Discussion Anyone interested in voice chat READING CLUB on Discord?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NerdChina, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yea, I know about that manga. It updates quite frequently. Though I haven't read it yet.

Also haven't read 1/2 prince because...as I've said, I'm indifferent to any gender bender other than male-to-female ones that's not yuri(though I will still be into it even if it doesn't have any romance). 1/2 prince is a girl playing as a male character. And it's in a game so its also not something that'll she'll end up remaining as by the end of the story.

Well, if you like that sort of novels I know a hilarious novel that's right up your alley. Why Not Soar Your Majesty is about the female lead who plays a male character and messes around with women in game and the righteous male lead who plays a female character. lol
    Super funny. A must read.

2. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    1/2 Prince is far deeper than that, Her cousin loves her and clashes with Gui who fell in love with her male character because he is gay, he loves MC male form while cousin loves MC female form.

3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it kinda ironic how me, one of the first person to straight up deny OP's suggestion, ended up being the only person to do basically exactly what he suggested ON HIS OWN THREAD! lol

And yea..no, I don't like love triangles or that type of drama...the gay guy falling for her sounds funny and makes me want to read it...but cousin? Just why?

4. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think cousin is just translation as to how in China everyone treats friends as brothers and sisters.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  5. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The club will host a weekly 30 minutes or less meetup to discuss novel(s) the group is currently reading thru voice chat. The discussion can be around anything. We can chat about the author, story line, world building, characters, and stupid things that don't make sense...and maybe deconstruct the reason why.

The meetup have 3 simple requirements:
    1. No spoilers. Only discuss up to the chapters the group agreed on.
    2. Hurt feelings happen, but if you can't be civilized and respectful, expect a boot.
    3. All participants are required to read up to x chapters a day.
    You can read more if you want as long as you don't spoil it for others during the discussion. If the number of chapters are not enough, we can increase the number read per day. The structure is subject to change based on the group's need. For example, we can decide to read an extra chapter ahead during our live discussion where we get to have fun analyzing it together. The reading will be done in real-time whether that's reading aloud, along, or in the head (eg., sub-vocalization).

I can schedule two meetups a day and try to work with your schedules. Right now, we just started reading Monarch of Evernight (Chinese / 2 people reading) and Trash of the Count's Family (Korean / 3 people reading). What other novels should we read?

Join our Discord channel below to keep up to date when we go live.
    • Discord
    • Live Stream so you can see visually which part of the chapter we're discussing.
    Questions? Suggestions? Concerns? Awkwardness? Let us know in the comments below. (old conversation: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/anyone-interested-in-starting-a-live-reading-club.86022/)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think since we have readers from all over the world, being able to find a time that can accommodate the time differences is going to be hard, even with the 2 schedules.

Just wondering, what made you interested in having a live session?

7. killking

killking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you already count me?

8. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not yet! Are you interested? :O

9. killking

killking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was the guy that gave an advice (or oppinion) not to reread whole chapters and asked for time and timezone. Id call that interested.

Tho I have to decide once we finish discussing the frequency and time, aswell as the Novels itself. But that doesnt have to happen in this threat.

NerdChina likes this.
  10. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently reading The Amber Sword and interested in what the translator does and reads.

NerdChina likes this.
  11. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm hosting to session for morning and evening which I hope will fit most people's schedule. I think live discussion are a great way to think out loud and share thoughts around a shared common interests which myself and others don't have much opportunity to in real life for various reasons (eg., environment, school, work). And when is it that someone can have a real-time conversation with someone who enjoys web novel from across the states or another country?

12. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The club will host a weekly 30 minutes or less meetup to discuss novel(s) the group is currently reading thru voice chat. The discussion can be around anything. We can chat about the author, story line, world building, characters, and stupid things that don't make sense...and maybe deconstruct the reason why.

The meetup have 3 simple requirements:
    1. No spoilers. Only discuss up to the chapters the group agreed on.
    2. Hurt feelings happen, but if you can't be civilized and respectful, expect a boot.
    3. All participants are required to read up to x chapters a day.
    You can read more if you want as long as you don't spoil it for others during the discussion. If the number of chapters are not enough, we can increase the number read per day. The structure is subject to change based on the group's need. For example, we can decide to read an extra chapter ahead during our live discussion where we get to have fun analyzing it together. The reading will be done in real-time whether that's reading aloud, along, or in the head (eg., sub-vocalization).

I can schedule two meetups a day and try to work with your schedules. Right now, we just started reading Monarch of Evernight (Chinese / 2 people reading) and Trash of the Count's Family (Korean / 3 people reading). What other novels should we read?

Join our Discord channel below to keep up to date when we go live.
    • Discord
    • Live Stream so you can see visually which part of the chapter we're discussing.
    Questions? Suggestions? Concerns? Awkwardness? Let us know in the comments below. (previous thread: https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...e-reading-club-on-discord.86072/#post-4918003)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  13. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    35 chapters is a lot buddy. This might alienate a large group of interested people who just don't have 3 hours to sacrifice every day.

14. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What chapter are you on and what date and time would work best for you once a week?

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  15. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the catch. I just changed that to x amount - TBA

16. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to let you know since you're new, promoting your disco is not allowed here.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  17. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Nonononononono. The reason why I read books is to avoid talking to people.

Cream, AMissingLinguist and otaku31 like this.
  18. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough! =)

19. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will remove link asap. Ty for the reminder

20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Best of luck, but Ai-chan will certainly not join. You see, reading webnovels is something like a guilty pleasure, something private for Ai-chan. While Ai-chan can discuss about writing, discussing about stories is kind of cringy. There was a time when Ai-chan had a writing camp with a guy who's also on novelupdates. He talked about a novel we both read, with much passion, but Ai-chan just nods and smiles because it feels very cringy to talk about fiction.