Question Am I the only one who can't stand a novel of more than 50 chapters?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by soeuwu, Jan 6, 2023.

1. soeuwu

soeuwu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, I have to clarify that I was an avid reader of long novels (+500) and had never read a World Hopping QT

Then a while ago I started reading a lot of QT, with short arcs (15-25) in which the worlds were not connected to each other

A few days ago I tried to read a novel of 100 chapters, I was not able to finish it, I left it in chapter 30-40. So I thought the novel wasn't my taste.

Now I'm reading another novel 100 chapters and I like it a lot but I'm not able to continue, I'm going in chapter 60 and I want to know what's going to happen but I just can't

Is this normal?

2. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno. I read chinese novels so the bare minimum I read is 500 to 600 chapters. After that, the plot becomes trash and I decide to drop. But yeah. Remembering when I started reading, anything above 80 or so chapters, I avoided like the plague. Now, 1000 chapters aren't even a big deal.
    *sigh* I miss the old me.

soeuwu likes this.
  3. Midnight_Dreamscape

Midnight_Dreamscape Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this can be considered normal.

Long novels are nice in how they develop characters and settings really nicely, but character's and their thoughts can seem more repetitive because of the length of the novel. Short novels are great because they are more dialogue and in the moment rather than pages of monologuing and stuff like that. This format is also pretty common nowadays, especially with online novels that people read daily and on their phones quickly.

It could be reading stamina? Like you reduced your reading amount by a lot and can't read the amount you used to be able to. The only comparison I can make is to a scientific study about how tic toc reduced people's attention spans to that of a goldfish by making second long vids. IDK about your habits tho, but amount of reading done in one sitting could also be it? Reading sporadically throughout the day or or reading in large chunks may have a different suitability when it comes to reading long or shorter novels.

I personally have weird habits, where I read the first 20 chapters, then read near the end of the story and go back to where I was while continuously checking future parts of the book and anticipating the scenes while reading normally(if you erase what I said in the last half sentence it would be normal). I kinda live off of spoilers, and they somewhat encourage me to read more. So far, so long as a long novel doesn't have a cringe/extremely awkward/extremely emotional scene, I'll be able to read it well.

Maybe consider rebuilding your reading stamina by slowly increasing the length of novels you are reading(ex. 20 chap -> 40 chap -> 60 chap -> 80 chapter etc etc)

soeuwu and lohwengk like this.
  4. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    If it becomes dogshit in 50 chapters I drop it. A lot of the times an author starts out with a really good hook which gets me interested, but their writing sucks so I get turned off.
    I do drop things a lot more often these days though because my standards have grown a lot higher. Less time to read, and branching out into other mediums of reading with higher qualities of writing seem to be the causes.
    As for whether it's normal, I completely think so. I've never lost my drive for reading webnovels even though my tasted have changed.

mir and soeuwu like this.
  5. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Someitmes, I don't want to finish reading a story. Hence I drop it, so I can reread it again in the future.

soeuwu likes this.
  6. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    I seldom choose a work with fewer than 100 chapters. I'm always afraid that if I truly enjoy it, I'll swallow it in one sitting, leaving me with nothing else to read.

If I find a novel I like, I can read nearly 200 chapters in a day; but, if I'm looking for something to read, I read 2-50 chapters and then abandon it in quest of something more intriguing.

I like both world-hopping novels and novels with long stories.

The only short stories I accept are horror stories.

I used to devour creepy pasta/ horror tale type of stories.

soeuwu likes this.
  7. Djie

Djie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its normal, a lot of us experience this too. it take time to get used to binge reading thousand chaptered novels, and usually at the start when the passion is still new we manage to read 300+ chaptered novels. but when you get used to short arcs as you've said, its gonna be a different story. you get used to hoe they manage to resolve the issue and end the story in fast paced way. or just not incredibly slow and too much problems since that's what usually makes novels longer.

it could also be a attention problem, but thats normal too. when you're not really grossed in reading the novel, you always get conscious of the chapters. meanwhile when you're really focused you won't even noticed that its been days and noe you've finished a 500 chaptered novel. which is normal for new readers, and when you get used to it just like anime watchers you also dont manage to complete seasons in a day. losing interest after that amount of chapters is also normal.

in general i dont mean to say normal too much but what you're experiencing is not as scary as it might be. its just hoe our mind works, if you conditioned it to read in short amount (25-30) chapters then it get used to it then 100+ chapters became foreign.

8. GloomyBall

GloomyBall Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the opposite experience. I was someone who only read novels with few chapters. Not until I read a really good novel with more than 10 volumes. Now, i still read short novels but generally, the ones that get my attention are long novels.

9. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's normal . I guess you get bored.
    It happened with me too. At start I could even read novel of 5000 chapters that too qidaan ones. Now I can't even read one with 100 chapters. Almost 60 chapters is my limit.
    Even web series I can't watch them whole usually leave it after few chaps.

10. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    youre evolving brother.

This sint a "certain amount of chapters" problem.

Youre noticing a trend and have trained yourself to avoid those trends.

These stories that your reading probably have a few things in common with each other that your brain has probably learned to avoid.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's quite common for long novels to be full of filler and just feel overall underwhelming.

It's not something that happens to every novel, of course, but the longer the novel is, the bigger the chances of it being bad are.

So yeah, preferring short novels is perfectly normal, since the chances of them being full of filler are minimal~

12. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think everyone has a length that they prefer. For example, I cannot read a whole 20+ chapter arc only for the main character to gain the equivalent of 1 skill point.

13. Catshead

Catshead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it varies from novel to novel. Recently I've been reading more western novels, one of which I finished in a week, the other I ended up dropping after 2 weeks. Both were relatively short, 700-800 pages, but the second one I found myself thinking that it was far too long despite having read 1000+ ch novels in the past. At the same time web novels under 200 chapters have started to feel like not enough.

When you read enough of a certain kind of novel you start to have expectations for the length and story. Call it reader's experience, I've learned to expect that decent historical web novels should be around 200+ ch, apocylase should be 300+ etc. At the end of the day it's all down to preference and past experience.