Discussion Anyone preparing for NaNoWriMo?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Slayerwolfx2, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any ideas for NaNoWriMo?
    Do you plan on participating this year?
    Have you participated in NaNoWriMo before?

Personally I'm pretty excited for this year's NaNoWriMo. I tried really hard two years ago but failed to reach the goal. Last year I barely even got started. This year I want to win so much!

What are your stories and thoughts about this year's NaNoWriMo?

Personally, I don't know if I will be continuing a story I had dropped previously, or starting a new one. I think I've dropped and started way too many stories to just throw a new one, so I'm most likely going to continue an old dropped story.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda want to do a dull chronicle style story that no one could get through, kinda like the way the Silmarillion is written. Wouldn't be a great story, but it would just be a fun world-building exercise.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    50k in a single month? That's waaay outa my league.

Slayerwolfx2 and otaku31 like this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    50k words in a month? Impossibru! IIRC, it took me two whole days to flesh out a 1.5k words short story and that too after I had completely drafted it in my head. But best of luck on your attempt. May countless inspirations come your way and writers' blocks stay away! :blobhero:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried one year and stopped at around 14k words.

I have no intention of participating again though, I'd rather just write at my own pace instead of trying to write for a contest~

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  6. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I say go for it!
    Don't underestimate yourself, you never know what you are able of unless you test your limits.
    Thank you for the well wishes ~
    Understandable, it's not everyone's style to write in that kind of pacing.

That said, I wish you well on your adventures in writing~

And as a fellow Nufian said,

May countless inspirations come your way and writers' blocks stay away!

Femme Fatale, otaku31 and AliceShiki like this.
  7. Yansusustories

Yansusustories Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did take part in NaNo for several years in a row and I've taken a lot away from it. At that time (been a bit since then), it was really fun to start something completely new and then get as far into the story as possible. So I would definitely recommend people give it a try. It's definitely not for everyone since some people really hate to write following a word count but for some people, it's exactly the right way to just start the gears for a project and keep motivated. If you plan a short(er) project, it's even possible to actually finish the first draft in that one month.

Personally, I am not taking part anymore because while it was really nice when I started out, the experience soured fairly fast when I took part in it together with some people from the writing community I was in back then. NaNo is always an 'we struggle together'. If you don't struggle, you won't be looked at kindly.
    Now, I'm just doing my own personal word count goals each month and am happy when I reach them or try harder the next month if its a close-call. I also don't use the NaNo website anymore even though I really liked it. Updating that graph every day was definitely one of the things that was super motivating about it because you could visualize so well just how you had done already.