Discussion AI and Reincarnated VR

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Vex, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    This question has bugged me for a very long time.

In most CN VR novels, you have an AI overlooking the game. They are the creators, GMs, Mods etc. i.e an omnipotent God.

So why in most reincarnation VR novels they don't seem to notice the MC? His OP abilities, foreknowledge about the events, knowledge about treasures etc. Don't they suspect a cheat or illegal mods?

In fact, except The World Online, I am not aware of any novel bringing this issue up.

Like in Rebirth of the Thief who roamed the world, he knows all the locations of those special pages and finds them without any search. He knows all the techniques and requirements for the Dungeons. He's aware of all the hidden requirements and events. In Reincarnation of The Strongest Sword God, we face the same issue. And same with almost all the novels.

You don't find any unexpected changes like surprise events or a new pack, etc. It's like the game is static with no ongoing development.

Above all, rarely anyone brings up the issue of MC probably cheating or using bots. So what's with this ever present enormous plot hole...

End of the rant and the incomplete question. ..

P.S : The Mc doesn't even cares about this issue or even questions it...

User01 and Astaroth like this.
  2. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh he has a cheat to hide his cheats? It’s called the MC’s most OP cheat: Plot Armor
    And rarely is one supposed to question the realism of a novel because who wants to read about an MC of a game who is banned from playing the game, it’s no longer a VR novel then.

User01 and Dat_Karma like this.
  3. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my guess is that most authors just dont realise that a.i's are self learning machines
    and also even if they suspect cheating if there is no sign of hacking or anything at all they cant just ban him for no reason right?

4. Dacendaren

Dacendaren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How are you going to cheat using a vr helmet that only responds to brain waves and with a game controlled by an AI which monitors everything?

Also what would an AI which is based on science and logic think, that 1 he is super lucky/has insider knowledge or that 2 he has either clairvoyance or has reincarnated back into his past body from the future, both very scientific.

5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    So what if they do notice the MC ? Can they prove he's cheating or exploiting the system more than anyone else from an influential faction would try to ?

TWO actually has the AI realizing and recognizing the situation, but the MC had very rarely done something so... groundbreaking that the system had to update some parts to prevent it from happening again and breaking the balance more, usually his enemies broke the 'rules' more and were therefore bugfixed against more often.

Take... God Rank Hero as an example (I know very few chapters in total have been translated, but there's bound to be some other MTL readers of it somewhere). There's an AI of sorts managing most of it, but as 6 or 8 nations have spent huge sums on the development, they all know certain secrets in the game, exploit it and can to some degree actually influence the AI itself. Usually against the MC, who's a 'firstlifer' (no time, reincarnation or anything else, just normal). Though, they very rarely actually try that, because it costs the system a lot,so it's a lot easier to just organize a lot of players to deal with him instead.

Now, based on my information, would you say the AI would have to deal with them as well or not ? The AI itself isn't really featured, other than the MC and others really remarking on how clever some of the NPCs are.

Basically, everyone influential or powerful enough have their information sources and exploit them, the MC can only rely on past knowledge, extreme skills or extreme luck. Which side is actually doing something considered cheating ?

Mlaser likes this.
  6. On-topic

On-topic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    p-p-p-p-p-plot hole

7. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s not within the parameters of the system’s monitoring function. The system looks out for bugs and errors etc. An mc knowing where all the good stuff is isn’t something the creator would have expected, so they didn’t program the system to search for that irregularity. And if it is spotted then there’s no proof of any cheating so it’s probably ignored.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Kuro_0ni and Mlaser like this.
  8. Necessity

Necessity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    'One man army' has probably one of the best reactions that I've seen from a AI, company and community. Recommended
    Others have definitely left me unsatisfied in this area.

9. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The AI is probably programmed to punish rules that are broken but the MCs never actually break any reasonably quantifiable rules whilst inside the game that the AI, which is the domain that the AI controls

10. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Its hard to come with an answear and reactions so autors probably leave this unansweared. It not that (a lot of) readers will stop reading this story ONLY because of this and the quality of the story wont drop from 10 to 5 because of this more like 10 to 9.8 so why bother?

11. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Searching virtual reality + second chance gave 11 results. I've tried exactly 2 of those. One of those, Reign of the Hunters, does show the MC getting marked by mods. Gate of Revelations, while not a reincarnation, also shows the MC being marked. So I think it's more an issue of you asking, why aren't there a ton of novels doing this one thing in a really rare setting? And the answer is because it's a rare setting.

On another note, a lot of those VR novels which aren't reincarnation also leave security to the AI. But regardless of whether they do or do not, once they verify the MC isn't hacking the game what are they supposed to do? Ban the MC for making too many people butthurt? Say, "You're a great gamer. Ban-hammered!"?

edit: and the person below me is saying the other novel I tried, Emperor of Solo Play, also reacts to the MC. So that's 2/2

Mlaser likes this.
  12. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Emperor of Solo Play also has an AI that accelerates/modifies the content release timeline in comparison with the past due to one player's actions.

13. Renzy

Renzy 『⚓』『JackOfAllTrades』『7years』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its because ITS JUST A NOVEL... its not real life... the author can do whatever he likes..

14. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt read any of the CN VR novels so idk how much of what I say comes true.
    AI has loss, its just "im 95% sure that this player cheats" but the AI wont know wether someone cheats or not. Also, does the MC cheat? as you described in the novels he was just using legal means of the games, why would the AI react to it as if it was a cheat?

AI also needs to learn, so it will always have a few years of waiting and looking at what happens before actually doing something :v

Also authors arent scientists you know, they dont know shit xD

User01 likes this.
  15. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    perhaps the AI doesn't care about the MC's shenanigans. as long as there is no hacking going on, it just treats it as exceptional luck or some kind of savant. from its perspective, one player advancing like this may well be within its plotted parameters. in the end the over successful player becomes content in itself.

I am just glad when the AI doesn't become an edgelord trying to encourage mass murder like in Praise the Orc.

User01 likes this.
  16. Dragon Devourer

Dragon Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anything, the AI in these VRMMOs would be happy that someone is shaking things up. You're thinking of them from the wrong angle, maintaining rules and balance are secondary to their goals. Their goals are to make people want to play the games, and the majority of people see someone get awesome and either go "Hey, I want to try that too!" or "Hunh... Neat." If the former then those people might join up hoping to find some glory of their own, big or small. If the latter they either already play as much as they're going to, or weren't going to play in the first place. So to the AI it's less of a problem and more of an exploitable resource, because when you get right down to it someone who manages an mmo is a businessperson first.

gary0044187 likes this.
  17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan was summoned and has arrived! Anyhow, AIs do not care. For every mediocre cheater, there are even worse cheaters. Going after everyone would be a pain in the backside. Therefore, they go for only the most smelly, obnoxious and ugly cheaters and the leave the sweet, handsome and cool cheaters to dominate the server.

18. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I think in uh Reign of the Hunters MC exploits some bug and the GM questions her about it, and MC complains about how players get penalized for exploiting buts instead of reporting them to be fix ??

So to add on, maybe the AI doesn't really come in unless player reports bugs/etc so it doesn't get complicated?

19. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    How to know if they aren't cheating? We know since we are the readers. But what about the AI?

From its view how does the MC knows about secret dungeons and the techniques to cross it? How does it knows where to find the secret treasures? Some of them so out of the way, that they can't be labelled as mere luck! How does MC 'always' manages to prepare for events and contests?

These things can't be labelled as luck. And authors never mention about inquires and investigations.

And talking about attracting players? If the equilibrium itself is skewed, I doubt you would be attracting much players. Unless you give proper answers to the community.

20. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why would it care as long as data hasn't been breached? people solve problems faster than expected all the time, why assume that the MC is hacking and not just someone with great fortune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.