Discussion Anyone interested in voice chat READING CLUB on Discord?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NerdChina, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a very valid reason. I think I'm more comfortable talking about webnovels online by typing than verbally talking to someone.

Sometimes people have just very strong opinions. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be better if the person is self aware and knows when to let others speak as well. Otherwise, it's only fun for one party and not the other.

What would help is structure. I've participated in two of my local bookclubs.

In Bookclub A, the host would have a list of questions, about 12-15. One person reads aloud the question, and the group discuss, then next person reads aloud the question followed by group discussion. If there are a lot of people attending the bookclub that day, like 20-30 people, we split into small groups of about 5-6 people so that everyone can at least have a chance to raise their voice. If the group is too big, it's hard for people to be heard. We try to pick good books, and you can google "bookclub questions" for that particular book so you don't have to make up your own questions.

In Bookclub B, there isn't any structure, and people just talk about what they want to talk about. The group size is around 10 people. It's not that fun at this one because the conversations aren't as intellectually stimulating as in Bookclub A. The topic tends to be all over the place. Sometimes people next to each other start discussion on their own, which is not a bad thing, but the rest won't be able to hear their point of view.

I think, depending on how many people, 30 min might not be enough. It feels very tight, so it's better to allocate 1 hour and you can end it if you can finish early. In the above where I mentioned the bookclubs, Bookclub A is usually around 2 hours, but that's because we gather at a restaurant and eat at the same time. At Bookclub B, it's one hour, and we do it at the local library, so no food as a distraction. It was a long hour though, because the conversations are just meandering around.

Since you're going to be hosting, I would suggest that you check out some local bookclubs and see how they run things, and bring whatever is relevant to the online platform. I'm only suggesting this because you seem quite serious about the webnovel bookclub.

2. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Amber sword around book 2 chapter 200.
    I started reading grandmaster strategist to chapter 5 or 10.
    We can read German time 10 pm.

3. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grandmaster Strategist is really different. I read up to chapter ~50 I think and stopped temporarily.

Alrighty. I'll check the time and pm you later.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.