Forgotten Title Ancient China setting, father willing to die with stepmother

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by FormerlyHel, Jul 2, 2019.

1. FormerlyHel

FormerlyHel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's three scenes I remember but not sure if it's the same story or not but am searching for all three stories. All were set in ancient China and female protagonist married into royalty.

1) Solved: Husband, Be A Gentleman. MC was daughter of first wife, first wife died, father either married or raised his true love to be the second wife. MC hated the stepmother, either because she killed her mother or abused her. In the end, MC or ML managed to put crimes on stepmother's head and had the father to present the white silk and poison to the stepmother. Stepmother turned crazy, the house caught fire, and the father stayed with his true love and died together in the fire.

2) Solved: Eight Treasure Trousseau. ML is a prince, and one of his rival to the throne is another prince (either half brothers or just titled prince). Both has wife and MC and the opponent's wife didn't really like each other but when the rival prince caused his wife to miscarry, the wife came to MC and willingly revealed all her husband's plots as an act of revenge.

3) Might be the above wife. The rival prince and wife got into argument and she was divorced. Her scholar family tried to sue the rival prince but ended up wasting their money and the whole clan was dissatisfied with the ex-wife.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Eight Treasures Trousseau. You're mostly right but the schemer behind the miscarriage was related to another different prince (a cousin and the emperor's son).

The third one sounds a little like the later parts of To Be A Virtuous Wife but only a little so it's probably not it.

3. FormerlyHel

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished rereading TBVW, which was why I got annoyed because I kept expecting the scenes that I wrote above but something else happened instead.

In TBVW, the ex-wife's family didn't retaliate towards the husband prince, just schemed to annoy MC and ML with petty things.

The ex-wife's family in the scene I remembered, were famous scholar and unable to accept that the husband prince slighted/divorced the ex-wife and rallied everything to sue the prince causing the family to lose wealth, and face and maybe even caused the ex-wife's father to get sick. Then the other family members who felt that the ex-wife is being a burden to them and caused ruin to the household treated her badly.

4. FormerlyHel

Reading List:
    Link
    It's about time for a reread.

Sabruness likes this.
  5. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    ...the only one I can name where the Prince divorced his wife was TBVW. But, at the same time this scene sounds familiar.

6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you find out what it is, bump me cause im always on the lookout for good stories like TBAVW and ETT.

FormerlyHel likes this.
  7. FormerlyHel

Reading List:
    Link
    I suspect it's the novel that I also had forgotten the title of, where the MC and the ML knew each other during childhood and ML proposed and married MC because he knew MC was an unfavored daughter and that MC either hated/scared of him. That, or he just wanted to annoy MC because MC portrayed herself to be a 'sheep' in public in order to marry a normal person when he knew she's not.

8. sherry90

sherry90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2nd is indeed 8TT but the 3rd one I have read and truly remember that part but I forgot what novel it was...

FormerlyHel likes this.
  9. sherry90

sherry90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This one is My husband is a black belly? But the title has the word husband and black belly. To make easier to find novel why don't tick josei and search in completed high rated novel. You will find all the good romance historical novels there...

FormerlyHel likes this.
  10. Sruthi Gudivada

Sruthi Gudivada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FormerlyHel likes this.
  11. FormerlyHel

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I do believe that's the title... Or did have those two words.

12. FormerlyHel

Reading List:
    Link
    I do love the story and am planning to read from chapter one later but am hesitant to do so because I really hate the chapters after the
    wedding arc and the weird monk stuff
    and I stopped reading it. But the earlier arcs are amazing. Maybe I'll give it a go after I finished rereading 8TT and the black belly husband.