Question Any good Medieval Fantasy Books?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnknownSaint171, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this first started in 1956! Dam a little overwhelming but truly a novel ahead of its time lol

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Spice and wolf
    May your soul rest in Magdala

3. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, since you guys are apparently uncultured philistines, let me actually explain this whole WH40k thing to you:

First, there was Warhammer Fantasy released in 1983 by Games Workshop, which was a dark fantasy tabletop wargame with miniatures and complex rules. This is the setting that was adapted to Total War: Warhammer.

Then there was Warhammer 40k, which took the races of Warhammer Fantasy, brought them to SPAAAAAACE, and then dialed up the grimdark to 11. However, this was still a miniatures wargame, with so-called "Codexes" for each new release that updated the ruleset and added a metric crapton of new lore and advanced the timeline of the setting. On top of that, there is the Black Library, which is a loose collection of all the OFFICIAL books endorsed by Games Worksop. There are hundreds of such books by numerous authors, similarly how Forgotten Realms and other D&D settings have hundreds of books written for them. In the case of the Black Library, you can find anything from epic space operas through introspective philosophical works on the nature of humanity and religion to small-scale adventure stories of commissars with low self-esteem repeatedly saving entire planets with their wits and strategic application of melta-guns.

The Dawn of War series and the other video game adaptations (which there are a lot of, as Games Workshop has been whoring out the license as of late) are so far removed from the actual main canon and the hundreds of books written in the past three and a half decades that your claims of "fan-fiction" are not even funny, as it's as if you said the Lord of the Rings is just some fan-fiction written by someone about Shadow of Mordor. There should be a limit to how uninformed someone can get in the age of Google, don't you agree?
    Also, how did WH40k even come up in a discussion about medieval fantasy on the first place...?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Gitami likes this.
  4. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for clarification :love:

5. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are welcome. I was a little worked up when I wrote my reply, I'm glad you didn't take it personally.

As for the OP, I would honestly ask for further clarification, as Overlord is quite a unique beast, while having magic and knights is quite broad, as seen by the recommendations being all over the place.

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The Reluctant Swordsman

My Castle, My Castellan

7. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I second Amber Sword. He takes a more proactive approach of having a goal and moving to said goal. Nobles and noble authority and oaths and duty is more prominently shown and discussed. It's closer to Overlord than the other two I list below.

LE Modesitt Spell song sorcerous, about a music teacher who was teleported to a medieval world where singing is the incantation for spells. Anna would have to deal with invading army while fending off the prejudice and corruption of her summoning kingdom and eventually implement reforms.

LE Modesitt Recluse saga, chaos and order, white and black magicians are two opposing orders of magic. Swords exist and there are town guards but are not prominent features, in white stories they tend to be cannon fodder reports- chaos fire melted a squad of men at arm. Each book follow different heroes who have to find their place in life - finding jobs, learning to use their power, dealing with shit and settling down. Many of them are growth stories involving young to middle aged adults.

LE Modesitt characters become very powerful but are still reactionary to the ambitions of others. It's more alive of life style than epic quests.

8. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, tales of the reincarnated lord is pretty good if you don’t mind cutting of in the middle of the story cos the author and his publisher had a spat over it having some raunchy content that he refused to remove.

Another good one, if you don’t mind QI, is an original called rise of the lord.

9. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your informative answer, nah i did not take to offensive as I'm too ignorant of the subject lol.
    Thank you ill make sure to read them! I'm surprised how isekai-like stories existed in the west. Does Reluctant swordsman have any romance? I can't find much info on the novel

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a long sample and yes there is romance. At least there is sex
    It is probably old enough to start modern isekai trends

Thread Status: