Discussion Anyone else getting disgusted by KR BL and CN brotherhood?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Viser, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viser

Viser Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost all popular novels I am reading seems to have this problem. They have a very unrealistic view of male friends. KR author seems to straight up write BL hints between them while CN author has male friends which can sacrifice their lives or climb the mountain of knives for each other.

Worst they become like this for each other with barely any development at all. Then they will start treating MC like some god perfect being. Why not just write about a more realistic male friend without being too gay or blind worship of MC.

They seem to follow the same kind of template so I keep finding their dialogues repetitive too and they become too boring to read about. Some novels even have the potential love interests having more personality compared to them.

It just needs some realistic dialogues, distinct personalities, no worship and no being gay and you will have a wonderful crew of refreshing male characters.

Maybe they still have the targeted audience as I see people shipping them or getting touched by such friendship. I personally just read it for the story itself and it would be nice to have some realistic friends which can have normal conservation and behavior without making the story mood weird.

Cream, Chryseum, Poor_Hero and 5 others like this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji had some pretty okay male friendships, I guess? :blobunsure:

asriu, Shio and MangoGuy like this.
  3. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, one of the reasons why I dropped I am the Monarch is because of the feeling of 'brotherhood' nearing the creepy level.

otaku31, Viser and Ziavory like this.
  4. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    1 message and joined back in 2016. O_O
    wow this must have rattled you pretty bad.

compass96, Loni4ever, Ripple and 17 others like this.
  5. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    It`s called BroLove ... that`s what BL stands for ^_^

Helaine likes this.
  6. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rustled his jimmies

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall summon the expert @Hoshiandme whats your thought .

Hoshiandme likes this.
  8. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read or watch Wuxias more instead then, you can see true Brotherhood there and they're all basically the same level but yeah i completely agree with you, most Translated CNs have friends worship them, how the hell is that true brotherhood when they're not equal or anything lol
    From what I've seen Trash of the Count family might be brotherhood? Choi Han and Cale? Idk it sometimes feels like Choi Han fanatical worshiping him at some points and Cale doesn't always see him as a brother but monster lol
    Or we can just watch Yugioh and enjoy some Joey brotherhood lol, I'm sure there are good JPs that have good bromance

9. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, many of the popular KR novels nowadays r just fujo-bait. :blob_coughblood:
    And the instant life-and-death friendship in many CNs is equally unpalatable. :notlikeblob:

10. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In some Chinese stories it seems like if you're not willing to die for the MC then you're not worth befriending.

Wujigege, readerz, Shio and 3 others like this.
  11. Quillink

Quillink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get where you are coming from, but some people just click. However usually the MC will sacrifice himself too for his friends though. So it's give and take. Also, count your blessing superbros at least have some personalties, rather than the harem girls.

That being said, I can't see myself having that many friends that I'd trust that much, but I have the Charisma of a rotting slime corpse, not even a necromancer would look at me twice.

readerz, Cream and raysha18 like this.
  12. Chryseum

Chryseum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that there is always that one guy in KR novels that sees the Mc being op and suddenly starts treating him like a god and would do anything for him, it is like the author could find no better way to make one of the MCs friend actually put his life on the line for him when there is no benefit and he is putting his life on the line for the Mc to get more xp, it just feels too forced and fake.

Cream, Viser and otaku31 like this.
  13. Araias

Araias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you man. I'm fucking sick of finding a good KR novel and be forced to abandon it because of borderline BL. One example is Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

readerz, Cream, Chryseum and 2 others like this.
  14. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    The CN one is from chinese brotherhood tradition.. dunno whats the KR came out from tho..

Cream and otaku31 like this.
  15. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a good tag to add to NU. "Borderline BL".

16. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    No u

17. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly it's any webnovel/lightnovel anymore. It's symptomatic of the entire entertainment industry. They all find themselves drawing from the same character and story templates. As a marketing strategy, I suppose it works. But it creates the same cookie-cutter like stories every time. If you want originality or even creativity, you won't really find it in these things. After a while you just see the same types of tropes conglomerate together. That's the problem when you strictly write to "entertain" and for money rather than explore deeper concepts, or write meaningfully for yourself. You get shallow copies of things that worked over and over as the market never likes to risk anything. By itself, it doesn't seem so bad. But the more it happens the more dissatisfied you become with such things, as empty stories that have no soul get put out one after another. It makes things that creators truly put their heart into, and make art out of, stand out in our minds.

EnuoFH, Cream and Viser like this.
  18. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    well brotherhood is all well and good but in most cases;
    Arrogant etc: You dare!
    MC: I strong I dare I insult you
    friend: Good you have guts, lets be friends I would sacrifice anything for you!

then you find out later that the friend is tortured to force the mc out after which they never see each other again after the mc moved to a different direction(north south east west)

joey183, Chryseum and Cream like this.
  19. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    this is the ultimate bro

20. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. Expert. Why. Thank you.

So, as a lover of BL, I am not disgusted by BL in Korean novels and Chinese novels. But there’s a place for anything and everything. And BL in a NOT BL novel is one of those. And I understand OP’s opinion and thoughts. I too have read my fair share of weird interactions between male characters in what is usually a straight novel.
    But I’m actually a little confused, can OP write examples of such popular novels? The novel’s at the top of my head that are KN and CN that are popular have some really good bromance. That has BL HINTS. But we know it isn’t and there’s depth and meaning.

Maid Chan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.