Discussion Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Trusfrated_Bunny, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Trusfrated_Bunny

Trusfrated_Bunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm 19 years old and I still can't distinguish between my left and right. Like I know where they are but I can't get which side is which when someone suddenly asks me out of nowhere, and I see that most people instantly know which is which. Am I just stupid? Probably. But above all of this, what ticks me off the most is when people ask me direction in east-west terms. Like, dude, I don't know my left and right but you expect me to know east-west?! Really?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, same here. But luckily, I have learnt to distinguish between my left and right hand, so whenever I have to go in a specific direction, I just point with the requisite hand and proceed in the direction thus shown. It may feel stupid, but it works.

3. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    You're probably not the only one. Here's an interesting talk that cites how the way we orient ourselves and give directions is affected by language/context.

4. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m able to distinguish my right hand from my left hand but east and west are a different thing.

5. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I live in a valley with north-south mountain ranges on both sides, so pretty much everybody knows where east or west is with a moment's thought. It's nice. Really easy to give directions.

Trusfrated_Bunny likes this.
  6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    simple, right hand and left hand for the right and left.
    est = from where the sun rise, west from where the sun set.(not precise, but it's all i need to know)

7. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh same
    I was driving and my mom was like take a left, I took a right and we ended up 1 hour late

8. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s quite unfortunate that the second tip is useless when it’s cloudy or night

Trusfrated_Bunny and Iruma666 like this.
  9. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no problems with left or right but east and west all the time. I used to live in a place where a mountain range was to the west and it was so much easier. now when someone says "go east at the light" I always ignore it and ask "left or right?"

10. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have trouble remembering left and right in Chinese. No problem with English.

Your other left is a phrase. Perhaps for comedy or perhaps enough to be noted and added into comedy.

11. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's something to wrap your head around, right side of body is controlled by the left side of the brain while left side of body is controlled by the right side of the brain. Honestly, knowing which eye you're looking through can easily dictate what your left and right is.

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Takes me a second sometimes, but I can always figure it out by thinking of a controller.

13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, there are not that many reason to need to know your right and left super quick. It should be OK to take a second to figure it out.
    I have the same problem with lefty loose to righty tighty. Especially, when it’s under or behind things. Than sometimes it’s the reverse. When I’m doing some plumbing work or laying gas line. It becomes a headache.
    As to East and West. Simple. Sun rises in the east. Now determining North and South. Now this will be difficult because you need to know your left from your right. Just remember the East is on your right side and West is on your left. Than you’ll be facing North and behind you is South.
    Unfortunately, in my old career. I needed to know left and my right super quick. When sailing in US coastal waters. You need to know which side of a buoy you need to be. Sometimes the buoy could be half submerged or if there’s fog out. Than SOL. Most ships can’t turn on a dime. So when you see a last minute flash of red. You better know which side to be on. Or bad things could happen. I’ve heard of many ships getting into accidents. Like going a ground and if your an oil tanker. You just flooded a river or a coastline with crude oil. Kill many animals and ruining large stretches of the environment.
    It’s bad enough if your driving a car, but imagine a super tanker stuck on a reef.
    At least that’s what I think

14. Suoh95

Suoh95 King

Reading List:
    Link
    Fap hand, other hand.

15. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It just takes practice, you're probably too reliant on someone's help when it comes to direction. I'm the youngest so it also took me longer than neccessary to distinguish my L & R.

16. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I pinch my pencil-holding hand and remember that's where right is.

17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably a brain issue. It's okay. Lots of people have trouble with it. I've also had to consciously teach myself to react promptly to directions, and it took a while. I just associated with the heart position to make it easier. But overall, I'm always directionally challenged. I need to have google maps open to navigate in my own city when I'm away from my familiar routes because I'll immediately forget how to go back the way I came.

"Numerous studies have reported that women believe they are more susceptible to left-right confusion than men. Indeed, some studies have also found sex differences in behavioural tasks. It has been suggested that women have more difficulties with left-right discrimination, because they are less lateralised than men and a lower degree of lateralisation might lead to more left-right confusion (LRC). However, those studies reporting more left-right confusion for women have been criticised because the tasks that have been used involved mental rotation, a spatial ability in which men typically excel. In the present study, 34 right-handed women and 31 right-handed men completed two behavioural left-right discrimination tasks, in which mental rotation was either experimentally controlled for or was not needed. To measure the degree of hemispheric asymmetry participants also completed a dichotic listening test. Although women were not less lateralised than men, both tasks consistently revealed that women were more susceptible to left-right confusion than men. However, only women with a significant right ear advantage in the dichotic listening test had more difficulties in LRC tasks than men. There was no sex difference in less lateralised participants. This finding suggests that the impact of functional verbal asymmetries on LRC is mediated by sex." - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19100970/

Baldingere likes this.
  18. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    that is stupid question, as long you lived in a place for 1 day you can easily remember where the sun rise or fall. no one live only in the night or when cloudy.

19. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    And the night sky and the sun also have an effect on the clouds that make things cloudy. For how is it that you can see on a cloudy day~

Right, FAP Hand. Especially the FAP Hand from Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School.

20. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I can tell my left and right hand. But for directions I'm lost, even with the help of google sometimes..