Discussion Another b-day and death anniversary thread, or that is not what the fox said on top of the mountain!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, May 7, 2020.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The second part of thread's title is referencing to the mountain peak of Paramount movie logo, as well as that popular song about what the fox said! It is arguably even a reference to how Paramount's main founding father and long-time boss, Adolph Zukor (1/7/1873-6/10/1976), was or arguably the main rival of Fox movie empire founder William Fox (1/1/1879-5/8-1979).

Now, for the first: On 5/8, Paramount turns 108. After Universal had its 108th on 4/30, Paramount is the second-oldest major American movie company. May 8 is also the 68th anniversary of William Fox's death! Happy b-day to Paramount and don't forget the contributions that Fox did to the film industry. It is comforting to know that Mr. Fox would hate the Disney-Fox merger and that Walt himself would likely have a lot of disappoint in it as well.

Note: For the record, a mountain peak near Ogden, Utah called Ben Lomond is traditionally considered to be the mountain for the Paramount logo. The story goes that during a meeting with Zukor, Paramount co-founder W.W. Hodkinson (8/16/1881–6/2/1971), who lived in Ogden for a time, scribbled the basis for the original logo on a napkin. While I don't know when in 1914 that meeting with Zukor was, I know that was the logo was first used in May 1914.

2. KuroKaze

KuroKaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ......Ah Well i learned something new today. So thanks for the info

3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    I am starting to think you are obsessed, so tell me the truth, did you have stock on fox movie studio, or are you an illegitimate son of the last owner or something.
    Cause only making threads about the fox-merger in a site about oriental novel translation does not scream mental health, and i'm frankly starting to get worried

Milanin, clmbheat and Starfox Stellar like this.
  4. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think more of a history fanatic with a bias on the movie industry. i'm the same. except i'm big on WWII.
    Nazi's may have been evil, but they still created some wicked shit. Me-262 case in point. i'd love to own one. in Canadian colors of course. lol

5. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither to both. I just like the history. I have an FB lady friend who is 1 of the most authoritative authorities on William Fox. She spent almost 11 years developing a book about him that was officially released a few days after Thanksgiving 2017.

-Fox selling back those Marvel rights to Disney? Sure. However, at least give Fox Lucasfilm. Then, at least Fox would have had at least 1 major media franchise (Star Wars) to mooch off of. Don't end a storied movie empire like that! It's sad!

6. Stormaggeddon

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucasfilm also created Pixar i believe. so Fox would make out like a bandit with that deal. lol

7. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    True, per its Wikipedia entry (which does cite its references): "Pixar Animation Studios (/ˈpɪksɑːr/) is an American computer animation studio based in Emeryville, California, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Studios. Pixar began in 1979 as part of the Lucasfilm computer division, known as the Graphics Group, before its spin-off as a corporation on February 3, 1986, with funding from Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who became its majority shareholder.[2]"

If I had the chance, I would like to have a one-on-one with Bob Iger and Rupert Murdoch. I would want to grill them until they, in tears and on live TV, admit it was stupid to end the Fox film empire as we knew the empire.

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    The current state of franchise reliance is the sad story here.
    I mean, tell me the last movie francose brought feom dead(terminator, star wars...) That was actually good.
    And whose fault is that, walt disney and friends that wanted to keep the mouse out of public domain so their current state, is basicaly their fault.
    The public domain is the best source for creativity. (Ignore the last five robin hood movies)

9. Stormaggeddon

Reading List:
    Link
    not all Robin Hood movies were bad. the comedy version was terrible though. other than Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves(awesome btw) there is one other i remember. it had Russel Crowe who ended up becoming Robin to please a blind dying old man. he got a wife in the bargain and created another legend that is Robin Hood. haven't seen the latest movie yet so vote is still pending.

10. Stormaggeddon

Reading List:
    Link
    now i know i'm smoking something strange. my above post has nothing to do with this thread. too many threads on the brain. lol

11. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, if Fox was kept as is but sold their Marvel rights back to Disney in exchange for Lucasfilm and then 21st Century Fox sold at least $10 billion in assets to a non-Disney company, I would not mind working at 20th Century Fox. Heck, if I was read up on the comics, I would propose that 20CF try making a film franchise based off of Captain Battle. While the original version of this 1940s patriotic American superhero is now public domain, any new version or alteration is copyright-able.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021