Question Am I the only one? [I Favor the Villainess]

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Lucilius, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Lucilius

Lucilius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I touched on this a little on my blog post but wanted to expand it here. Am I the only one who thinks this line by Claire has a double meaning? Because to me it felt like it did.

“Really, nothing goes as one wishes in life. You can’t even love freely”

Because it felt like Claire said it with a double meaning towards Lene and possibly Rei.

First one is where Claire found out Lene is in love with her own brother, Lambert. Wherein this is what she was pertaining to when she said, "You can't even love freely."

Lambert already broached on that part already saying:

“Love is said to be blind, but we could only see each other too much. Lamenting over the forbidden love, our view became too narrow”

And this situation is the result, said Lambert-sama with pained expression.

That being said their romantic incest is a type of forbidden love even though the family seems to be somewhat okay with it? Then again it wasn't expanded upon nonetheless, from what we can see incest is pretty much just as forbidden there as it is on Earth where Rei came from.

Secondly, while Claire did say that. It could also be a double meaning or alluding to Rei's own situation with Claire herself.

Claire knows Rei is in love with her. Claire isn't stupid, she's pretty sharp as hell. She's been having suspicions on Rei and even Rei admitted at Claire being far too sharp to a point where Rei had to mix both truth and lies just to not have her cover blown. And I don't know if others noticed this but there are like small reactions or details to her that she either doesn't understands yet or does. Those little reactions that can be taken into account as to why I said when she said “Really, nothing goes as one wishes in life. You can’t even love freely” had a double meaning.

Example from Ch 32.

But, at that time I didn’t notice.
    That the amulet was accepted.

And that Claire-sama had a somehow disappointed look on her face.

That small reaction, as if knowing at the same time not knowing. Rei can't freely love Claire because it has major consequences and both them are aware of this. Homosexuality is the obvious one, their status as Nobility and Commoner, and the expectations placed on both of them for being a noble who is expected to lead especially with Claire being the eldest which means high expectations and for Rei who is at the top of her class who is sitting upon a pedestal of a degree because the commoners think she should be the forefront of their movement but nonetheless, she just wants to be with Claire and doesn't really care.

Claire's development from Ch1 to Ch44 is pretty much seen as it is. From a pompous, high esteemed noble to slowly understanding the situation at hand and acting accordingly while still retaining dignified as her position as a noble. I mean look at how she reacted to Lene.

Add to the fact Claire is in love with Sein, with Rei being aware of this and just wants her to be happy, so what happens to Rei's own happiness when Rei is shown to having developments on that neutrality of hers as well.

And we add the kingdom drama as well. Possible wars, etc. etc.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts on the manner. I copy pasted it from my blog post but expanded on it further. Deny or approve of it, it's just my opinion and thoughts on it. Whether I'm thinking too deeply about it is eh.

2. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooor, she could be referring to herself as well. Perhaps there is an issue with her marrying Sein? I know she doesn't hate the MC, and now that Rei is the next best person as a maid, the two will be forced to grow even closer.

There was also that internal speech by Rei about how homosexuality was viewed and that she herself is part of the problem as someone who essentially attacks the one she likes repeatedly. It felt like she 'performed' these acts because she couldn't express her love how she truly wants to. Both sides are expressing themselves in ways they are forced to, not according to their wishes. Thus, they can't love freely.

Lucilius likes this.
  3. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    To add on, this entire story revolves around this way. From the beginning, Rei is trying to cover her knowledge of this world, how she knows so much and can do so much. You also see Claire upset by the incident with the malfunctioning wand and felt upset that the student was let off so easily. Often times Claire will further reiterate herself, repeating things she has already said and it appears to be her keeping up the pretenses.

She is a noble, and while it can be attributed to her upbringing, she has never really done the things we think villainous nobles do. She appears like a haughty and arrogant noble, but when she was defeated by Rei, I don't think she really took it to heart. When she was backed up against the wall in the recent fight against the enemy, she felt grateful to Rei for her assistance. I believe that if she truly needs it, she won't make things difficult for Rei. In fact, she kept up the pretense in that recent scene. Taking advantage of the fact that Rei was being stubborn, she 'allowed' Rei to continue so as to have a momentary respite from her ordeals that she went through.

I truly think that while Rei is skirting around attempting to keep her secret hidden, Claire has her own secret.

Lucilius likes this.
  4. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    That too actually, you made a good point. Thing is with Claire if she ever did also refer to herself as well there will be that internal conflict as well because if from what I can see these possible romantic feelings for Rei if ever there is are things she doesn't know how to better express or react to and thus ends up doing what she usually does. With the factors being status as nobility, the nature of her upbringing, and the environment she was subjected to. And as you said, "It felt like she 'performed' these acts because she couldn't express her love how she truly wants to."

With Rei just.. accepting everything because she can't do anything about the situation. So she just savours on what she can get. Both are outwardly showing human internal and external conflicts which I like and is rare in most novels. Hopefully, they have a good ending in the end.

Cause you can already see Claire having conflicting feelings about everything as is especially now given she's at the most vulnerable of state with Lene gone and she has no one to confide to but Rei herself, given her reactions about the amulet, Rei's feelings to her, etc. and Rei's neutrality about everything is slowly falling apart given as to how she cracked and stopped the sweet moment between Sein and Claire after the Chimera incident.

I don't think there isn't much problem with Sein, to be honest out of all the candidates for the throne I'd prefer Sein. Rod would just bull rush through everything given his attitude in everything around him regardless of his natural ability and smarts, Yuu is too sly and honestly, has a possibility to be abusive if given the right situation, Sein is as said by Rei before is more 'human' in regards to everything.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  5. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    I think so too, given with how Claire acts. Like she already did mention to Rei that she'll be watching her much closer and try to uncover her whether that's because of that intention especially or to keep her close or mix of both is up to others to interpret. I felt like the author is purposely covering Claire's sharpness and smart attitude with her usual antics with Rei. Cause you can get easily distracted by the moment and often forget that Claire isn't just some dumb 'villainess' trope. She is an actual human being who can think things through and outbest her peers except the ones who are actually exceptional in their own degree.

And Rei is well... Rei. She knows everything but at the same time not everything. Take the Chimera incident for example. She knew what WOULD happen but not the unpredicted consequences of it.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  6. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    No, in regards to the thing with Sein, I thought that one of the other two princes may have been selected as her marriage partner or something. You know, some unneeded drama meant to push the side plot of Claire x Sein forward.

But to be honest, Yuu, while sly, is being used as a tool. It is unfortunate, and I hope he isn't actively part of the conspiracy. Rod will probably be seen as the hero prince, with his reckless and athletic personality. Sein will be the tactician/support. Of course, if things turn to war. I hope not. Go back to the yuri love.

Lucilius likes this.
  7. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, you're right there's the possibility with that as well. Taking into accounts all three, knowing Sein, if its him I don't think he'd just push that kind of things to happen just because it's what others wanted given his own personality traits. He might talk it with Claire through and get consent or something along those lines and plan something accordingly with Rei either intervening or helping with the situation. Rod, sure I'd expect that kind of thing from him and considering he is set on Rei and not Claire, possibilities might be low on him. Yuu possibly either Rei or Claire but seems to be leaning more on to Rei but alas nobility and all but so far from what we've seen not much screen time to actually expand on those two's motives were given so that's still up to debate.

Yuu is pretty much unfortunate cause both sides are using him. Nobility being nobility, and commoners with the backings of the church and his own mother's motives to the throne which are still while hinted, currently unknown other wanting him to succeed the throne. Rod, considering what we've read so far, is pretty much leaning towards that route already as is. We already had a taste of how he acts with the Rod VS Misha battle. Sein is yeah but also so-so, if he really is starting to have feelings for Claire while even though little is shown of it, he might be more focused on protecting Claire that or trying to strive to be a King like his dad which he actually wants.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  8. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpensive: this last chapter was a little too on the nose.

So now Claire is actively portraying herself as the maiden choosing between two people and even giving MC a chance, too.

Too obvious and now Rei is shown to be too overcome by jealousy to notice. Hmmm...:hmm: how will this predicament unfurl further?

9. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    True as well but at least it gave us more info about how the world is working to a degree.

Whether that chance will bore fruitation or not. Claire seems to be aware of it somewhat to a degree but is still conscious and confused about it. How she'll play that out is who knows.

Probably unconsciously getting in between the two. There is a review on the novel that on ch 45

it was shown that they were both showing loneliness without the other near.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  10. LNOnlineOtaku

LNOnlineOtaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have a nice theory going on~

*For quest, don't mind me :3*

Lucilius and Evil_Ginger like this.