Discussion Annoying Parts of Good Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HappyHavak, Apr 2, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a thread I made so people have a place to rant about parts of their favorite novels they don't like. I'll start off:

I just finished reading all the chapters of Supremacy Games on Webnovel and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Sure there were so grammer issues but nothing that was immersion breaking or unreadable. The only real thing that annoyed in it that popped up continuously was when the MC unlocks new abilities. The author does that thing where they won't say what the ability is until the MC uses it to reverse whatever unwinnable situation he's in. This bugs me because I view it as a poor attempt at cleverness and building tension and mystique. Because rather than giving the MC an ability that we can see him experiment with and use in clever and intresting ways, all I see is a lack of tension since I know that the MC will inevitably pull the perfect ability out of his butt to solve his problems. This is far less exciting than watching him struggle with unsuitable/janky powers and using his brains and experience to triumph regardless.

So there it is, I don't know if this bugs other people as much as it bugs me but I wanted to get it off my chest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.