Question Anyone deliberately not finish novels/series?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hamski, Mar 16, 2021.

?

Do you sometimes leave novels you like unfinished?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find after I finish a novel/series/show I particularly like I always get post-series depression, so lately I just stop somewhere in the middle when I like something. I'm curious if anyone else does this or if I'm weird.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Always finish serieses I like. I mean, isn't that why one begins reading in the first place? To know how it goes till the end? Can't make a fair evaluation of any series until I read the endingfor me, it is the appropriateness of ending that makes or mars a series.

Ddraig, Bright_Lucky_Star and Hamski like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I just drop a lot of novels by the end because that's when they really turn to shit (if they hadn't already before) and when I see that there's 10 chapters left and there's no way there will be a decent ending I'm just dropping the novel.

I've dropped Stellar Transformations (5-10 chapters before the end, been a long time so not sure), Great Demon King 20 chapters before the end, The Ultimate Evolution 10 chapters before the end, God and Devil Word 50-100ish chapters before the end, and probably a bunch more I've forgotten about.

Honorable mention: Coiling Dragon, I would've dropped it but the ending came out of nowhere and the author just made the MC jump from half-way-ish to the peak power level to the absolute peak and instantly beat the final boss and uncover all the secrets behind the universe etc. etc. in 2 chapters, so the novel ended before I got the chance to drop it.

For the record I've only completed like 4~6 CN webnovels: Night Ranger, Coiling Dragon, Transcendental Mechanic (aka The Legendary Mechanic), and Warlock of the Magus World, A Step Into The Past.

Not really, at least not with Chinese webnovels, cause we all know how they end before we even begin reading.

I just read so long as I find it interesting/entertaining and don't read when I don't.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Hamski likes this.
  4. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Was including manga too. And assuming that I still enjoy the series. Note, I take the OP's question to mean leaving a series they still like unfinished rather than dropping a series towards the end due to it beginning to lose steam.

And even if CN endings are predictable, I still like to see how the author ends them.

Hamski likes this.
  5. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I tend to temporarily 'drop' the novels I'm really interested in when I think I'll get too immersed in it and put off important work.

6. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    I try to leave behind atleast 1-3 chapters into the finale when reading mangas or novels lol....
    Mostly because of the reason above^^

Even with western books with continuations, asian dramas and tv series, I do it....
    I can't remember how many exactly but the things I finish can just be counted with my hands lmao. I am a person who's easily fed up and if detects unacceptable or a no-no ending, I won't finish it. If the story's too good however, I don't finish it to keep that 'fantasy' lmao

One concrete example for tv series would be (don't hate me for this cuz some would actually agree with this) Game of Thrones Season 7(I was up only till ep 3 at this thing cuz ugh no) and How I Met Your Mother last episode (well, I actually finished this BUT wished I didn't)

Saorihirai and Astaroth like this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of novels get bad towards the end or long before, but of the few novels that don't, the vast majority have terrible sudden endings that quickly end the series out of nowhere.

If I'm reading a 1k long series and I'm at chapter 980+ but it feels like I'm at the 75% point in the novel with a lot of questions left that can't get answered in so few chapters, I know it's gonna get bad, and as soon as I get a hint of that I'm out.

But long as I don't actually read the following chapters I can still like the novel, while if I read the ending I won't (or at least I will like it less/not like the ending), so it's not necessarily that I drop it because I don't like the novel anymore.

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is seldom, but sometimes it is hard to continue a novel I really like, because I'm afraid the author f*cks up his novel.
    This usually happens, when I'm really invested in the characters/story and I don't want the plot to go a certain way.

9. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see why some would want an ending. Personally, stopping in the middle will most likely leave me with a better feeling than if I finished it. This way there is a feeling that I can come back to that feeling of a good story any time I want without the loss that comes with finishing a story. I don't necessarily need or want a conclusion to the story, I think because I get attached to the characters/world.

After writing this, I've realized basically I'm a big clingy baby LOL

otaku31 likes this.
  10. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Even when I can tell the author is not going to be able to wrap things up nicely in the remaining chs, I still continue... I simply have to know how it ends. That assuming I am still enjoying the series at that very moment, ofc.

If I'm very, very close to the end, I have to see with my one eyes how it ends... even if it ends up ruining the series for me. If I'm "spoilt" about the ending a bit before, and it's apparently a terrible one, them maybe, just maybe, I might be convinced to drop.

There's no fixed formula I hv for calculating this; it mostly depends on my mood then and attachment to the series in question.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Astaroth and Hamski like this.
  11. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two reasons as to why I would drop a novel I like. One, I've been waiting for chapters to update and I got lazy too lazy to read it after waiting for a long time, or second, I get scared of finishing the novel. I get really emotional whenever I finish a kdrama, novel, or anime. That's just me. It's unbearable.

12. anaeia

anaeia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After finishing a good book/manhwa/manga, I get really bad post-series depression like you. So yes I deliberately leave some unfinished.

It's hard to move on y'know?

13. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yess I do, like in denial, I dont want it to end

14. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I never finished quite a few web novels I enjoyed. Main reason is that endings in web novels tend to be incredibly disappointing whether it was coiling dragon which I had high hopes for or immortal mortal which I was rather expecting a very bad ending(it was worse than expected). Pretty much every web novel I've finished the last arc and ending were terrible which I assume is mainly because the author was dragging it out so long that he/she couldn't be bothered to put in anymore effort.

Worst ending though definitely goes to coiling dragon, it was just such bad pacing and abrupt. How it ended was completely unsatisfying.

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    devil is a part-timer...didn't like who he ended up with.

16. nightbutterfly

nightbutterfly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I read them till finish. I just dropped it when the story no longer make me interested, tho I still check if the story ended or not yet

otaku31 likes this.
  17. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read those I like till the end or those I want a happing ending to the end. There are great stories that has a plot line I patricianly have an issue with or repeats the same tropes over and over again. Those I leave half way.

18. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop them around chapter 180-ish

19. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Only for the reason of binge reading it after stockpiling a few hundred chapters or so.

20. Synthium

Synthium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done so many times, actually, for a variety of reasons:
    1. I understand that the ending is a tragedy and don't wish to feel sad.
    2. The novel/series starts to turn into a plotless pile of filler words.
    3. Similar to the previous reason, I simply just lose interest in said novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.