Discussion Annual Leave~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by akki, May 22, 2022.

1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo~

I just saw a TikTok video about annual leave in America that’s got me shocked and I gotta ask any Americans here if it’s true. And of course to see how much annual people get around the world.

TikTok video~

According to this vid Americans get only 1 week of annual leave per year. Is this true? Cos that’s sad if is. I’m guessing it depends on where/who you work for. But in general it’s 1 week per year? It’s just working if this is real. Let me know people.

Here in England, where I work it’s 25 working days (5 weeks) annual leave and I get bank holidays off. Not sure how many there are in the year. And the annual leave does increase if you’ve worked there 5 years or more. Can’t remember exactly by how much. I wish it could be more but I’m not gna complain as it could be worse.

So Americans of NUF, tell me if this is true about your leave. Or if it’s not how many weeks off do you get in general. And the rest of NUF, please comment your country and how much leave you get in a year.

Thanks~

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uh...no. people accrue paid leave based on how many hours they work. you can take off as well and be unpaid. now if your place of employ wants to be a jackass about it, they could try to terminate you for doing so.

Americans do however, rarely use any time off. our society is a capitalistic nightmare. a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck and a lot of places underemploy people and then use that to blackmail people into working extra hours or taking more shifts

3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends heavily on the place. For where I work, it's generally like. You get 3 weeks of leave a year, but if you don't use them all you can stockpile them. After 17 years you could theoretically take a full year of paid leave.

Do note that this is actually REALLY GOOD working conditions. They also have employee healthcare and retirement benefits, and that is really top notch for an American company.

But if you're working minimum wage to about 2x minimum wage it's unlikely to even have paid leave. That's how it is for probably 40-60% of American workers (last I checked the numbers), and without paid leave people really can't take breaks. I know at least 3 people (usually relatives of friends) who have to work 80+ hours a week, and usually even if offered leave they aren't able to take it.

Poor_Hero, Anon2.0, Risus and 2 others like this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Over here you have 30 days per year of vacations. You're allowed by law to sell 10 of those days to get some extra cash (1/3rd of your salary), but no more. You're forced to take at least 20 days of vacation per year.

Also, when you take your 20-30 days of vacations, you also gain 1/3rd of your salary on top of your monthly wage as a bonus (This always happens, regardless of you selling 10 days or not. The 10 days just add another 1/3rd of your salary as an extra bonus).

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    My company doesn't allow to convert paid leaves into actual money and my leaves are much lower than others (I only have 11 days worth of leaves annually) and can only carry forward 3 days leaves. Anymore carried forward and I will have to got to HR for some questioning.

Though to be fair, why my leaves are 11 days while others are kicking in at 21 days is probably because they have childcare leaves plus they worked a decade more than me, for now I have only experience pay raise but no leave days increase.

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    basically, the answer is just how shitty the company wants to be. Worker's rights have never been a priority in the US. people had to protest to get a 5-day workweek. In the process, many people were beaten and killed. previous generations benefited from rights/unions that no longer exist and are the same people calling my generation "entitled".

Risus, Mikey, Lurking and 3 others like this.
  7. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country we got menstrual leave for 2 days and maternity leave for 3 months and still get paid in full. :cookie::blobokhand:

Poor_Hero, Lurking, akki and 2 others like this.
  8. 1ia

1ia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your job. My job gives me 10 days off per year, and my sibling gets 5+ weeks off a year

akki likes this.
  9. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    My dad does a government job and he get 30 days annual leave excluding the holidays and other CLs. But private sector might be bit different from the government ones. ( Yes maternity leaves are also given )

10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Mr. Hamster told me yesterday that he thinks that his job gives both paternity and maternity leave (he thinks for 8 weeks?) and I was surprised. Getting either really depends on the job and paternity leave is much less likely that maternity leave. I’ve heard how some moms are forced to go back to work a few days to a week after giving birth. But then, this was the job that allowed him to spend the whole first week with me when I was in the hospital for two months back in the fall. He had to go back after that because he’d used up all the paid leave he’d accrued, since he hadn’t been at the job very long. And I learned for the first time yesterday that when he had to help me for the month after I got out of the hospital and it made him late for work, that ate into his paid leave too… :blobconfounded: So now I don’t know how I feel…

11. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    im lucky if i get 3 days off. its generally a brag right if a job gives 1 paid day off a month.

prior job was lucky enough to get like 6 days off paid a year.

which country pls

12. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    Worldwide, menstrual leave is currently offered only in a small number of countries including Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Korea and Zambia

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/...y-to-introduce-a-3-day-menstrual-leave-for-wo

Poor_Hero and Lurking like this.
  13. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I live you get 4 weeks anual leave a year plus holidays if you work those, you get time and a half plus a day off to save for another day.

Lurking likes this.
  14. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Where

15. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    new zealand, I think it's even better in australia not to mention you get paid more, also the minimum wage in new zealand is 21.20

16. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    okay i wanted to go but i didnt realize how good it was there.