Oneshot And what if I can't? What if I'm not worthy of her ideals?

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Ignisphere, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Ignisphere

Ignisphere Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone. I've written a story based on a song's title. Or perhaps the song itself. I couldn't remember at all as I found this fiction inside my old back-up HDD. Honestly I didn't even play the game.

This story can also be read at my blog.

The title was based on the following song:

Synopsis
    : After countless losses, the alliance of countries could finally triumph over the demon army. This story tells a small tale of a small group of so-called 'heroes' after a significant war had been won by the alliance.

Genre: Fantasy

Table of Contents:

2. Ignisphere

Ignisphere Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And what if I can't? What if I'm not worthy of her ideals?

One night after an exhausting battle.

A small group consisted of heroes appointed by the Alliance gathered around a small bonfire. You guys have done well defeating them until now. So please, take some break. The Allied Army’s commander had told them such beforehand. Unable to find a quiet place to rest, they decided to detach themselves from the festivities within the camp and enjoy the bonfire leisurely.

“But why does it feel so depressing here, I wonder?” asked the Female Magician, vacantly staring at the bonfire.

The Male Cleric answered, “Well, we’ve been constantly on alert for the past few years. Telling us that we need to rest is just like saying that they might not need us anymore.”

Silence ensued. For a moment, only the crowd at the camp and the crackling noise of firewood could be heard.

“But,” the Female Swordsman replied. She showed a bitter smile while continued, “we don’t have much choice, did we? If we don’t go, many lives will be reaped. We’ve already lost our home. What awaits us beyond this perpetual war might be glory or emptiness. Isn’t that right, leader?”

The Leader, which had closed his eyes, replied, “Yeah, that might be so.”

“But why? If the demons perish, wouldn’t peace finally come to the Alliance?” asked the Female Magician.

The Leader smiled bitterly. As long as he remembered, there wasn’t a single era where human lived peacefully without reason. Humans would always find something to be disputed, whether it was territory, resources, or even things like women and pride. Unless a common enemy for humanity emerged, they would always be warring against each other.

“Do you think the Alliance would let us live peacefully and happily ever after, Via?” the Male Cleric asked bitterly.

Via, the Female Magician, tilted her head. “Well, they should be, right? We’ve done enormous things normally impossible, after all.”

“You might be right, only if this world is a utopia,” the Leader responded. “I believe that when all of this is over, you guys will become your home country’s war potential to threaten the others,” he continued.

Via pouted. “But I don’t want to kill people. It’s a horrible thing to do…”

“You did kill people though.” retorted the Female Swordsman.

“Hey! They are demons, not human! I won’t even regard them as people! You should know it better, right Cya?” responded Via explosively to the Female Swordsman, Cya. Both of them were born and grew in the same village. When they were on their early teens, they lost everything due to the demon invasion reached their village. You might count them lucky to have survived something that might be relevant to be called a stampede, but for them, losing everything means that they didn’t have anything to cling to anymore. At that time the Leader was dispatched to end the stampede and coincidentally found those two under the village ruins. He brought them to the frontier camp and reluctantly became their guardian.

While the two girls arguing to each other, the Male Cleric signaled the Leader to talk. They’ve just gotten up when Cya inquired, “Where are you guys going?”

“We’re going to ask the guards to bring some warm fur for us to sleep,” replied the Male Cleric. “Don’t worry, it won’t be long,” he continued.

“Mmmkay, don’t leave us here for too long you hear me, Leyn?”

“I know, but you guys will probably come out unscratched even against a dragon,” retorted the Male Cleric, Leyn.

Cya pouted. “We’re feeble, you know?”

“If splitting adamantium bare-handed is feeble, I think humanity right now is definitely doomed,” replied Leyn. Beside him, the Leader let out a stifled laugh.

“Alright, alright. We’ll be right back. Cya, protect Via, okay?” the Leader decided to interject the three’s banter.

“Got it.”

Leyn and the Leader walked to the camp direction quietly. After a few moments, Leyn asked, “So, will you do what we’ve proposed to you last week, Serix?”

The Leader, Serix, stopped. “I don’t think I’m up for it.”

“Why?”

“Teaching three of you was fine because it's only three. More than that and I might get overwhelmed,” he sighed weakly.

Unconvinced, Leyn pressed once more, “And the real reason?”

Serix closed his eyes. “Do you remember when I say that I need to go to the demon’s territory?”

Leyn nodded. “What’s the connection between this and that, though?” he asked.

Serix contemplated a bit and then answered, “I’m currently searching for my own kin. Let’s just say it’s a family member. She should be in the demon’s domain right now, although there is a chance that my prediction missed.”

Leyn frowned. “And what of it?”

Serix continued, “When I found her, it will probably become a death match between me and her. And with my current strength, my chance of winning against her is more or less fifty-fifty.”

“And why do you need to kill her?”

“I don’t need to kill her, but if I don’t come with the intention to kill, I might get killed instead,” he retorted.

Leyn shut his mouth for a moment. He admitted that he didn’t know much about his party leader, except that Serix is a really powerful magician and tend to avoid human settlements. He also knew that Serix was not a human due to the person himself told the three long ago. Decided that continuing pressing the matter was insensitive, he changed the subject, “Then, if you do survive against your sister, would you consider it?”

“Why don’t you do it then, Leyn? You have the charisma, and I think your skill is good enough to become a tutor.”

Leyn lowered his head. “But what if I can’t?”

“Then all you need to is just to keep those two happy, Leyn, “ replied Serix.

“I…” Leyn faltered. “I don’t think I’m worthy enough to make them happy…”

“Then increase your worth. A rough diamond is still a diamond. Polishing it will bring its radiance. That’s what I did for the past few years, you know?”

Leyn fell silent. Seeing that, Serix continued, “I might not be around you in the future, and humanity had depended on me far too long. It’s about time for humanity to stand on its own feet. I’ve given you guys the necessary foundation. The only thing missing piece is your own will. If you don’t want to do it, so be it. But if you want to do it, you might be able to at least prolong the peace.”

All you need was your own will. Of course, Leyn instinctively knew it. He knew but he looked away from that. To obtain a perpetual peace was no easy task and Leyn knew it the most. Having everything robbed by both demons and humans, he grew a grudge against both. The thing that holding him back was his grudge, which was why he wanted to switch that responsibility to his own leader and teacher. But as expected, his teacher saw through it all.

He bit his lips. He wanted to run from all of his responsibility. As a chosen brave. As a master clergyman. As a competent healer.

As a human.

He thought that humans and demons should just destroy each other for eternity. But after years of living with both Revia and Cyaris, his frozen heart warmed a bit. He thought of the girls as his own sisters, and he does wished for their happiness. Even if that happiness came from the survival of humanity, he would help them realize it.

Until they proposed to strengthen humanity by opening a large-scale training group.

He might have agreed on the surface, but deep down inside, he strongly against it. He knew that after this war ends, humans would war against each other again. There was no need for them to strengthen the human.

But, he finally got his resolve.

That is, to give both Revia and Cyaris happiness. And it took him quite some time to realize that.

“Thanks, master.”

Serix scratched his head, “Well, don’t mention it.”

And thus, they continued to do what they initially have to do, and welcomed with a sight of two girls sleeping sticking to each other. Serix and Leyn exchanged glances, and the smiled.

I definitely won’t let them die. Leyn swore while covering the girls with the warm fur.

It was truly a soothing, relaxing night for the braves and their master.

Deleted member 155674 and Lynx like this.
  3. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, is the purpose of posting this primarily to share your work or are you looking for feedback on it?

4. Ignisphere

Ignisphere Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both, I guess. I'm not quite sure where to gain feedback on a oneshot story as short as this, and my blog is dead so... yeah, both.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the story but in my opinion, the story(Although I like it :blobokhand:) but it doesn't reflect the song (at least the feeling I get from the the song isn't the same as that from the story or maybe I just become too used to drama and sad stories in fantasy that I became unable to feel genral description without actual depiction of pain :hmm:)
    Somehow the story seems like a prologue to a fantasy hentai (the kind like himekishi olivia or perhaps Kuroinu: Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru or more like Dragon Pink :blobconfused:? well, I am not sure exactly but that kind of hentai) than an anime (well there is a great chance that it might turn out to be something like Record of Lodoss War I believe :hmm:) either way, it is full of potential so yeah it is good :blobsmilehappy: