Discussion An evaluation of dropped novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fan2zz, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyuna

Alyuna Tactical Dove, Best Birb

Reading List:
    Link
    The rules are a bit complicated and doesn't give anything to the translator. If you want more chapters or prevent your favourite webnovels to be dropped, please consider to support the translator.

In my opinion this rules only gives more burden to translators, they are translating for free/hobby. There are no deadlines for'em and they translate whenever they want, not whenever they can. A simple 3 months rule is enough for most translation

TL;DR I disagree with op's opinion

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    Baka.
    You want to enforce rules?
    Why would people follow rules that nobody would punish them for?
    Or do you want nuf to boycot them as punishment?
    But why would they there is simply no benefit in doing that.

AliceShiki and strayCat0 like this.
  3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, 99.9% of translator, or a member of translation group DO HAVE n-u account and subsequently, nuf account. it is only that you didn't know who they are, or what their nickname on nuf is. >.>

even on these two pages, there are already translator(s) mixed in. <.<

4. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality is nice, but just because you take weeks to do one chapter doesn't mean its high quality. I like that it says even just one chapter a week, or 10 over three months is okay.

5. Kahzel

Kahzel [Translator of pure fluffyness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol we translators are doing it mostly for fun and for the community. Contrary to some other people we also have a to learn for university (or school in other cases) and have an additional job to pay the student fees and rent...
    And have a girlfriend that needs some attention too.
    And at last maybe we want to read some other translated novels too?

6. 12

12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: I speak from a translator's point of view. I was quite amused by your suggestions so don't take this in the wrong spirit. It's an interesting discussion :)
    Your rules strike me as being a tad prescriptive and halfway through, I found myself thinking: you want a lot for something being done for free. (I don't include those which solicit and accept donations).
    I have no opinion on the three-month rule. If the community needs some kind of base timeline, then I guess it works fine if only because it's easy to remember.
    Ideally, translators/groups should notify their readers if they need to go on a break and not just disappear without a word but people are people and not everyone is organised or even thinks it necessary to say anything. Over time it will become obvious if the project is going to be continued or just moulder. I think if translators were more upfront about this, there would be less room for misunderstandings.
    My view is that if there's absolutely no update after 7 months (not even a note to say the hiatus is continuing), then the project is open to others. Whoever takes over continues where it was left off. Translated chapters should be left alone or work something out with the original translator. If not, retranslate them.
    If the original translator wants to resume the project, they can. But how many will expend time and effort if someone else is already doing it? There may only be a few occasions where it happens.

Raneday, Fan2zz, _Selutu_ and 4 others like this.
  7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Problem is you're also only a leecher and not a TL.
    Most of the TL's here arent paid or just doing this because they like "SHARING" what they have. The donations are for helping them for simple necessities like food or payments for electricity.

I'd rather have a TL who loves the story than an MTL which is causing my non-native english be more problematic.

If you have a problem on a project which is on the verge of going 3months then wait for that 3months, ask the TL if hes/shes still planning to continue and if not then put up a pick up request.

The world isnt easy as it looks like.

8. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh such ridiculous rules. Translators do it because they like the series and on their free time and now you want to enforce rules on people who does it for free? What kind of weed are you smoking kiddo?

9. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it easier to impose a rule on your own personal reading habits?

"Only read completely translated novels".
    Boom. Problem solved. Now all the novels you read will meet your standards.

edit:
    Well... ok, maybe that was too much obnoxious.

But here's some a point I'd like to make.

What is considered inactive in NU has no relation to what translators do. It's just a rule so the pick-up requests part of the forum isn't flooded. And it's just a general guideline.
    Translators can choose to translate active translations, or even completed translations. So all these criteria would be moot even if we all agree upon it, anyways...

10. Alyuna

Reading List:
    Link
    Wise words my fellow nuffian, wise word . . .

May the op reach enlightenment with your wisdom

lucjanssens, AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  11. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 3 month rule is good enough for most people. You must remember that most tls do this in their spare time. A lot of them do not make money off translations. I honestly think that imposing rules such as above will hurt our NU community instead of helping it.
    Please do not even add this matter to what qidian is doing. Everybody knows that quidian intends to monetize and milk our NU community for all its worth.
    I dont know about others, but for me NU has always been about free and independent tls, fans and readers.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are unhappy start translating yourself.
    Fan translators aren't professionnal translators so they have no obligation to deliver chapters when you want them (unless they explicitely accept donations in exchange for chapters, then that's a trade they asked for and have to fullfill as long as they received money).
    They translate novels to read them, and are nice enough to share them online for fellow leach.. Readers. So don't try to force unto them your reading schedule. They have lives (studies, family, work, and a lot of other stuff) and it's normal that they don't prioritize uploading translations over anything especially if it's for ungratfull people.
    I also don't think that they own any translating right to the novel they translate. If somebody else want to translate it then so be it it's not poaching as the novel has never been their in the first place. Just as impatient leachers have to admit that what they do is fan translation, they have to accept that what they do is fan translation. They don't own the exclusive translating right to the original novel, their translated text is their own and that's all (and I wish horrible things to happen (nope, worst things than what you though of right now) to those who try to make money by stealing free translations).

.. Now... Where is that unlike button ?

13. nyuu1224

nyuu1224 Heaven's Grip System Engineer

Reading List:
    Link
    Simplify man. So Normal people can understand. Damn it

14. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I thought that was good enough

15. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    As a translator, your proposed rules made me spank a cat in anger. Who are you to propose rules to us? Make your own team and propose your own rules to your own team. Just because you want free stuff, don't expect everyone else to bend over backwards to accomodate you. Remember, all these translations, apart from those with translation license and written permissions, are illegal.

We translate and share because we want to. We did not share because we are obliged to give people (who do not support the authors in any way) free stuff. All my translations were with permission from the author, but under the rule that I'm not making money with it. I'm doing this on my free time. I do not have free time right now.

Inefficient? Why the heck must translators be efficient for your needs? Commission a translation if you want it delivered to your schedule, with real money. I don't accept commissions on novels but there are plenty who do.

Yes, I'm pissed. This thread has ruined my appetite and I was looking forward to that gyudon.

16. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    riajuu detected!

[​IMG]

17. nyuu1224

nyuu1224 Heaven's Grip System Engineer

Reading List:
    Link
    You're being mean and in the mean time what the hell do you mean?

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Alyuna

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that a pun?

runsing and Wujigege like this.
  19. Kahzel

Kahzel [Translator of pure fluffyness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha
    *Explodes*

runsing and Aiiee like this.
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh those who follow 3 month rule act cuz goodwill ~ it just an agreement without real force beside get sneered~ boo!
    yup~ sound pretty good~

AliceShiki and runsing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.