Android screen not responding

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Jojo775, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Two days ago my sreen occasionally stopped responding. It's some xiao mi about 4 years old I think(second hand) 8.0 oreo OS.
    I mostly use it for reading so I scroll a lot, in the middle of scrolling it stops responding about 3 times a day.
    This includes all virtual keys, the menu, the return button, the reboot button when you hold the power button.
    Physical buttons work so I just hold the power button until it restarts and then it works fine for hours.
    Is it just old and glitchy? I don't install any apps.

2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    I suspect bug on firmware. Just to be sure bring it to check the hardware.

3. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but, if you don't gave us specification of the model, we pleb will have to run a blind guess.
    Here is my answer. I'm not professional in fix this kind of stuff, but DO have some expereiences with these kind of thing:
    - Ols phone that have low specs. This kind of problem occur when your phone is under 2GB of RAM and current apps is optimize for newer models. Try to close recent apps that you're not using and keep at most 5 regularlly used one on standby, though as if there is sh!t tons of apps running in the background to begin with...
    - If your model is from 2017 or newer, chances are bloatware just took too much of space. Try to reset those apps to default setting if you don't intend to use them anytime soon. That should reduce burden on your RAM.
    - High chances are, hardware is malfunction. You should brought them to nearby trusted phone-fixing serveice to see where the problem lies. And before doing so, you should back up data to avoid loses.
    That is my suggestion. Feel free to use them as refrences.

Arkus86 likes this.
  4. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

dhRPGamer, Arkus86 and PotatoZero like this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have an OTG cable? Or maybe a bluetooth mouse? See if its just the digitizer or the UI hanging on you.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  6. asaade

asaade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont use chrome as your browser, android chrome sucks a lot it eats a lot of space and memory

7. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i've had my phone do that occasionally during some of the games i play, or even just on the home screen. only button that did anything was power, and even that just turned the screen on and off. didn't even bring me to the locked screen like it should have. a hard reboot with the power + volume buttons was the only way i found to get it working again. i just wrote it off as an instability they intentionally introduced with a sneaky update to try pushing me to upgrade.

Wujigege and Jojo775 like this.
  8. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    idk if this will help but I did a quick search of the problem and this was one of the solutions that came up https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/403472/phone+touch+screen+wont+work

it could be corrupted memory or apps, a factory restore might be in order. if you go this route ensure your photos, videos, and other important files you might have saved are backed up

9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude all I have is chrome running on Mi 5, quad 1.8GHz 3GB RAM, 21GB free memory

10. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked up your phone on the Xda Forums and one of the solutions suggested was slightly loosening certain screws in the back cover, but I would suggest trying some of the other solutions from the link I posted earlier before doing this. because the screws in question seem to be behind the warranty sticker. and I can't guarantee the efficacy of the fix.
    XDA Post

earlier posted link

the earlier link isn't for your specific phone but some of the solutions could still help.

Jojo775 likes this.
  11. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    What screws XD, it doesn't have any, I can't open the back. It's one of those with batteries you cannot change when it get old but have to buy a new phone, which is stupid but a lot of phones are like this now. I heard there are some battery changing kits but I don't have that.

12. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    damn, when I searched your problem and the phone you listed that is all that came up, sorry. all I can suggest then would be to do a factory reset after backing up and hope for the best. if could be as simple as corrupted data or apps or as complicated as a hardware issue.

it's possible if you posted on XDA or some other android or XiaoMi specific forum you could get back better or more specific answers, sorry I can't be of more help.

Jojo775 likes this.
  13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan would like to cut through uninvited like a peanut butter against knife.

Ai-chan has a tablet. It's a China-made tablet with no brand. Basically cheap stuff. Now Ai-chan's problem is that 1/3 of the screen isn't responding. The display works fine, but this particular region doesn't respond to touch. Almost the entire left part of the screen is not responding to touch input. It's like the receptor there all died or something. If Ai-chan needs to touch anything on the left part, Ai-chan needs to turn the tablet around so that the part that Ai-chan needs to touch ends up on the right side.

Does anyone know how to fix it? The warranty is a factory warranty and it has already expired a year ago.

It's most likely the exact same thing as this one

14. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, this is an odd one, the way you describe it makes me think hardware issue such as the screen itself or possibly the digitizer. some quick things to try would be to try removing any screen protectors as they can occasionally interfere with the touch ability of screens, another would be to calibrate the touch screen. there might be something in your display settings that would allow you to calibrate it. if not there are a few apps you can download that would calibrate the screen and doing a factory reset on the tablet should also recalibrate the screen.

edit: part of my response didn't save in Grammarly..go figure

if that doesn't work then you'll need to replace either the screen and/or the digitizer. (this is cheaper to do yourself but easy to fuck up something if you're not well versed in repairing tablets and phones) there are also many stores that might offer help on this kind of work. you would have to check your local area for tablet and phone repair stores.

edit 2: yeah I did some more looking on the internet and general consensus is either some connections have come loose or the digitizer is broken.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Ai chan likes this.
  15. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    The real question is why do you have a tablet? It's a toy, if you need to get something done you use phone for communication, gaming or reading novels and laptop/desktop for work. Tablet is like something in between a phone and laptop, worst of both worlds, an useless gadget. Sry but it's the truth, rant over.

16. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it is possible that sensors in a part of the screen died. The only solution would be to replace the screen. I would try to do a factory reset first and see if that solve it. Otherwise, Ai chan should bring it to a repair shop and replace the screen.

Ai chan and Traveling Chef like this.
  17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it sounds to me like it's just freezing. Do a factory reset and see if that helps... If you didn't update your phone, try updating it. Another option is to try an open-source android os, such as LineageOS. This is the problem with phones - developers think that they have all the hardware power they need and write bloated crap apps that take much more ram than they need. And then you phone screen freezes...
    it could also be a problem with the hardware, but I think it's unlikely. Probably just bloatware and other crap freeze your phone

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Tablet is useful when you're on the bed and still wants to get some work done. Laptop is far too heavy and will eventually be damaged if you keep putting in on the bed due to the heat retention. Since Ai-chan is regularly on the bed, it works out. Plus, a laptop is too bulky to be bringing around everywhere. A 10.1 inch tablet can easily fit inside a handbag while still having a big enough screen.

Jojo775, Traveling Chef and dhRPGamer like this.
  19. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that makes sense, then again most people if they can carry a tablet they'd have no trouble carrying a laptopt either. Neither fits in a pocket and probably they have room in the bag. So we come to what kind of bag, if it's typical women's bag then sure only a mini laptop would fit, however why would guys wear those or bags just for tablets when they can wear laptop briefcase that can also fit notebooks and trinkets. Does this come to male vs female thing?
    There are also light and small laptops if your work is just writting documentation or something like that, if work requires a lot of computer resources due to applications like IDE's then neither tablet or a light laptop are good.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  20. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    if I can weigh in, I use a tablet for multiple things mostly as a Netflix device because my phone is a bit small to watch movies and tv shows on it, not to mention I have large dumb fingers that make navigating on my phone more of a chore then on a tablet, and my laptop has become more of a dedicated desktop than a laptop (desktop blew some time back and I just couldn't be arsed to fix it...again [I built the thing so its probably my fault]) so my laptop sits plugged in with the battery removed on a desk.

the tablet I have isn't super powerful it's a cheap little 30$ tab I got off amazon but it works great for watching youtube or Netflix in bed or if the TV is being used by others of my household. it also works surprisingly well as a diagnostic machine for on the go repairs and simple fixes( I do under the table computer repair).

a tablet is much lighter than a laptop and while not super powerful as computers go most tablets offer the general user enough to do the basics such as email, internet browsing, Netflix, youtube, etc.

while a phone is just as convenient for those kinds of things for people with poor/bad eyesight or just getting up in age it can be hard to do things on the relatively small screens phones have compared to tablets.
    then there is the fact that if you are using an Android phone it is just easier to use an Android tablet instead of a laptop because of the integrated google functionality. you can simply add your google account to your tablet and most of your passwords and login info is saved to your individual account. same for if you are using an iPhone, it's just easier to have an Apple tablet you can connect and have all your info centralized to one account.

as for the bag, they make drop-proof slipcases for tablets now so you wouldn't need a bag. you would just hold it in hand. which might SOUND inconvenient but ultimately a tablet and slipcase weigh a fraction of nearly all laptops and laptop bags. so it would require less work to carry a tablet than a laptop.

and I had to replace a fan in my laptop because of this exact situation, I was using it in bed or on the couch laying down, and because the fan and vents were blocked it fried my fan. this was an older model Toshiba and let me tell you, replacing that fan shorten my life expectancy. newer models you can mostly go through the bottom to replace the fan but, no not this model I had to go through the bottom, remove screws to remove the keyboard on top, then I had to basically remove the entire motherboard and its connectors to everything(without breaking anything I might add), and then I could replace the fan. the whole process took 4 hours of my life and cost me the wifi module on the laptop because I pulled ever so slightly too hard and the antennae (that I couldn't even see) for the wifi broke and I ended up having to use a USB wifi stick.

while you CAN use an external USB fan device that will A. add more weight to the laptop. and B. take up one of the few USB slots on the device, not to mention most laptops have an issue with outputting too much power to your USB's s if you have a keyboard and mouse plugged in you might not have enough power to run that fan.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019