Discussion Anyone understand Royal Road L Ranking System?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by J-Mitch, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    How are novels ranked? What is this advanced statistic? Who rates them? How do they rate them?

The only rating I see is if you want to add to someone's reputation.

Some Damn, *******, put me down for 4.75/5 on grammar. Grammar? I'm a definite 5/5.

But like I am asking. How are these novels ranked. The overall? I've been using RRL as an author not a reader, so i'm a bit new to this.

* Update: Someone really ruined my reviews just because I complained about grammar? It wasn't even the right story. What has the world come to? They haven't even read it based on the views. The cruelty of human nature. Ah. The cruelty.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    first of all nice shameless advertising.

secondly for royal road that's 'the group' which is kind of the 'official' reviews where they deconstruct the shit out of novels there and others usually only write a sentence or paragraph at maximum

3. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    For overall, or for advanced statistics, or both?

The group. How intriguing.

4. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    the group basically find a novel I don't know how and deconstruct it based on their criteria of the story setting writing and other things. for advanced statistics, i have no clue might want to try asking in royal roads forums
    http://royalroadl.com/forum/

5. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone with an account can rate a story on RRL out of 5 stars. They can even do it anonymously by simply not typing anything. They can also do an advanced review which allows them to rank several categories separately. The latest advanced reviews show up on the front page.

6. NasVersix

NasVersix [Natural A-hole]

Reading List:
    Link
    How?
    By the ratings.

What?
    It's so that the reviewers can give more details on THEIR OPINION of your story.

Who?
    Anyone really. It's not just limited to The Group. It's just that they're an official group that's 'job' is to make reviews on RRL.

How?
    However they like. If you have someone that just hate your story so much they'd dare to kill you but can't, or just someone's who just loves to troll authors, you can expect a 1/5 rating.

7. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone can make a review, as long as they have an account.
    They can either choose to give a single general score (out of 5 stars) or they can give an "Advanced Review", which just lets them score individual points of the story.

"The Group" is just a group (derp) that give extensive reviews to stories (often on request). But their score is not worth more or less than a regular person's review.

8. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The lowest is actually 0.5 stars.

In fact their reviews are worth less. The Group reviews don't give out stars, because people complained.

9. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. I looked into it. lol Apparently, the options are given at the bottom of the fiction page. Ah. Its so cumbersome that anyone could troll.

Even more worrisome that anyone can make an account and vote. Tsk. Tsk. This is why I have my own site to post my stuff. Free of all the discord.

Its a good think I use RRL is more of a promotional tool.

10. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'm debating down voting your fiction just cause you sound so pretentious. You got one general review, and are already complaining. Personally I don't give anyone 5/5 because no work is "perfect."

And how do you think other sites rate their fics lol? It's always random anons rating your stuff.

Rreelentless likes this.
  11. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I only sound pretentious because I'm in character. This is my character for now on NUF.

Anyway, Ah.. Just realized I put the link to the wrong story. lol Oh well. Now that you say it, rather not put that link up just in case. ;-)

Though, I love the prospects of this story better than the other, though that has way more views.

* Update: Someone really ruined my reviews just because I complained about grammar? It wasn't even the right story. What has the world come to? They haven't even read it based on the views. The cruelty of human nature. Ah. The cruelty.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got an idea.

Let's use NUF to complain about the rating system on RRL, and use RRL to complain about the rating system on NU.

@Tony will never see it coming!

... Or we could just keep doing both here, since ratings are ratings are ratings and they always suck.

13. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol dude are you butthurt somebody's down vote you :).

14. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be surprised that someone do that to you, because there is always a person who would do that.
    They're ranked by votes and views.

15. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah.. Just realized I put the link to the wrong story. lol Oh well. Now that you say it, rather not put that link up just in case. ;-)

Though, I love the prospects of this story better than the other, though that has way more views.

16. Cade2065

Cade2065 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought they rate each novel on how many views/ ratings.

17. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    * Someone really ruined my reviews just because I complained about grammar? It wasn't even the right story. What has the world come to? They haven't even read it based on the views. The cruelty of human nature. Ah. The cruelty.

18. Rarylith

Rarylith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're there to expose your writing, thus the mode of expression that is writing as to be sufficient to be easily readable. If you aren't capable of writing perfectly in a language it's okay but don't hope for me to give you a note superior to 3 or 4, depending on your level in said language.

Having bad grammar is like mixing wrongly the sound to make it hardly understandable by the listener, if it's so bad as i can't listen while understanding.. then it's shit.

There's really good story out there but the author doesn't even try to be readable sometime, just because your story is good doesn't means you're a good storyteller.

19. ninthlite

ninthlite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    grammer is pretty important for writers... If your writing makes people confused then people would understand what the hell your writing

Luc666-_- likes this.
  20. Luc666-_-

Luc666-_- Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont even understand the ranking system there and i've been writing there for some time now. It all goes above my head. But then again I stopped worrying about things like that for the most part. I write what I feel like. For grammar, I usually edit out mistakes as I find them, but later. I let them, the readers, know that I will edit later and I have gotten no complaints so far....

I feel the ranking system is shit. Both my stories have fairly good rankings but that's only because not many reviews have been made for them.

And I feel a lot of the reviews on RRL don't go into all that much depth.

Only the really popular stories get decently done reviews...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.