, so it doesn't detract from it and the girls are actual deep, interesting characters who have their own personalities and thoughts on matters. A lot of people complain about the slow pace of the novel (that sometimes goes way beyond walking in molasses), but it's a good story with interesting world building and characters. It's a character-driven slice of life cultivation novel with some action sprinkled within it; a story with a harem rather than a harem story.

Also Sevens is good as well, but it's a bit lacking in the character department imo. Too little character inter action for my taste. Super interesting plot and world, tho.

Mushoku Tensei is also damn good, the quintessential harem isekai adventure if you ask me. One of my absolute favorite stories of all time that sticks to convention (but executed excellently) with enough originality to not have it feel cliché. It also has one of my favorite world-building despite being quite vanilla in a lot of aspects (elves, beastmen, magic, swords, etc.)

Also, not a novel per se, but the Grisaia visual novels are good and one of my favorite things in any form of media, ever.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but these are some of my favorites off the top of my mins. In general, I like character-driven stuff, which is why I have such a hard time finding good harem stories, despite loving them so much, lol. I'm cursed.

Reak likes this.
  7. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    Try this
    Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
    Best harem i think
    And vol 1 to 7 is just a prologue

rfrfcb3001 likes this.
  8. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    Atros frontier on RRL seems to be handling it well. Actual characters being used, not just cardboard cutouts with some breasts

9. DiegoDeveze

DiegoDeveze Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it harem, tho? Like, polygamy, not just girls pinning for the MC till one of them wins. I actually loved the anime very much because of how good the story was despite being a hilarious comedy (I'm a sucker for comedic stories with a serious overarching plot) and was planning on reading the novel, but haven't gotten to it. It did seem like it could go the harem ending way, but idk, is it? I ask because I thought we were discussing stories that do engage in polygamy, otherwise I would've mentioned the magnificent Monogatari Series.

10. YuYaShiro

YuYaShiro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the best harems I've read

11. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    It is harem
    The girls cant live without him an vice versa
    The MC is a broken one
    And the anime is not going through the main story
    Its just a prologue
    Basically introducing the cast
    Best LN volume?
    Vol 7.5 and 8.5

12. Superioreos

Superioreos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magika no Kenshi to Shoukan Maou is the best harem series I have read.

Sabruness and Alexios Blake like this.
  13. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AGM is utter trash. Nobody should suffer the reading of such garbage.

Sevens is sort of okay. I don't like the flow of it. Too much slice of life and soul searching for me. It's the JP vibe of a 10 grader touching his feelings for the 1st time.

Musoku Tensei is also okay, I just don't like the flow of it and the effort to keep the MC beta like the rest of the JP novels is just ugly.

A Step In The Past actually did okay for harem. They even got a proper excuse for it. Probably best too as the author got a life action TV series out of it and gone mainstream.

Those 3 did harem the best. The rest of the novels just didn't do that well.

If you count Jin Yong novels as 'harem' because they do have sort of a harem underlined them (MC popular with multiple hot girls) then probably "Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre" probably has the best waifu materials with harem potential and badass story to boot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  14. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
  15. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    The only one harem novel that's good out of all those I know, in my opinion, is Bakarina. Because it's funny. Romance in there is badly written but the whole situation was as funny as hell

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read xianxia and I haven't read this book, but the spoiler does sound a bit like the situation in 步步生莲. The problem with doing any comparison is that the quality of the romance is dependent on how the characters interact with each other and the quality of the conversations. A broad look at a romance doesn't reveal these so it's hard to compare without reading both books. That said, I suspect my book is a lot better because the way the characters play off of one another is so fun to read. The writer's other books also have very good harems. He loves writing female characters and he's very good at it.

The harem in "Sevens" isn't good - the writer put more effort into it than most Japanese writers do, but the character interactions is still not very good. The characterization is pretty lacking so there's not a whole lot of entertainment there.

The funny thing is that Jin Yong himself wouldn't agree with you as he specifically said that he didn't think Zhao Min and Zhou Zhirou were very cute. The proper harem he wrote was "Deer and the Cauldron" and it's pretty good; with its wide range of interactions and how different the characters are. It also helps that the book is phenomenally well written.

17. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't accept her after he was calmed down while they both already loved each other it was only when the main female lead let MC have his harem(he didn't want to let her down by getting with other women), that they decided to be honest with each other and meet again to be together

18. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not talking about Zhao Min... I am talking about the other waifu, Xiao Zhao.

The Deer and The Cauldron is harem for sure, I just don't really like it. Feels bloated near the end, too scammy, rapey and ntr for my taste. I must have read some older version. I like Shaung'er the most though.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah! Jin Yong loved Xiao Zhao a lot as well. And in fact, I'd consider Shuang'er as a reimagined Xiao Zhao.

20. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, close enough