Discussion Anyone interested in voice chat READING CLUB on Discord?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NerdChina, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The club will host a weekly 30 minutes or less meetup to discuss novel(s) the group is currently reading thru voice chat. The discussion can be around anything. We can chat about the author, story line, world building, characters, and stupid things that don't make sense...and maybe deconstruct the reason why.

The meetup have 3 simple requirements:
    1. No spoilers. Only discuss up to the chapters the group agreed on.
    2. Hurt feelings happen, but if you can't be civilized and respectful, expect a boot.
    3. All participants are required to read up to x chapters a day.
    You can read more if you want as long as you don't spoil it for others during the discussion. If the number of chapters are not enough, we can increase the number read per day. The structure is subject to change based on the group's need. For example, we can decide to read an extra chapter ahead during our live discussion where we get to have fun analyzing it together. The reading will be done in real-time whether that's reading aloud, along, or in the head (eg., sub-vocalization).

I can schedule two meetups a day and try to work with your schedules. Right now, we just started reading Monarch of Evernight (Chinese / 2 people reading) and Trash of the Count's Family (Korean / 3 people reading). What other novels should we read?

Join our Discord channel below to keep up to date when we go live.
    • Discord
    • Live Stream so you can see visually which part of the chapter we're discussing.
    Questions? Suggestions? Concerns? Awkwardness? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read some very specific genres...so I'll be embarrassed to read that with other people.

4. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting, but there are so many different people who prefer different genres...

lilysmith likes this.
  5. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    You read yaoi as guy.

Ziavory and lilysmith like this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a good idea(at least to me) but I am not sure you are asking the right people here, NUF is basically a big reading club where people agree to disagree and where each goes by his/hers/it own pace and then some would rant about something they liked/didn't like and so on, and I am not talking about *cough* the degenerates here, so I am not sure you are going to find many supporters here :hmm:

craz, Reak, Jiggy and 5 others like this.
  7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    This is only fun when you meet offline, or at least including live-cam, beside just live-chat. If not, then just make a discord server, and it will already be enough.

8. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    This might be possible for surface level readers but what about us gentlemen who’ve ventured into the depths... Voice chats in particular!:notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:
    Might ya be an extreme masochist~?!!!

craz, Jiggy, Fallion and 3 others like this.
  9. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    The idea itself is not bad, but take me for example, I read pretty much anything apart from sleazy harems (ok with normal ancient China harems) and yuri... but the thing is say you wanna discuss some novel on Monday, say I even liked it - then I’d read it ahead and binge on it- by the time Monday comes around I would be already on another novel of a different genre....

10. therethen

therethen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reader, there is satisfaction in reading alone, the joy of solitude and also most readers usually wouldn't want to reveal their own identity, but yeah, this is a nice idea.
    Grammatical error in the title btw, started -> starting.

AMissingLinguist and craz like this.
  11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the others have kindly replied. Good idea with good intentions, but bad execution with bad people.
    Though this is a place of creativity, and mainly discussing novel-related, nonetheless, it is a society of introverts and degenerates. Perhaps I'm wrong or right about the overall population, but this at least I'm sure, the amount of normal folks who like the outdoors are either lower or equal to the amount of folks that like depraved, highly sensitive, and unique content. Thus, I speak for some of the extreme persons of such occupations, we shall kindly reply with a decline to your group activity.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  12. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    only fun if in real life over soft drinks.
    that's what bookclubs at the library are for

agree. binge reading is best.

lilysmith likes this.
  13. MinxMean

MinxMean Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is interesting idea but as previously said by Gentleman, It would be awkward when such scene happened.

One must have the same type of genre that they likes, or you might feel so darn awkward that you wanted to dig a hole to hide.

lilysmith likes this.
  14. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting.... what do you think about bl?

lilysmith likes this.
  15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    REAL LIFE SUCKS

16. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys raised some very good points.

I definitely don't want to make anyone feel awkward =D And I know most of you have read almost ALL of the recent novels to the latest chapter. To solve that issue, the group as a whole can select up to 2 novels where you either want to read or have started reading it, and we'll pick a time to meetup and chat about what the heck we just read. I'll facilitate the meetup in 2 sessions for each of the novel selected at different times.

I prefer any type of novel that has any combination of the following genre adult, seinen, mature, fantasy, wuxia, xian xia, martial arts. The story can be slice of life, josei, romance, harem, ecchi. I just hope the novel at least includes some of the genre I mentioned.

In response to finding comfort in reading alone and awkward moments from certain scene, I think there is entertainment from sharing an embarrassing scene together and the chance to hear people's thoughts on what's happening in the story in real-time. I understand where you guys are coming from. I also don't know how things will pan out...but it'll be pretty dang awesome to make some real buddies over the Internet with shared common interest.

17. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely out of my comfort zone. I've never read one before but maybe it'll be a fun discussion.

Shizukani likes this.
  18. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a book reading club in which we used to read selected orignal novels fortnightly.

19. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link

I binge read novels like ISSTH and A Will Eternal in days. One reason for this scheduled conversation is to help me cut back on binge reading. Now, I only read as much as required for the meetup discussions. It's rough not being able to read the next chapter, but for personal work life balance, I think it's helping.

Call me a masochist but when I do finally get to read after holding back from binges, it feels a m a z i n g! lol

20. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No...but I can't decide if it's better or worse.

...I couldn't decide whether to say this, but a lot of people on this site already know...for some reason I forgot about that.
    So, I like gender bender. And for some reason I only like gender bender when there's a man turning into a woman. And if there's romance in it, I only read those that have the gender bent person ending up with a male love interest.

I generally love yuri, and I won't read yaoi even if you pay me. But for some reason I find gender bender yuri to be an abomination, like its wasted potential. I only read it if it's straight and I don't like female-to-male either.

Though I have no desire to turn into a woman either, I'm not transexual...but if I got the chance to fuck a man who got magically turned into a beautiful woman? I might have to think about that a little.

...so anyway, it's not something you'd like to discuss as a group.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Lucenda and Sordahon like this.